Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,174
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...



    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    I would give up my spot for Ray. He deserves one more!!
    I beg to disagree...no you wouldn't... Bc




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    shouldn't Cam lead them out?
    As much as I have had big issues with Cam, IF the Ravens make it to the Super Bowl, Cam would have had a BIG hand in getting them there from where they are right now.

    And I will throw this "shot in the dark" into the mix...since there is NO reason for anyone to make sure Ray is in perfect health for the rest of his career...

    IF for some reason, Ray IS able to go, say at the very end of the season OR MORE likely a HOME playoff game...
    And the team is introduced, but then his music comes on and he comes out of the tunnel...the place will shake for 3 hours. And then he actually starts...and plays...the warrior in Ray, if his body allows it, will be there.
    Every person in purple will have an out of body experience and the Ravens will beat any team in M&T that day.

    I would have to believe that at this point, they already entertained this pie in the sky moment, and that's what it would be, but how unbelieveable would the atmosphere be if that actually played out.
    Suggs played with a shoulder harness and sacked Ben twice in a playoff game.
    T.O. had an unbelieveable game in the his Eagle's super bowl inspite of his no way to return injury, as well.
    The possibility should be kept open.

    Keeping something like that alive is in the best interests of the entire organization.
    It would be a fitting apex to an legendary career.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    It's also an subtle way of saying, "keep rallying the troops and keep showing up on the sidelines even if you can't play, and if we go all the way you WILL be in uniform".




  4. #19

    Re: Ray Lewis put on special IR designation.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Levi Brown tore his triceps on Aug 18, bad enough to require surgery just like Ray.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...out-for-months

    4 month recovery time, not out of the question at all that Ray can come back. That is why the door is still open for this year.
    So pretty much superbowl or bust. Dont playoff rosters need to be decided before the first game? How can the staff in good faith leave off a healthy player for the hope that lewis maybe can play a few downs. As much as id like to see him honored that way, id like the team to win more and im not sure thats condusive to that.
    -JAB




  5. #20

    Re: Ray Lewis put on special IR designation.

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    So pretty much superbowl or bust. Dont playoff rosters need to be decided before the first game? How can the staff in good faith leave off a healthy player for the hope that lewis maybe can play a few downs. As much as id like to see him honored that way, id like the team to win more and im not sure thats condusive to that.
    NFL doesn't have playoff rosters.

    Same 53 man roster, 45 active all the way through.




  6. #21

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    It's supposedly a 4- to 6-month injury. If it turns out to be a bit shorter, being ready for the Super Bowl is not impossible, although the likelihood is very small.

    The other thing to consider is that with the minimum time an IR/return player is required to sit out, time is running out for it to be useful to anyone. So maybe the Ravens decided to "use it or lose it".




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,879

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I beg to disagree...no you wouldn't... Bc
    I'm glad you know me well enough to tell me what I would and would not do. And YES I would. The man is a future Hall of Famer, and the guy that would get axed for him to return would most likely be the bottom of the pile, average player who sees limited time on the field to begin with. If that were me, I'd be okay with letting Ray have my spot for the chance at one more ring. It's easy for us to argue because neither of us are in that position, but I honestly would volunteer my spot if in that situation.




  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The other thing to consider is that with the minimum time an IR/return player is required to sit out, time is running out for it to be useful to anyone. So maybe the Ravens decided to "use it or lose it".
    Exactly. The player must sit out 8 weeks, so there's really not much risk in using it now.

    As far as having him on the 53-man roster for the SB, that could easily work. He would just be one if the inactives. Whoever he would be replacing would have been inactive anyway and they could wait until the Weds before the game to make the move, so that the "released" player still gets the game check. The team would surely vote the player the full playoff share. So, the player could still be on the sideline, just as he would as an inactive and still receive the same money, even though technically not on the team.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  9. #24

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    shouldn't Cam lead them out?
    You are merciless lmao!
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  10. #25

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    It's supposedly a 4- to 6-month injury. If it turns out to be a bit shorter, being ready for the Super Bowl is not impossible, although the likelihood is very small.

