Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Why do physical corners away with so much holding?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

Yeah it may not be holding, but it should be illegal contact at least.
    The OP didn't say after 5 yards though. And I watched the game myself and saw nothing wrong with the DB play. In fact, it looked pretty damn good.

I did see corners bumping and grabbing 15-20 yards down the field last night on both sides. It was ridiculous. Don;t get me wrong, I like the style of play. But the rules are the rules and you have to call it the same for every game, team and player.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The OP didn't say after 5 yards though. And I watched the game myself and saw nothing wrong with the DB play. In fact, it looked pretty damn good.
    Well I didn't think I had to say after five yards.

I'm pretty sure most on here know that you can be physical within five. I've watched four Seattle games this year and there CBs are pushing/holding the entire way through the route.
    It's obviously looks good when a CB just manhandles a WR like that, but it's against the rules.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

It was great to see an old time physical game. I hope both teams make the playoffs and cause a little damage.

I didn't see anything especially atrocious, but in general these refs have been really poor since returning. There has been some really bad calls. The difference between them and the whipping boy replacements was these refs have 1. Experience 2. A full understanding of the rules. IMO that's it. The combination of those two things makes for a smoother/quicker game, not necessarily better calls.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Listening to SiriusNFL their opinion is that the refs really let this game get out of hand. Lots of pushing, shoving, hand fighting and after the whistle stuff. There was certainly a lot of physical play beyond 5 yds, hell Randy Moss got mugged on a couple of those.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    While watching the Niners/Hawks game they started showing highlights of R. Sherman and on every play he is pushing the WRs around.
    It seems that once a CB get the term "physical" attached to them the refs let them get away with way too much.
    Looks like the 49ers read your thread

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-with-contact/

Specifically, the 49ers want to know why the Seahawks weren’t called for pass interference, illegal contact or defensive holding — which the 49ers think they should have been. Coach Jim Harbaugh confirmed today that he has contacted the officiating department at the league office to ask about it.

I didn't see anything wrong with the DB's play. Looked aggressive but not illegal.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Looks like the 49ers read your thread

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-with-contact/

Specifically, the 49ers want to know why the Seahawks weren’t called for pass interference, illegal contact or defensive holding — which the 49ers think they should have been. Coach Jim Harbaugh confirmed today that he has contacted the officiating department at the league office to ask about it.
    John must have read this and then passed it to Jim.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I didn't see anything wrong with the DB's play. Looked aggressive but not illegal.
    Agreed.

That's how I want a game called.

+1

I hate it when the ticky tac PIs are called.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed.

That's how I want a game called.
    I don't have a problem with that except that if we (the Ravens) do that, we will most likely get flagged. I think it is probably why our corners cannot be as physical.