Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is it just me, or is Jimmy Smith always hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by TCmofo View Post
    So far to me, Jimmy has been a bit of a dissapointment. He does get on the field occassionally, but when he does he always seems to be 10 yards off the dude he's supposed to defend and constantly gets turned around on curls, etc. The biggest knock though is the fact that Jimmy seems to ALWAYS be knicked up in one way or another. There is word coming out from the Ravens camp he has an abdominal issue now and that Chykie Brown may start against the Texans. I won't use the b word for Jimmy yet, but underwhelming is the word that comes to mind for this supposed first round talent.

Flame on.
    I think you need to lower your expectations for a less than 1 year starting CB.

Jimmy Smith has been one of the most understated players on our defense this year. Jimmy is physical, can play the run, can play the screen game and, for the most part, locksdown the receiver he is covering.

Does he cause some penalties? Yes, but again, this guy didnt get to play last year until ~week 8. He never even started last year(Correct me if Im wrong).

But remember when he nearly saved our chances in the AFCCG last year with that ridiculous interception? He had 3 picks last year in extremely limited time.

Hes going to be a beast of a CB. He is still a rookie in my eyes. He just doesnt really give up the big play. He saved the game for us last week with that PD at the end of the game. Thats why Im excited about him. When we need him to step up, he steps the fuck up.

Blog Entries
    He is fine. Most of these guys play all year with bumps bruises and strains. There is a difference between being injured and being hurt.
    This is a 2nd year guy and he has the physical ability to become a corner on par with the best corners in the game.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He is fine. Most of these guys play all year with bumps bruises and strains. There is a difference between being injured and being hurt.
    This is a 2nd year guy and he has the physical ability to become a corner on par with the best corners in the game.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    He has showed his ability as well. Its not just his physical ability, but his ability to read the receivers routes. My only complaint with him is he needs to start locating the ball earlier. But that comes with time once he gains more confidence in his ability to read routes/plays.

Blog Entries

Jimmy Smith missed half his rookie year so as far as games played I dont think he has a full 16 games under his belt yet so he is still learning the NFL. It's far to early to consider him a bust or anything close

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Yep

Webb’s Replacement Injured

Here’s another injured Raven to keep an eye on – cornerback Jimmy Smith, who is expected to fill in for top corner Webb the rest of the season.

Smith did not participate in practice yesterday because of an abdominal injury, which Head Coach John Harbaugh described as minor.

After replacing Webb for nearly three quarters against the Cowboys, Smith then had to come off the field himself, forcing second-year player Chykie Brown to take over in final moments of the nail-biting victory.
    So...We're looking at Chykie Brown covering Andre Johnson with almost zero pass rush? Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    So...We're looking at Chykie Brown covering Andre Johnson with almost zero pass rush? Hmmm....
    Maybe for a play here or a play there, but Jimmy Smith is going to play nothing about that says he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Maybe for a play here or a play there, but Jimmy Smith is going to play nothing about that says he isn't.
    Well, we don't know. He didn't finish the Dallas game and he missed or had limited practice so far this week. Of course, it may be a moot point, as the Texans probably won't throw too much with our run defense. The Cowboy's (terrible run ofense) dominated us on the ground, so Foster and Tate might break records on Sunday.

Jimmy Smith is in his 2nd year. Let's give him some time before we declare him a lost cause.