Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    It's supposedly a 4- to 6-month injury. If it turns out to be a bit shorter, being ready for the Super Bowl is not impossible, although the likelihood is very small.

The other thing to consider is that with the minimum time an IR/return player is required to sit out, time is running out for it to be useful to anyone. So maybe the Ravens decided to "use it or lose it".
    Thats probably part of my unfamiliarity with the rule. Wasnt sure what the stipulations on return were. If its 8 weeks were pretty much banking nobody gets hurt in the short term.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    I'm glad you know me well enough to tell me what I would and would not do. And YES I would. The man is a future Hall of Famer, and the guy that would get axed for him to return would most likely be the bottom of the pile, average player who sees limited time on the field to begin with. If that were me, I'd be okay with letting Ray have my spot for the chance at one more ring. It's easy for us to argue because neither of us are in that position, but I honestly would volunteer my spot if in that situation.
    You're like the guy who tells the King he would take a bullet for him, but ducks (which is a normal human reaction), when he sees it coming straight at him... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Exactly. The player must sit out 8 weeks, so there's really not much risk in using it now.

As far as having him on the 53-man roster for the SB, that could easily work. He would just be one if the inactives. Whoever he would be replacing would have been inactive anyway and they could wait until the Weds before the game to make the move, so that the "released" player still gets the game check. The team would surely vote the player the full playoff share. So, the player could still be on the sideline, just as he would as an inactive and still receive the same money, even though technically not on the team.
    Yea, but wouldn't we have to cut someone from the 53 just to open up this honorary position for Ray Ray on our roster? That's the point I think a few were trying to make earlier. What sense would it make to expose a player to another team just for the sake of this move?

Would you want to cut a LaQuan Williams or Kindle or Considine or Josh Bynes (thinking ahead) or Bobby Rainey just to give Ray this honor? Okay, strike Kindle and Considine...not shedding a tear there....but you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Yea, but wouldn't we have to cut someone from the 53 just to open up this honorary position for Ray Ray on our roster? That's the point I think a few were trying to make earlier. What sense would it make to expose a player to another team just for the sake of this move?

Would you want to cut a LaQuan Williams or Kindle or Considine or Josh Bynes (thinking ahead) or Bobby Rainey just to give Ray this honor? Okay, strike Kindle and Considine...not shedding a tear there....but you get my point.
    New England done it just the year, I can't remember who the player was but they done it the way ravor described, he got the full game cheque and was on th sidelines even np though not on the 53

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    New England done it just the year, I can't remember who the player was but they done it the way ravor described, he got the full game cheque and was on th sidelines even np though not on the 53
    I think you're missing my point, my friend. Not to sound insensitive, but I don't really care whether the guy who gets cut gets a game check or is on the sidelines for the Super Bowl.

I do care whether the player who gets cut remains part of our organization...and cutting a guy who has value to our franchise for the sheer purpose of putting Lewis back on the roster so he can lead the team out of the locker room at the Super Bowl seems a bit reckless to me. Besides, my understanding is that anyone on IR can be on the field in a non-playing capacity anyways, so I'm not sure what we are trying to achieve here. It's not like Ray Lewis could lead the Ravens out of the locker room in uniform on Super Bowl Sunday anyways. Whether he was on IR or inactive, he'd be in street clothes either way.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post

I hear ya, and I'm not really trying to argue against that point, I was just commenting that it is possible to do and relatively easily at that.

That said, the guy that they could end up losing would be the 53rd man on the roster - we've lost plenty of those guys before and not missed a beat.

Heck, Bynes and Rainey have been available to other teams since the final cuts of the preseason and nobody's been interested in them.

So, if they were truly inclined to go in this direction - which I'm not even sure that that is their intent - they could do it relatively easily and without too much (or any) real harm.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Re: Ray Lewis Put on Special IR Designation (Merged)

My wife is a massage therapist and has been right about Suggs return.

Her opinion is with age, the elasticity of the muscle changes with age, plus where the tear is can effect the healing time. She said if the tear is in the belly of the muscle and not where it attaches, his recovery will be quicker.

That said, she highly doubts he would be ready to play any game sooner than the Super Bowl. She said maybe super braced up and taped, he may play a playoff game if they need him.

I told her about his dropping 20lbs to be quicker, but she thought given the position and his age that was a mistake. He'd have been better coming off passing downs and adding muscle to protect his body.

Re: Ray Lewis Put on Special IR Designation (Merged)

Not sure if anyone saw this but Melissa Starks from NFL network tweeted the following:

According to teammate Haloti Ngata, Ravens LB Ray Lewis (triceps surgery) has "vowed" to return for an 18th season in 2013.
    Lewis had previously suggested that he would take a look at the big picture after the season before making a decision. Perhaps the string of recent reports that he looked washed up the first six weeks of the season has galvanized his will to play in 2013. Lewis has been "designated for return" on injured reserve, but he's not expected to see the field unless the Ravens make it to the Super Bowl.
    Source: Melissa Stark on Twitter Oct 18 - 7:12 PM

Lewis Tells Ngata: ‘I’ll Be Back, Don’t Worry’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Re: Lewis Tells Ngata: ‘I’ll Be Back, Don’t Worry’

Re: Lewis Tells Ngata: ‘I’ll Be Back, Don’t Worry’

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...2-0712ce15c757

Whatta a beast!
    Film shows Lewis played five snaps after tearing his right triceps. He made what could be his final tackle one-handed, knowing he had a serious injury.