FILMSTUDY: With the release of Kindle we rank the Ravens' all-time 2nd round draft picks

The release of Sergio Kindle closes the book on an unsuccessful draft pick.

Whether or not he can be resigned to the practice squad, the Ravens have exposed him to the remainder of the league, so any residual play value he may have can’t really be ascribed to the fact the Ravens drafted him.

I thought it would be fun to go back through the Ravens draft history and rank the 2nd-round selections. In each case, I’ve given the year drafted and overall number of the selection along with some brief commentary. In the case of the active players, I am ascribing some future play value.

Of significant importance to these rankings is my belief that what a player accomplishes beyond the end of the period for which he may be tendered without competition should be significantly discounted. For players like Ogden, Reed, and Lewis, a deep discounting of their enormous career value each produced after 5 seasons still is a mess of value, but the Ravens had to compete with other teams and pay a market price for those players.

Here are FILMSTUDY's rankings:

1. Ray Rice 2008 (55): A+. Ray has carried the offense at times and has been one of the NFL’s best backs. He’s already certain to make the Ravens’ Ring of Honor given the team’s success in his time here. Like a number of backs who played as well in their first 4 seasons, he’ll need to avoid injuries to make it to Canton.

Click HERE for the rankings of the other 16 second round picks.

Do you agree?
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

While guys like Kruger, Kindle and Cody(s) are big disappointments, I think this is what you want to see out of your draft picks: A's and F's. Drafting a bunch of C players is a recipe to end up like the Bills or Jaguars.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Re: FILMSTUDY: With the release of Kindle we rank the Ravens' all-time 2nd round draft picks

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    While guys like Kruger, Kindle and Cody(s) are big disappointments, I think this is what you want to see out of your draft picks: A's and F's. Drafting a bunch of C players is a recipe to end up like the Bills or Jaguars.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    I agree, and I'll just add one thing. Ozzie does take some risk with his draft choices. Torry Smith was an incredible pick. I doubt he was on any other team's radar as a 2nd round pick. For me his grade should be an A+. Of course you're not going to hit on all picks, but Ozzie's record is PDG.

Re: FILMSTUDY: With the release of Kindle we rank the Ravens' all-time 2nd round draft picks

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I agree, and I'll just add one thing. Ozzie does take some risk with his draft choices. Torry Smith was an incredible pick. I doubt he was on any other team's radar as a 2nd round pick. For me his grade should be an A+. Of course you're not going to hit on all picks, but Ozzie's record is PDG.
    Some projected Torrey as a first round pick. Heyward-Bey's reputation probably helped force the slip.

Blog Entries

The fact that we've got 3 players drafted in the last two years near the top of that list is..... WOW. It just speaks to how utterly pathetic the Ravens have been at drafting in the second round.

Yeah that is how I see it too. Kindle replaced Cody as the Ravens worst draft pick of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Some projected Torrey as a first round pick. Heyward-Bey's reputation probably helped force the slip.
    I stand corrected. I should have mentioned Ladarius Webb of the 2009 draft. That one seemed odd at the time given there were allot of bigger names on the board when they chose him. That draft is an example of how Ozzie takes risks, and of "A's" and "F's" as far as draft choices goes.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I stand corrected. I should have mentioned Ladarius Webb of the 2009 draft. That one seemed odd at the time given there were allot of bigger names on the board when they chose him. That draft is an example of how Ozzie takes risks, and of "A's" and "F's" as far as draft choices goes.
    I remember asking Eric DeCosta after the Webb pick, "I thought you said you'd never take another CB that early in the draft from a small school, particularly after David Pittman?" His response, "This guy is different."

He was right!

I think there's a typo in the article - it says Jamie Sharper was drafted by the Texans in 1997?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think there's a typo in the article - it says Jamie Sharper was drafted by the Texans in 1997?
    No when the expansion teams came in the league they got to draft players from active NFL teams. Basically the Ravens couldn't afford to protect him so he got stolen.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

I don't know a lot about football, especially the in-season personnel rules, but I have two questions -

1. Does this (releasing Kindle) seem odd to anyone else?

2. Is there more to this story (e.g., issues other than football, etc.) that anone is familiar with?

Thanks...

It is very odd for a team to outright release a second round pick before he finishes out his rookie contract. To give up on him so early is very telling. They are basically saying he doesn't even have any value as trade bait for even a late round draft pick.