Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 27
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,336
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........



    It's more than "disguising different packages"--it's also understanding each player's strengths & weaknesses & designing schemes that play to their strengths & minimize their weaknesses.

    (Earl Weaver famously noted that he did his best not to ask any of his players to do things he knew they weren't capable of--& one way that paid off was that when he wrote out the starting lineup or pinch-hit this player or called in that relief pitcher, the player took confidence from knowing that Earl put him in that position because he was confident he could do the job.)




  2. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    It's more than "disguising different packages"--it's also understanding each player's strengths & weaknesses & designing schemes that play to their strengths & minimize their weaknesses.

    (Earl Weaver famously noted that he did his best not to ask any of his players to do things he knew they weren't capable of--& one way that paid off was that when he wrote out the starting lineup or pinch-hit this player or called in that relief pitcher, the player took confidence from knowing that Earl put him in that position because he was confident he could do the job.)
    I couldn't agree more... Knowing your players strengths and weaknesses is key.




  3. #15

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    I agree cut the crap......This Pees of crap D coordinator




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,723
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I'll tell you what I like. The players are blaming themselves. The coaches are blaming THEMselves. This isn't the players throwing the coaches under the bus and vice versa.

    Everyone has the right attitude here. That's a good thing.
    It's a very good thing. They all know that it has to get better and are mad about it.

    When you've sucked against the run going against on the top rushing attacks in the Texans is a great way to make a statement. Shut the Texans run game down and everyone will notice.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    9,161
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    Quote Originally Posted by PainServer52 View Post
    I agree cut the crap......This Pees of crap D coordinator
    Yes because Pees is out on the field getting blocked and missing tackles. No scheme in the world is going to fix that.

    These guys on defense just need to man up and fix it. I have faith they will get it done in Texas. Also, I believe this defense will be better without Ray on the field. I'm sorry but he's just too old and slow.




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    590

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I prefer a version of that quote from an economics paper published in 1892:It's a quote much beloved of those who aren't interested in what statistical analysis has to tell them about the world because they're afraid it'll contradict what they "know" (or want to believe) is true.<rant>Inferential statistics is an inexact science. When we say that the result of some experiment is statistically significant with 95% confidence, there is always that 5% chance that it's due to a random fluctuation--even presuming we haven't missed some important factor that completely changes the situation. Repeat a test often enough & you will almost surely find one that yields a result that's statistically significant in whatever way you want, even if there is nothing in fact going on underneath it.

    Statisticians are exquisitely sensitive to these facts; we do everything in our power to minimize the random errors and maximize the power of our tests to detect effects that are not only statistically significant but meaningful; we describe our results very carefully; and we are very mindful that our customers understand the limits of what can be discovered with the tools & data we have.

    We get very angry when someone "cherry-picks" our work to make claims that aren't supported by the analysis. We get even angrier when a customer tells us from the outset that our analysis is expected to support certain preconceived notions.

    Fortunately, most intelligent managers don'[t misuse us in that way. They use statistical analysts to sift through masses of data & discover what is in fact going on underneath it all, so that they can make good decisions. </rant>

    I can't speak for anyone else here, but I parse Ravens defensive statistics looking for general trends in order to conjecture what might be causing them, in order to understand where & how they need to improve. I have no preconceived notions as to who or what is at fault that I would be looking to justify by the numbers. OK?
    No offense but

    Maybe I shouldn't have tried to read this before morning coffee.




  7. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,356

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I'll tell you what I like. The players are blaming themselves. The coaches are blaming THEMselves. This isn't the players throwing the coaches under the bus and vice versa.

    Everyone has the right attitude here. That's a good thing.
    Agreed.

    This is exactly the thing you want to see. Now, the second half of this equation, is actually executing -- both player execution and coaches doing their thing.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    OCMD
    Posts
    461

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    This statistical stuff is interesting to me. Which is better; Steelers' defense (5th overall, 17th in scoring), or Ravens' defense (26th overall, 11th in scoring)?
    .
    .

    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable…

    There is another theory which states that this - has - already - happened…



    "We don't have a town drunk...we all take turns..."




  9. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by PainServer52 View Post
    I agree cut the crap......This Pees of crap D coordinator
    I love it. The players say we're not getting the job done. The coaches say the players aren't getting the job done. But, for you, it's the coordinator.




  10. #22

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    Like others said it remains to be seen about the execution this weak but I'm very happy to see the leaders and coaches openly admit they've played well below expectations, hope it translates to the field Sunday!




  11. #23

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Yes because Pees is out on the field getting blocked and missing tackles. No scheme in the world is going to fix that.

    These guys on defense just need to man up and fix it. I have faith they will get it done in Texas. Also, I believe this defense will be better without Ray on the field. I'm sorry but he's just too old and slow.
    But he is responsible for getting his defense ready to play. Sloppiness across the board is the usually the fault of the coach. The defense has not look well coached this year.




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,453

    Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

    Blah, blah, blah. Hold them under 100 yards rushing and win the freaking game and then talk.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland