Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: WiOW that Jimmy Smith is sooo great LOL

He clearly needs to be coached up more.
    With an emphasis on focusing on not biting on double moves, obviously.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He will improve when the front 7 can get pressure.
    Agreed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: WiOW that Jimmy Smith is sooo great LOL

I have commented about Smith before. He doesn't look as good as I would expect but I'd give him until the end of the season. He obviously needs more experience. It's too soon to call him "bad" or a "bust" at this point IMHO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavNMadMan View Post
    I have commented about Smith before. He doesn't look as good as I would expect but I'd give him until the end of the season. He obviously needs more experience. It's too soon to call him "bad" or a "bust" at this point IMHO.
    I have been really disappointed in him so far, though. He'll need to improve a bunch to become a threat to opposing receivers.

I thought save for them two plays, the one Schaub missed and then the other big one to Walters I didn't think he don't much wrong

Blog Entries

Same issue when he came in last year, trying to hard to make plays. He needs to just play the WR. I still think he plays better than Williams. Throw at Williams is almost automatic. They both need to be at the LOS playing in the face, they are both 6'2. Smith will get better, but is not playing as well as we would have thought. I think Williams needs to go. Bring in someone with fire, he looks like he don't even care when he gives up plays. He plays with no passion.

We aren't using him right either.

Playing him off is asking for what's happening. He needs to be in the WR's face and physical with them probably 70 percent of the time. He is too big and doesn't have the hips to react well when playing off.

I think it was Gunther Cunningham who said in Smith's draft that these big tall CB's can't play off coverage because of their hips...ironically, he pointed out Nnamdi as the only one that could do it despite playing press man 80 percent of the time in Oakland

And it's not like it has to be man if he presses...it's ok when we play cover 2 to have him disrupt routes.

i thought smith wasgoing to be a chris mcallister.

he played big against the bengals last year and he played well in the afc champion ship game but if he couldn;t beat out cary "i play 10 yards off of the receiver" williams and seeing him play in webbs absence, he maybe a travis taylor like fierst round pick. not terrible but not good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He will improve when the front 7 can get pressure.
    Bingo....every QB we face can sip tea while scanning the field!

I think it's unfair to judge Smith prematurely. He still a "rookie" given that he missed a few games last year and was also further back on the depth chart. The next 9 games will provide a good sample of what he is and what he's not.
    Yes he's got be conscious of those double moves but remember that sometimes the secondary is only as good as your DL. He'll get exposed more if the DL can't get any pressure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I think it's unfair to judge Smith prematurely. He still a "rookie" given that he missed a few games last year and was also further back on the depth chart. The next 9 games will provide a good sample of what he is and what he's not.
    Yes he's got be conscious of those double moves but remember that sometimes the secondary is only as good as your DL. He'll get exposed more if the DL can't get any pressure.
    :word

Jimmy Smith is a young inexperienced CB, who had a bad game. Let's not go overboard over this performance. He will get a chance to get a lot of playing time this year. We will all see if he has what it takes to succeed in the NFL over the rest of the season. Getting Suggs back is huge, and he should get better and better each week, which will take some pressure off of Smith and the other CBs. Putting pressure on the QB changes everything, just ask Flacco today.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    We aren't using him right either.

Playing him off is asking for what's happening. He needs to be in the WR's face and physical with them probably 70 percent of the time. He is too big and doesn't have the hips to react well when playing off.
    Wanted to quote this for the new page.

I remember a few weeks ago on 1 Winning Drive you could hear him on the bench saying he wants to play press, implying he's not playing to his strengths.