Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ray Lewis article from Jamison Hensley

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...home-headlines

Good read. Nice insight on what makes Ray tick. Also, seems he really wants the individual player introductions and the dance back as well.

Asked why he withdrew from the team last year, Lewis said, "Because I didn't like a lot of things." Refusing to single anyone out, Lewis said he was frustrated by how some players didn't properly study, work out and communicate.

"Everything reverts back to losing, one way or another," he said. "If that's going wrong off the field, what makes you think it's going to click when we step on the field?"

The tumultuous 6-10 regular season spilled over to the spring, when Lewis criticized the team's defensive scheme and not-so-massive defensive tackles on national TV.

Lewis has since apologized to his teammates for his comments.

"I go through frustrations," Lewis said. "I make mistakes. I'm not inhuman."

Re: Ray Lewis article from Jamison Hensley

When you're a player as intense as Ray Lewis, it kills him to have a season like last. He was basically just pissed a how the season was turning out, then he gets hurt, and after that he just didn't feel like talking football with the media. In this day & age, that'll get you in trouble.

Like he said, he doesn't have forever to win another SuperBowl, and he's probally starting to feel the pressure of time running out.

We won't see the Ray of 2000, but it will still be fun to see what he can do in this defense. He's still one of the best defenders in football, & I'd expect him to come out with a bang this year.

It's quotes like this that scare me:

"I don't believe I have played my best football," said Lewis, a two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year. "That's what is so exciting for me. I'm chasing a legacy and history of being the greatest defensive player to ever have walked onto a football field. Until I'm done with that, that's when I'll let it go."
    Before last season he was talking about being the MVP of the league, and we all saw how that turned out. I just wish he'd talk about getting the TEAM back to where it needs to be rather than individual accomplishments.

Cool Re: Ray Lewis article from Jamison Hensley

I read that article this morning as well. Very nice read on what Ray Lewis had to say and I always look forward to him coming out of the tunnel and doing his dance. :D

To be honest, I think he's trying to prove something to himself, by saying things like this. It may come off as selfish, but I wouldn't look too far into it.

Just from seeing him at camp, I don't believe there's any problems at all b/w him and the team. He seems as "happy" as he's been since '01 (Aaron Wilson has also said this). From a mental & teamplayer standpoint, I wouldn't worry too much about Ray. He plays for his teammates before anyone else, and everyone on the 'D' knows that he has their backs. And he is all about getting the team to where it needs to be.

JMO, of course...

Dough Ray ME Lewis

I'm really pleased to see his attitude has improved this season, I just hope it holds if things don't go as well as we are all hoping/expecting. I don't excuse his attitude last year, a true leader - which he proports to be - would not have gone into a season long funk because he wasn't happy with the preparation of some of his teammates. The Ray Lewis of pre 2005 would have kicked ass and taken names until everyone was getting with the program. I'm not totally convinced that was the real reason, I still think part of his sulks can be attributed to wanting the new deal. JMO and I'm sure most will not agree but to me the words and music aren't quite matching up. At any rate, that was last year let's just hope lessons learned and he's ready to go this year.

How did everyone miss this? Individual intros are back! The dance may be back too.

The Ravens had planned on sticking with a team introduction for the entire season, but fans and players alike gave it a lukewarm reception at the preseason opener. Team officials said they likely will return to announcing individual starters because there has been a groundswell of support from players to do so.

"My teammates look for that," Lewis said of the dance. "It says this is our battle line. This is our general. And we follow. When I come out, that's the mind-set."

It says "likely will return".

Let's start WINNING first. Seriously, the player introductions should be the lowest priority right now for this team.

I didn't miss it, I was just ignoring it. I'm sorry but Ray's "dance" turns me off. I respect his play greatly but I'm just not a big fan of that kind of self promotion.

I'll be extremely pleased when individual intros return. The add an electricity to the crowd, which in turn motivates the players come the start of a game.

Never underestimate the power of the crowd.

I'm sorry, but a "general" wouldn't high tail it out when they weren't happy about things.

If they want to bring back individual intros, then fine, but each individual should receive the same into. That builds team unity. Until this entire team gets on a winning track, then nobody needs to be dancing.