Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oz thinks Ray will be back this year

“When you’re dealing with an injury like this, one of the things you research is the length of time to come back. We look for the best case, the worst case and the average. That’s the first thing we look at from a football point of view,” General Manager Ozzie Newsome said yesterday in talking about Ray Lewis’ torn triceps.

“Once we got those estimations, we looked at the calendar and started thinking: ‘If there is any athlete in the world who could come back from this in the shortest time, it would be Ray,’” Newsome explained.

“I talked with John (Harbaugh), Steve (Bisciotti) – and Steve was very involved and instrumental in this decision – and, of course, Ray. While I was doing my research with Dr. (Leigh Ann) Curl (team doctor), Ray was doing his homework and his research. I told Ray we were thinking about giving him the ‘designation to return’ tag, and he said he was just going to call me and suggest that he thought he could be back by the end of the season,” Newsome said.

The “designation to return” is new to the NFL this year. It allows teams to commit one player per season to injured reserve who is allowed to return to the active roster after at least six weeks on injured reserve. “When we were talking about whether to do this with Ray, I mentioned to Steve and John that we could save this for another player. But, I also said that some basketball coaches save their timeouts and then don’t use them. Steve said, ‘Don’t save the timeout.’”

Then Ozzie talked about Ray: “They say it’s a slow-healing injury, but that the person could begin rehab three weeks after the surgery. Then you put Ray into the equation. He will attack this like he attacks everything else. Is there anyone who could bring more energy, more motivation, more work to come back? Because it’s Ray, we’re willing to take this chance. We all know he is special, and he’s already chomping at the bit to get going, and he just had surgery yesterday (Wednesday.) If we were going to bet on one player coming back, we were betting on Ray Lewis.”
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...c-95963397f255

Re: Oz thinks Ray will be back this year

Leadership and inspirational motivation aside, the Ravens defense will be better with a younger, quicker, faster athelete playing at the position. As the season progresses and that realization begins to sink in Ray's rehab potential will be put into perspective. The big question is, if that proves true, do the Ravens have the guts to break the news to Ray next year.

Old time Baltimore fans remember when Johnny Unitas was done. Everybody knew it - EXCEPT Johnny Unitas - who sadly played his last year in San Diego.

Ray will be back... I might have to put my chicken little uni back in the closet. I'm starting to feel some kind of way about this season:)
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Ray could come back, the man is a beast and his heart beats with the Ravens. Expect Ray to do everything possible to get healthy to play again this year. He plays like a Raven and he will see the field again.

Normal recovery time is 4 months and since he had surgery this past wednesday (Oct 17th) that puts him around Feb 17th for a possible return to football activity, about two weeks after the superbowl. Best case scenario is that he heals in time for the superbowl..when we make it:)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Leadership and inspirational motivation aside, the Ravens defense will be better with a younger, quicker, faster athelete playing at the position. As the season progresses and that realization begins to sink in Ray's rehab potential will be put into perspective. The big question is, if that proves true, do the Ravens have the guts to break the news to Ray next year.

Old time Baltimore fans remember when Johnny Unitas was done. Everybody knew it - EXCEPT Johnny Unitas - who sadly played his last year in San Diego.
    I agree it's time for ray to hang it up. I don't see a 38 year old lb being effective coming off an injury even if it is ray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I agree it's time for ray to hang it up. I don't see a 38 year old lb being effective coming off an injury even if it is ray.

If he doesn't come back this year. He's definately coming back next year. Haloti said this week that he spoke to ray and ray is coming back next year. Probably won't be as effective but nevertheless he's coming back

Blog Entries

If we make it to the Bowl, Ray will be active. He might only play sparingly but he will be there if he has to put a full arm cast on. If he gets another Ring he retires next year. If he does try to come back next year he needs to understand the team must move on and play off of the bench which he said he would never do or they need to us him as a blitz LB.

The comparisons of Ray to Unitas are as silly as they are inaccurate.

Yes, in '72, Unitas was done. He had only started 5 games that season, with 4 TD's and 6 INT's to show for it. The season prior he had only played 5 games as well, amassing only 3 TD's and 9 INT's.

No, in 2012, Ray was not done. He's the team leader in tackles and 5th in the entire NFL.

Of course, he isn't what he was in coverage. He was not all that fast to begin with and his age, his side to side speed just has not been there.

But at 37, he's still better than 80% of the ILB's playing right now.

Simply put, you keep someone with his skill and instincts until he actually shows on the field he's lost it. Now all that said, this injury may be the final nail in the coffin.

I'm glad we have a GM that gives a man like Ray the benefit of the doubt. Some here seem to want to treat Ray like a fallen horse.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...2-0712ce15c757

Whatta a beast!

Film shows Lewis played five snaps after tearing his right triceps. He made what could be his final tackle one-handed, knowing he had a serious injury.

Agree with you HoustonRaven....glad our GM is runnin the show!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Blog Entries
    I'd like to see proof ray is better than 80% of lbs. pro football focus had him at a -5 grade before the cowboys game.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I'd like to see proof ray is better than 80% of lbs. pro football focus had him at a -5 grade before the cowboys game
    I'll take that as proof positive. PFF is hot garbage, IMO.