Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why do the Ravens insist on throwing the ball 40 yards down field on 3rd and 4 or 5 situations

And no this is not intentionally a bash cam Cameron thread.

But I just got through watching Tom Brady march the Patriots down field (TWICE) for touchdowns in the fast no huddle by throwing dinks and dunks out of the shotgun and by running (virtually exclusively) from under center. If Brady's in the shotgun he's throwing - if he's under center the Patriots are running.

Why don't the Ravens JUST PLAY THE SAME WAY.

I'm tired of trying to convert third downs with 40 yard passes.

Re: Why do the Ravens insist on throwing the ball 40 yards down field on 3rd and 4 or 5 situations

I understand the frustation with that. It frustrates me as well. I think whenever Joe's sees an one on one matchup on the outside he's going deep. I get what he's trying to do but when it's 3rd and 4 or 3, just pick up the first down.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Re: Why do the Ravens insist on throwing the ball 40 yards down field on 3rd and 4 or 5 situations

P.S. They won

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

P.S. I still want Cam Cameron gone! Have you been able to figure that out yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    P.S. They won

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    P.S. I still want Cam Cameron gone! Have you been able to figure that out yet!
    Yeah I know, you watch each game hoping and praying that they lose. Great life

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

You take the shit far too seriously. I suggest you either get a life or another hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yeah I know, you watch each game hoping and praying that they lose. Great life

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    And no this is not intentionally a bash cam Cameron thread.

But I just got through watching Tom Brady march the Patriots down field (TWICE) for touchdowns in the fast no huddle by throwing dinks and dunks out of the shotgun and by running (virtually exclusively) from under center. If Brady's in the shotgun he's throwing - if he's under center the Patriots are running.

Why don't the Ravens JUST PLAY THE SAME WAY.

I'm tired of trying to convert third downs with 40 yard passes.
    Because Harbaugh is a great coach. And shouldn't be questioned. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Because Harbaugh is a great coach. And shouldn't be questioned. Ever.
    So now Harbs called that play?

It gets confusing who to blame for things on this team anymore.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    So now Harbs called that play?

It gets confusing who to blame for things on this team anymore.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    No. But he's the Head Coach. The buck stops with him (no pun intended).

It may very well be their offensive philosophy where they try to "trick" teams into believing they're going for short yardage to gain the first down, but instead go for the kills. It's one of those things where if the play doesn't work, people complain. If the play works, then everyone is happy. Years back, the Ravens notoriously would throw the ball -short- of 1st down yardage in an attempt to get YAC, and everyone hated it. I personally believe in the approach of "attempting" enough yards for the first down, and completing a higher percentage play, before going deep down field. No matter what a team does, it seems the players/coaches can't please everyone, and fans complain.
    Last edited by palukaraven; 10-07-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    No. But he's the Head Coach. The buck stops with him (no pun intended).
    If you took a poll of the board, I think 98% of the posters here would have fired Cam years ago.

He doesn't seem to have a "feel" of the game a lot of the time, and frankly, I think the Coryell offense is severely outdated. I don't know because I don't watch other teams as closely, but while most of the successful "name" offenses like the West Coast, Coryell, Ground Chuck, Run and Shoot, and the spread have been kind of blended and most teams run stuff from each system, it seems to me that Cam (and Harbs since he seems to go right along with it), sticks way too much with stressing the vertical aspect of the Coryell...much like the Raiders. It's almost like we run the Al Davis "run it down your throat and throw it over your heads" with much better players.

We don't run enough option routes, we don't run enough outside screens, we don't run enough crosses, inside slants and in general, ignore the short/quick passing game that most of the league has gone to.

But all that being said, Cam is still here, we have won with him, we have almost gotten to the promised land only to have players fail to execute, and frankly, I don't think Harbs is going to fire him so I'm going to support him and maybe we can get over the hump soon with him.

I can hope that a college team gives him a shot as I think he'd have a lot of success depending on where he goes at that level.
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 10-07-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If you took a poll of the board, I think 98% of the posters here would have fired Cam years ago.

He doesn't seem to have a "feel" of the game a lot of the time, and frankly, I think the Coryell offense is severely outdated. I don't know because I don't watch other teams as closely, but while most of the successful "name" offenses like the West Coast, Coryell, Ground Chuck, Run and Shoot, and the spread have been kind of blended and most teams run stuff from each system, it seems to me that Cam (and Harbs since he seems to go right along with it), sticks way too much with stressing the vertical aspect of the Coryell...much like the Raiders. It's almost like we run the Al Davis "run it down your throat and throw it over your heads" with much better players.

We don't run enough option routes, we don't run enough outside screens, we don't run enough crosses, inside slants and in general, ignore the short/quick passing game that most of the league has gone to.

But all that being said, Cam is still here, we have won with him, we have almost gotten to the promised land only to have players fail to execute, and frankly, I don't think Harbs is going to fire him so I'm going to support him and maybe we can get over the hump soon with him.

I can hope that a college team gives him a shot as I think he'd have a lot of success depending on where he goes at that level.
    I don't know if I want Cam fired. After the 2008 season I thought he was one of the best in the game. I just wish there was some accountability. After the 2010 season, Harbaugh promised to get "more involved" with the offense, whatever that means. Cam is ok but you can count on two or three games a year that leaves coming away saying "WTF"? The good news is we usually lose those games. Today we won. The bad news is, he owes us two more such games.