Overtime question

I don't know if this has ever been brought up before, but with the new overtime rules, in which each team gets a chance on offense, I was wondering about this.

If the kick returner fumbles the opening kickoff and loses the ball to the kicking team, it counts as their possession, and they will most likely lose the game, so....

What would happen in the very unlikely scenario where the kicking team were to attempt and recover an onside kick, where the receiving team never touches the ball, and then they go on to score? Would the other team still get a possession?

I know it will most likely never happen, but then again, if a team gets all banged up pretty bad during the game and only their special teams is healthy, who knows? It could happen.

In that scenario the other team would not get another possession and the team doing the onside kick would win if they score a FG. The idea is that the other team had an opportunity to possess and as you pointed out it's the same thing as fumbling the KO return.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Re: Overtime question

I figured that. Thanks.

The new OT rules still only apply to playoff games. I think all games should be played by same OT rules.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMB View Post
    The new OT rules still only apply to playoff games. I think all games should be played by same OT rules.
    Beginning this year, all games are being played with the new OT rules - regular season included.