Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dean Pees goes off...........

Anyone who says coaches don't care they got another thing coming. Pees goes off on a little rant. I like the fire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-cut-the-crap/

Re: Dean Pees goes off...........

I'll tell you what I like. The players are blaming themselves. The coaches are blaming THEMselves. This isn't the players throwing the coaches under the bus and vice versa.

Everyone has the right attitude here. That's a good thing.

Everyone seems to be very pissed off, lets hope it shows up on the field...

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    I'll tell you what I like. The players are blaming themselves. The coaches are blaming THEMselves. This isn't the players throwing the coaches under the bus and vice versa.
    I totally agree. They all seem to be taking responsibility for their own work, instead of pointing fingers at someone else. That's exactly what they should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

Everyone has the right attitude here. That's a good thing.
    Absolutely right. Harbaugh has done a good job of preaching team and getting everyone on the same page. He's been all about that since Day 1.

Blog Entries

The players have acknowledged it. The coaches have acknowledged it. Yet, I have to sit here and listen to posters go on with their petty statistics about how it's not as bad as it looks?

Pees was right "Cut the Crap"!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The players have acknowledged it. The coaches have acknowledged it. Yet, I have to sit here and listen to posters go on with their petty statistics about how it's not as bad as it looks?

Pees was right "Cut the Crap"!
    FTR, in a long career as a statistician I usually found that people who denigrate statistics either don't like what they have to say, don't understand what they have to say, or can't count past ten without taking off shoes. Just saying.

While it may have been every bit as bad as it looked, in fact it may not be as bad as it looks, because a lot of it may be fixable. The reason the coaches & players are pissed off is precisely because they believe it's fixable--if they were just getting steamrollered by superior talent they'd be more surly than angry. And as everyone admits, the fixing starts with better concentration & technique when tackling. Do they get that done? Does it make a difference? Tune in Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    FTR, in a long career as a statistician I usually found that people who denigrate statistics either don't like what they have to say, don't understand what they have to say, or can't count past ten without taking off shoes. Just saying.

While it may have been every bit as bad as it looked, in fact it may not be as bad as it looks, because a lot of it may be fixable. The reason the coaches & players are pissed off is precisely because they believe it's fixable--if they were just getting steamrollered by superior talent they'd be more surly than angry. And as everyone admits, the fixing starts with better concentration & technique when tackling. Do they get that done? Does it make a difference? Tune in Sunday.
    "Lies, Damn lies, and Statistics" One can usually find some kind of statistic to support any argument.

Data will tell you anything if you torture them long enough.

Blog Entries
    Coachspeak

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    "Lies, Damn lies, and Statistics"
    I prefer a version of that quote from an economics paper published in 1892:
    An old jest runs to the effect that there are three degrees of comparison among liars. There are liars, there are outrageous liars, and there are scientific experts. This has lately been adapted to throw dirt upon statistics.
    It's a quote much beloved of those who aren't interested in what statistical analysis has to tell them about the world because they're afraid it'll contradict what they "know" (or want to believe) is true.
    One can usually find some kind of statistic to support any argument.
    <rant>Inferential statistics is an inexact science. When we say that the result of some experiment is statistically significant with 95% confidence, there is always that 5% chance that it's due to a random fluctuation--even presuming we haven't missed some important factor that completely changes the situation. Repeat a test often enough & you will almost surely find one that yields a result that's statistically significant in whatever way you want, even if there is nothing in fact going on underneath it.

Statisticians are exquisitely sensitive to these facts; we do everything in our power to minimize the random errors and maximize the power of our tests to detect effects that are not only statistically significant but meaningful; we describe our results very carefully; and we are very mindful that our customers understand the limits of what can be discovered with the tools & data we have.

We get very angry when someone "cherry-picks" our work to make claims that aren't supported by the analysis. We get even angrier when a customer tells us from the outset that our analysis is expected to support certain preconceived notions.

Fortunately, most intelligent managers don'[t misuse us in that way. They use statistical analysts to sift through masses of data & discover what is in fact going on underneath it all, so that they can make good decisions. </rant>

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I parse Ravens defensive statistics looking for general trends in order to conjecture what might be causing them, in order to understand where & how they need to improve. I have no preconceived notions as to who or what is at fault that I would be looking to justify by the numbers. OK?

All I know is I wish I was in the locker room to hear to rays pregame speech to the team.... It's gonna be epic!

But on topic... These coming weeks will show what coach DP is made of when and how well he can disguise different packages. These moments are what make NFL coaches great.