Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Raven's Super Bowl Ring for Sale

Looking at the close up pictures of the ring, its been well worn.

This is the first I've heard of a Ravens SB ring for sale; I'd certainly be leery of buying it off eBay. Anyways, its not that I have that kind of cash lying around for something like that.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I agree with most.

That would be the last thing I would want to sell if I were a former player.

The only thing I can think of is that he is down on hard times and needs the money.

Does it appear that there are several stones missing? I am looking above the beak on the gold outline and it seems like there is a hole there. There also seem to be 4 holes on the playfield that are empty.

It would be disappointing to buy one and find out these things are really made like crap or worse that someone had popped out the diamonds to sell inividually.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Does it appear that there are several stones missing? I am looking above the beak on the gold outline and it seems like there is a hole there. There also seem to be 4 holes on the playfield that are empty.

It would be disappointing to buy one and find out these things are really made like crap or worse that someone had popped out the diamonds to sell inividually.
    Good catch, Filmstudy. Perhaps it could be a well-made fake (I doubt it) or maybe it got knocked out in a bar fight. :)

Perhaps the winning bidder might be Mr. Bisciotti who wants to snatch it back from the public.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Regardless, it appears that the ring is very worn, missing stones and is not worth the $20,000 it got on Ebay. It has more sentimental value among fans and collectors. I am sure the original cost of the ring was not $20,000.

I am very leary of these type of auctions.

The stones are there, but the are deep channel set. I think the originals were around 12,000. Here is the one from Jostens website http://www.jostens.com/company/news/061101.asp

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    Regardless, it appears that the ring is very worn, missing stones and is not worth the $20,000 it got on Ebay. It has more sentimental value among fans and collectors. I am sure the original cost of the ring was not $20,000.

I am very leary of these type of auctions.
    Unless the buyer is a complete idiot,I would assume he is going to thoroughly check the ring out before handing over one cent.He does have a contract with the seller persay,but it is based on the premise that the item was not misrepresented in any way.

People don't buy these rings for the jewelry value (although a lack of quality certainly would piss me off). The ring can probably be recreated for less than 10K of materials. A Mickey Mantle rookie card similarly has substantially less intrinsic value (i.e. none) than what a collector would pay for it. It's all about the memories.