Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thank the Refs

Re: Thank the Refs

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When it's a quarterback the refs are always quick to blow the whistle. I don't like it either but at least they're consistent when it comes to this.
    Actually, that it exactly the situation where they blow the whistle early - where the QB is in the grasp of 4 guys and a potentially very dangerous situation they're gonna blow the whistle before he gets buried and torn to pieces.

Blog Entries

That was week 1 with replacement refs. I watched that game and the announcers were calling the Falcons out the whole game and wondered when it was going to get called. Once the real refs returned the Chiefs should have been smart enough not to call those plays
    That might explain why the Falcons have come back to earth a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I understand the rules about after the whistle blows but my point was whether the whistle should have blown at all. I just thought the whistle was blown too quickly IMO and were lucky it went our way.

And no, I'll never root against a Ravens victory but I'll Bitch about Cam getting his head stuck in the sand a few games a year.
    Do you think Flacco could have broken away from all those defenders and gained yards? If your answer is yes, than no the whistle should not have been blown. If the answer is no, than yes it was the right call to blow the whistle.

He wasnt trying to get the pass out, he wasn't even trying to move forward. He was being stood up by several defenders. That's the definition of forward progress being stopped. Again, just because somebody decided to pull the ball out doesn't make the ball coming out a legit play.

That second pick was so obvious I was laughing the TV set......
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

They are called illegal picks for a reason...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    A chiefs fan claimed that the falcons ran picks against them and got away with it all game. He then said "yeah and i bet the ravens never ran any picks"... Cheap shot but i just had to say "the ravens aren't creative enough to run picks".
    Maybe true. But like someone else mentioned earlier, that game was played with replacement officials. They let all kinds of stuff happen without blowing the whistle. Thank goodness they're gone.

6. Re: Thank the Refs

I'll thank the refs for doing their job.

They're supposed to call illegal picks.
    They're supposed to whistle the play dead once there's no longer any chance the ball carrier can advance the ball further.

And nowadays they're also supposed to protect the QB more than they have years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ravennation123 View Post
    Sorry if this is posted anywhere else, but the refs cut us a huge break today. Those 2 offensive PI calls were debatable, but that was for sure a fumble by Flacco. We should also thank the chiefs total ineptitude.
    Nothing debatable about those calls.

Blog Entries

When it's a quarterback the refs are always quick to blow the whistle. I don't like it either but at least they're consistent when it comes to this.
    Not always. It can be inconsistent, and usually to the detriment of the defense. Years ago, Osi Umenyiora was a temporary laughingstock because Vince Young ripped out of his grasp and ran for a big gain. I didn't laugh at Umenyiora, however. The play should have been blown dead once he had young in the grasp, and had he thrown Young to the ground he probably would have drawn a flag.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Flacco's fumble may have been a fumble, but the refs blew the whistle before he fumbled because he stopped any forward progress. That is standard procedure.

As soon as they blew the whistle the play was over.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Look at it this way.. Flacco finally got a Brady, Manning, Brees type CALL!!!!!

As Joe gets more coverage he gets more protection from the Refs. Cant have a marquee player get hurt......

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Not always. It can be inconsistent, and usually to the detriment of the defense. Years ago, Osi Umenyiora was a temporary laughingstock because Vince Young ripped out of his grasp and ran for a big gain. I didn't laugh at Umenyiora, however. The play should have been blown dead once he had young in the grasp, and had he thrown Young to the ground he probably would have drawn a flag.
    Boy if you're going off memory you need to look at that play again. First it wasn't Osi, it was Jason Paul Pierre who "gave up" on the play and allowed Vince Young to escape from his wrath. Second, all you need to do is look at Tom Coughlin's reaction to know that Pierre screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Do you think Flacco could have broken away from all those defenders and gained yards? If your answer is yes, than no the whistle should not have been blown. If the answer is no, than yes it was the right call to blow the whistle.

He wasnt trying to get the pass out, he wasn't even trying to move forward. He was being stood up by several defenders. That's the definition of forward progress being stopped. Again, just because somebody decided to pull the ball out doesn't make the ball coming out a legit play.
    I have seen sacks called on QB's who were not down. It's the same as a running back that gets stopped but doesn't necessarily hit the ground. I think the issue that the ref saw was that 4 Chiefs basically hit Flacco at the same time all around him and stopped his movement. I think the whistle was blown to call the play dead to protect the QB as much as anything else.