    The other thing to consider is that with the minimum time an IR/return player is required to sit out, time is running out for it to be useful to anyone. So maybe the Ravens decided to "use it or lose it".
    Thats probably part of my unfamiliarity with the rule. Wasnt sure what the stipulations on return were. If its 8 weeks were pretty much banking nobody gets hurt in the short term.
    -JAB




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,174
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    I'm glad you know me well enough to tell me what I would and would not do. And YES I would. The man is a future Hall of Famer, and the guy that would get axed for him to return would most likely be the bottom of the pile, average player who sees limited time on the field to begin with. If that were me, I'd be okay with letting Ray have my spot for the chance at one more ring. It's easy for us to argue because neither of us are in that position, but I honestly would volunteer my spot if in that situation.
    You're like the guy who tells the King he would take a bullet for him, but ducks (which is a normal human reaction), when he sees it coming straight at him... Bc




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Exactly. The player must sit out 8 weeks, so there's really not much risk in using it now.

    As far as having him on the 53-man roster for the SB, that could easily work. He would just be one if the inactives. Whoever he would be replacing would have been inactive anyway and they could wait until the Weds before the game to make the move, so that the "released" player still gets the game check. The team would surely vote the player the full playoff share. So, the player could still be on the sideline, just as he would as an inactive and still receive the same money, even though technically not on the team.
    Yea, but wouldn't we have to cut someone from the 53 just to open up this honorary position for Ray Ray on our roster? That's the point I think a few were trying to make earlier. What sense would it make to expose a player to another team just for the sake of this move?

    Would you want to cut a LaQuan Williams or Kindle or Considine or Josh Bynes (thinking ahead) or Bobby Rainey just to give Ray this honor? Okay, strike Kindle and Considine...not shedding a tear there....but you get my point.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Yea, but wouldn't we have to cut someone from the 53 just to open up this honorary position for Ray Ray on our roster? That's the point I think a few were trying to make earlier. What sense would it make to expose a player to another team just for the sake of this move?

    Would you want to cut a LaQuan Williams or Kindle or Considine or Josh Bynes (thinking ahead) or Bobby Rainey just to give Ray this honor? Okay, strike Kindle and Considine...not shedding a tear there....but you get my point.
    New England done it just the year, I can't remember who the player was but they done it the way ravor described, he got the full game cheque and was on th sidelines even np though not on the 53




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    New England done it just the year, I can't remember who the player was but they done it the way ravor described, he got the full game cheque and was on th sidelines even np though not on the 53
    I think you're missing my point, my friend. Not to sound insensitive, but I don't really care whether the guy who gets cut gets a game check or is on the sidelines for the Super Bowl.

    I do care whether the player who gets cut remains part of our organization...and cutting a guy who has value to our franchise for the sheer purpose of putting Lewis back on the roster so he can lead the team out of the locker room at the Super Bowl seems a bit reckless to me. Besides, my understanding is that anyone on IR can be on the field in a non-playing capacity anyways, so I'm not sure what we are trying to achieve here. It's not like Ray Lewis could lead the Ravens out of the locker room in uniform on Super Bowl Sunday anyways. Whether he was on IR or inactive, he'd be in street clothes either way.




  15. #30

    Re: ray lewis Designated IR/return...

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Yea, but wouldn't we have to cut someone from the 53 just to open up this honorary position for Ray Ray on our roster? That's the point I think a few were trying to make earlier. What sense would it make to expose a player to another team just for the sake of this move?

    Would you want to cut a LaQuan Williams or Kindle or Considine or Josh Bynes (thinking ahead) or Bobby Rainey just to give Ray this honor? Okay, strike Kindle and Considine...not shedding a tear there....but you get my point.
    I hear ya, and I'm not really trying to argue against that point, I was just commenting that it is possible to do and relatively easily at that.

    That said, the guy that they could end up losing would be the 53rd man on the roster - we've lost plenty of those guys before and not missed a beat.

    Heck, Bynes and Rainey have been available to other teams since the final cuts of the preseason and nobody's been interested in them.

    So, if they were truly inclined to go in this direction - which I'm not even sure that that is their intent - they could do it relatively easily and without too much (or any) real harm.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland