Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

We found our JJ Replacement

Baltimore Ravens: Courtney Upshaw (2-35) has a Run Stop Percentage of 9.3, which leads all 3-4 outside linebackers, and is a higher mark than any 3-4 outside linebacker had in 2011.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ations-week-7/

Re: We found our JJ Replacement

I tried surfing this site and couldn't find the definition of run stop percentage? It's not clear to me. What is the definition?

Blog Entries

There may be no more flawed stat in the NFL today than the ‘unofficial’ tally: tackles. The main problem with tackles is that it tells us almost nothing about the player. The stat doesn’t indicate where the tackle was made, how many tackles were missed, and how many tackling opportunities the player had. In fact, it may be preferable for your linebackers to have lower tackle numbers. The Top 10 tackling teams have, on average, won 6.8 games the past four seasons. This should be no surprise as teams that lose more tend to be ran on more late in games when they are down and their linebackers, therefore, have more tackling opportunities.

We here at PFF think that there should be a better comparative stat to measure a linebacker’s run-stopping ability. The statistic we came up with is called Run Stop Percentage. This Signature Stat tells us all the important things that basic tackle numbers don’t, looking at where a tackle happened and whether it represented a win for the defense in terms of yardage.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...e-linebackers/

Interesting to note that Jameel McClain is ranked 81 out of 91 linebackers.

Blog Entries

McClain has always been a decent run defender...but he's not very good in coverage at all.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

As good as JJ was, Courtney Upshaw is arguably an upgrade to JJ of last year, even right now in his rookie year. Upshaw is better at bringing pressure which isn't hard because JJ bought virtually no pressure, he was essentially an extra MLB. I think Upshaw can eventually develop into a decent pass rusher, he is never going to be a monster pass rusher, but he will demand double teams in the run game for sure.

Now with Suggs back, the defense is essentially the same as it was last year when Ray was out, Upshaw is JJ, but McPhee is not Cory Redding which is part of our Dline woes, I also think Cody has regressed since last year. He was better with Redding next to him, because Redding is a big body guy and could eat up blockers from the 5 tech position which McPhee just isn't big or strong enough to do.

Jameel has regressed since getting his contract, and I honestly believe it's time we start McClellan next to Elerbee. Elerbee has improved his game, which is good to see.

Upshaw is progressing nicely. He collapses the pocket against the pass. He has gotten better as he has gotten into shape. If the defense is not much better coming out of the bye it will smell more like coaching issues. Don't expect them to be top 5 or top 10 but definitely should not be bottom 5 with Suggs and Upshaw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Upshaw is progressing nicely. He collapses the pocket against the pass. He has gotten better as he has gotten into shape. If the defense is not much better coming out of the bye it will smell more like coaching issues. Don't expect them to be top 5 or top 10 but definitely should not be bottom 5 with Suggs and Upshaw.
    Spot on mate. Upshaw is a big strong guy with huge hands, so he is going to be a straight up bullrusher through his career, he wont ever be a super athletic speed rusher. He will be a Justin Smith version of a 3-4 OLB instead of a 5 tech.

Blog Entries

So 1 game makes Upshaw the next JJ? How did he do in all the others?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    So 1 game makes Upshaw the next JJ? How did he do in all the others?
    Read the article again, it said through 7 games, not just week 7. Personally, I've never seen Upshaw make a mistake in the run game, he doesn't appear to miss tackles and holds the edge well. Shame Kruger is so incapable of that after 3 years in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I tried surfing this site and couldn't find the definition of run stop percentage? It's not clear to me. What is the definition?
    Good Q. And I'm not exactly sure that PFF answers it clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by from the PFF site

3-4 Outside Linebackers Run Stop Percentage (RSP): A player's impact in the running game is sometimes erroneously based on the total volume of tackles made. However, firstly, does that number include tackles on passing plays and, more importantly, did those tackles really count? Stops constitute a "loss" for the offense so this table shows the percentage of stops per snap played only in run defense.
    1. NFL.com and ESPN.com do not show TFL stats anywhere that I can see.
    2. Stops that constitute a "loss" could mean TFL as well as 0 yards.
    3. According to PFF, Upshaw has been on the field for 161 run snaps, and he has made 15 stops. 15/161 = 0.093
    4. I don't recall Upshaw making a boatload of TFLs so far this season
    5. Assumption: A "run stop" = TFL on a run snap + tackles for no gain on a run snap.

Maybe most inportantly...Upshaw is accredited with 17 solo tackles total and 0 "missed tackles" [1].
    So of his 17 solos, only 2 have occurred downfield.
    I'd say he's doing a pretty good job [2].

[1] - Not the best stat maybe, since it reeks of subjectivity, but I trust PFFs judgment until I don't anymore.
    [2] - To be completely fair though, what's missing is a stat like "successful contains per opportunity". But you/I can get that watching tape.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 10-24-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Read the article again, it said through 7 games, not just week 7. Personally, I've never seen Upshaw make a mistake in the run game, he doesn't appear to miss tackles and holds the edge well. Shame Kruger is so incapable of that after 3 years in the league.
    I did read it again. It doesn't say if it's cumulative or 1 game

"Baltimore Ravens: Courtney Upshaw (2-35) has a Run Stop Percentage of 9.3, which leads all 3-4 outside linebackers, and is a higher mark than any 3-4 outside linebacker had in 2011."

For the record I like Upshaw a lot and think he's doing a good job. I just wouldn't crown him yet after 7 games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I did read it again. It doesn't say if it's cumulative or 1 game

"Baltimore Ravens: Courtney Upshaw (2-35) has a Run Stop Percentage of 9.3, which leads all 3-4 outside linebackers, and is a higher mark than any 3-4 outside linebacker had in 2011."

For the record I like Upshaw a lot and think he's doing a good job. I just wouldn't crown him yet after 7 games.
    Yet people are ready to label others busts when they play poorly through 7 games. Jimmy Smith hasn't even started 7 games and is being called a bust for playing badly in some of those games.