Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ray Rice has improved his short yardage runs

If you look back at last season, Ray Rice was definitely a top 5 back, and arguably the best all around back in football. However, one area we all know he struggled with was his short yardage work, and picking up those hard short yards on 3rd downs. This year, he has looked much better running up the middle and getting those yards. Him and Flacco were CLUTCH working together to run the clock, something we struggled with last year, it almost cost us the divisional game against the Texans.

I think this win will do us more favours then a blow out would believe it or not. I'm not sure if it's the Oline improvement as a run blocking unit, Ray Rice simply getting even better, or the new offensive system. Either way, it's great to know that our power running has improved and it's something I'm sure we will need down the stretch in the cold winter months.

Would still like to see Pierce more involved, this guy is a beast whenever he gets to run the ball.

Blog Entries

Re: Ray Rice has improved his short yardage runs

I'm glad they're giving Rice chances in those situations. That's how you get better. In the past I think he was a little more patient in those situations and waited for his oline to open a hole. Now he just picks his spot and goes. That's the way to do it.

The odd thing about yesterday's game is that in spite of all the shredding Charles did to our defense in the 1st half, Ray Rice actually had a much better YPC, 6.0 to 4.7. Even if you take out each of the runners' best runs, Rice's was 37, Charles' was 25, Rice STILL had a better YPC, 4.69 to 3.97.

I really wish we would become more of a run-first team. We have one of the best RB in the game, and THE best FB in the game. Run heavy, keep the D off the field as much as possible, and pass when they don't expect it. We have some very good receivers now, so when a defense starts stacking the box to stop the run, we'll have some excellent opportunities downfield.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    The odd thing about yesterday's game is that in spite of all the shredding Charles did to our defense in the 1st half, Ray Rice actually had a much better YPC, 6.0 to 4.7. Even if you take out each of the runners' best runs, Rice's was 37, Charles' was 25, Rice STILL had a better YPC, 4.69 to 3.97.

I really wish we would become more of a run-first team. We have one of the best RB in the game, and THE best FB in the game. Run heavy, keep the D off the field as much as possible, and pass when they don't expect it. We have some very good receivers now, so when a defense starts stacking the box to stop the run, we'll have some excellent opportunities downfield.

That's not too much to ask, is it?
    I really don't get what Cam is doing at times . If the no huddle is harder to run at hostile environments, just run the damn ball until they stack the box, it really isn't hard when you have Ray Rice, and a promising explosive back up.

I'm guessing Cam wants to win with "style points" and win pretty with the long passes. But really, how pretty is it when you struggle to beat two of the worst teams in the league by 7 and 3 points, respectively? The only game that was "pretty" was the Cincy game. In that game, Rice only had 10 carries. Why pay $40 million for that? I mean, if you're not going to use the weapons you have, pick up a rag-tag RB, and use the $40 million on the O-Line or the defense.

Blog Entries

I'm guessing Cam wants to win with "style points" and win pretty with the long passes. But really, how pretty is it when you struggle to beat two of the worst teams in the league by 7 and 3 points, respectively? The only game that was "pretty" was the Cincy game. In that game, Rice only had 10 carries. Why pay $40 million for that? I mean, if you're not going to use the weapons you have, pick up a rag-tag RB, and use the $40 million on the O-Line or the defense.
    I don't think it's a style issue. The offense that Cam is trained in stresses running the ball and taking shots deep. The theory is that even if you miss on those deep throws you at least give the defense something to think about. Joe Gibbs used to say that you throw 2 deep balls a quarter no matter what. That's 8 a game. The difference is that Gibbs used to time them better. He never had a QB as good as Flacco but those deep shots seemed to have a greater effect.

Blog Entries

They had to change to beat Pitt and the Pats and it worked. Those long passes stretch the field, keep the defense honest and when they hit it, they're game changers. I like run in obvious situations too but it's a passing league and they need to have that option.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

In no way am I saying they should abandon the passing game. What I am saying is that they should definitely have more of a balanced attack. Most teams would love to have the offensive weapons of Rice and Leach in their backfield. Not only do we have those two, but we also have a very good QB, very good WRs, and two pretty good TEs. Why not use as many of your weapons as possible? While the league is definitely a passing league now, I've always believed that the road to a successful passing game starts with a successful running game.

Blog Entries

I think we will see more from Leach, Rice, and Pierce as we enter the colder winter months anyway. I am far from an anti Cam Cameron guy, but I also think that there can be no excuses if Cam goes completely towards the run or the passing game and doesn't hit a happy medium, the offense is littered with weapons everywhere this year.

I actually kind of liked what Cam did yesterday, when the passing game obviously wasn't working very well, we finished the game off by using Rice, and we didn't repeat Seattle of last year by throwing it like 50 times.

Blog Entries

In no way am I saying they should abandon the passing game. What I am saying is that they should definitely have more of a balanced attack. Most teams would love to have the offensive weapons of Rice and Leach in their backfield. Not only do we have those two, but we also have a very good QB, very good WRs, and two pretty good TEs. Why not use as many of your weapons as possible? While the league is definitely a passing league now, I've always believed that the road to a successful passing game starts with a successful running game.
    Yesterday they ran the ball 24 times for 133 yds and passed 27 times for 187. That's pretty balanced. Also KC had the ball about 10 minutes more than the Ravens.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yesterday they ran the ball 24 times for 133 yds and passed 27 times for 187. That's pretty balanced. Also KC had the ball about 10 minutes more than the Ravens.
    The attack was perfectly balanced yesterday. I saw virtually no issues with the playcalling outside of the slow shotgun draw on 3rd and 4 yesterday, and even that should have pleased a lot of people who call for Rice to get the ball every down, defensive alignment be damned.

The problem yesterday was the same as every game this year -- 3rd downs. They were 6-13, we were 3-11. It doesn't sound like much, but that kind of disparity translates to a lot of time particularly when you're giving up a ton of rushing first downs (12 allowed yesterday).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That stat is rather misleading. In the first half, we rushed only 8 times and passed 19 times. Many of the running plays in the 2nd half were called to run time off the clock while holding on to the lead.