Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do physical corners away with so much holding?

While watching the Niners/Hawks game they started showing highlights of R. Sherman and on every play he is pushing the WRs around.
    It seems that once a CB get the term "physical" attached to them the refs let them get away with way too much.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Re: Why do physical corners away with so much holding?

IDK....

Because they are "physical?"

I liken this to football in general; if a person is "known for something" they can get away with it. If not, and they step outside of their boundaries, there are consequences. This goes for coaches and players.

Blog Entries
    Seahawks corners play like its the 70's and somehow don't get flagged. It's awesome to watch
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I love the way that the Seahawks defense plays. Their only fault is. It getting off the field because they give up a lot of third down conversions. I really like their defensive coordinator. They also have a lot of speed on their d which is something I wish the ravens had more of.

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    I love the way that the Seahawks defense plays. Their only fault is. It getting off the field because they give up a lot of third down conversions. I really like their defensive coordinator. They also have a lot of speed on their d which is something I wish the ravens had more of.
    Pretty sure Seattle has one of the bet 3 and out teams in the league... Like the 2nd best.

Oh I meant third and Long. Good catch

Blog Entries

That is how fucking Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith who both stand at 6'2 should play, I don't get all this playing off BS, they need to be more physical. Not sure if that's Dean Pees, the DB coach, or the players them selves.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    While watching the Niners/Hawks game they started showing highlights of R. Sherman and on every play he is pushing the WRs around.
    It seems that once a CB get the term "physical" attached to them the refs let them get away with way too much.
    Maybe because what you describe here isn't holding.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    When a WR tries to make a cut and the CB is holding his shoulder pad I believe that counts as holding. All done past five yards.

I think it's a problem when you have so many people saying "they play corner like it's the 70s".

Blog Entries

no doubt they were getting away with a lot of grabbing pushing and running the receiver out of bounds. very physical play and no flags. and slightly OT, I forgot how horrible Alex Smith can look at times
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

Yeah it may not be holding, but it should be illegal contact at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

Yeah it may not be holding, but it should be illegal contact at least.
    The OP didn't say after 5 yards though. And I watched the game myself and saw nothing wrong with the DB play. In fact, it looked pretty damn good.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I did see corners bumping and grabbing 15-20 yards down the field last night on both sides. It was ridiculous. Don;t get me wrong, I like the style of play. But the rules are the rules and you have to call it the same for every game, team and player.

The OP didn't say after 5 yards though. And I watched the game myself and saw nothing wrong with the DB play. In fact, it looked pretty damn good.
    Well I didn't think I had to say after five yards.

I'm pretty sure most on here know that you can be physical within five. I've watched four Seattle games this year and there CBs are pushing/holding the entire way through the route.
    It's obviously looks good when a CB just manhandles a WR like that, but it's against the rules.