Thread: Depth at WR

Depth at WR

With the Ravens looking to be utilizing the 3 WR set more often and with Mark Clayton in a boot and Derrick Mason nicked up a little, it looks like our depth a WR will really be important this season.

With these last 2 preseason games coming up, I think Devard Darling and Moore will really get more a chance to deserve who should make the roster.

I'm also hoping figurs gets a change to show some more skills as a WR

In any case, if this team really plans to open it up, we need depth at WR. I hope we don't rush Clayton back from whatever the damage is.

I also really hope that Rolle and Clayton AREN'T high ankle sprains. That'd be bad news.

Re: Depth at WR

I'm not sure which of the two I prefer really.

Darling made a couple nice catches in the Giants game. I think that was his best outing since he's been a Raven.

Seems like all they want to throw to Moore is that jump ball. It has not been very successful. I alsorecall that Clarence doesn't like to run across the middle in traffic too much.

While Clarence Moore did make a nice first down catch on Sunday, I think he really hurt himslef when he didn't make the catch on the long pass from Boller at the left endzone pylon. This was a pass Boller missed the week prior but he put the ball against the Giants where it needed to be and Moore missed it. I don't trust him to make the big plays.

Figurs seems soft in his routes. Comparing him to Clayton during training camp one sees the difference in how they run routes. I think Figurs could be more of a Jermaine Lewis-type niche' player basically returning punts/kickoffs but that probably wouldn't even be this year.

Darling is an enigma. The guy has good size and looks a lot like T.O. on the field. He seems to be having a better summer than he is getting credit for. If there is a problem with Clayton, I think he is the guy they go to for depth.

Thank god for Williams as without him, I think we would have to be concerned right now about the receivers. Ankle sprains are the type of injury which can linger for a season or more - just look at Heap. I hope Clayton doesn't fall in that category but I am worried.

Clarence is one dimensional and alligator-armed. Year after year I am amazed he made it to the roster.

Devard plays - or can play - special teams and hopefully would make the team over Clarence, though heaven help us if the success of our season depends on either one.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

the part that i am worried about the injuries is that i havent heard anything about there status. Normally you hear something about how bad it is by now. hopefully the "no news is good news" cliche is correct this time.
    Section 536
    Since 2002
    Dont Touch The Railing!!!

I 've been sick of Moore for two years now, no way he should make the team with the depth we have this year! At least Darling can play Special Teams and does show some promise here and there. Figurs doesn't even have to catch the ball or run good routes, just line him up in the slot and send him deep - they have to cover him with at least one guy, which should help clear things out underneath.

Also, don't forget about our Tight Ends! They could line up as WideOuts!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;

If the Ravens go with a four-wide formation, it'll include Heap rather than Moore or Darling. I'd take Figurs over both of them. At least he could probably be effective in an end round. Billick likes running them, and Clayton doesn't have the speed to pull them off. See the negative 30 yrds or so that Clayton amassed last year in end rounds.

Moore just doesn't have enough passion for the position. He shouldn't lose in any jump ball situation, but he doesn't fight hard enough for them.

For whatever reason, balls just don't go in Darling's direction. HOw many times was he targeted in his career, including the preseason? I'm guessing he's just not open.

I wouldn't mind giving Linson or Willis an opportunity or some other rookie.

Mark Clayton: "For me, it's kind of the bone right above the ankle, kind of at the bottom of the shin....That bone is really sore. So it's tough getting on my toes and everything."

I'm not a doctor, but that statement equals high ankle sprain.

Quote Originally Posted by 12jg34 View Post
    Mark Clayton: "For me, it's kind of the bone right above the ankle, kind of at the bottom of the shin....That bone is really sore. So it's tough getting on my toes and everything."

I'm not a doctor, but that statement equals high ankle sprain.
    This is where I think, even if heap plays in 4 wr sets, you need depth at WR.

I still think Darling can be that guy. But I think he's the type of player that needs to be seasoned game-time. I think he's had plenty of enough camps. These preseason games he should be getting some looks. Enough to show he should be clarence moore.

10. Re: Depth at WR

I was thinking about this situation just the other day...I'm hoping a decent veteran or two gets released from another team and perhaps Ozzie will bring them in for a look. I guess it can't hurt to have some experience at WR if we truly are going to open it up some !

Moore is basically a one-trick pony, that one trick being the jump ball into the end zone, which has become so predictable that everyone probably knows it's coming as soon as he comes into the game. Darling hasn't exactly proven himself but he's got to be better than Moore.

I don't know what to think of Figurs but so far, as a WR he looks like a poor man's Patrick Johnson. Great speed but that alone doesn't mean he'll get open or catch the ball.