Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: FILMSTUDY: O-Line Grades at the Quarter Pole by player

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I agree with raveninwoodlawn. While Oher hasn't really been any where close to the top tier of LT's, he has been average to solid as a starting LT, and looks way better than what a lot of this league have (see Rams, Jets, and Cardinals Oline struggles). While people say that Oher should hit FA, he really isn't going to be THAT expensive to resign, he wont be cheap, but he will be middle of the road, and there really isn't any other better options for us, unless we are picking in the top 10 next year which seems very very unlikely thank god.

Overall I'd give this line a C+ to a B- so far with what we've had. Our Oline is FAR from a disaster compared to what some of this league is seeing right now, and really I can't think of many Olines that look exceptionally good right now anyway. I think Oline struggles is now becoming more of a trend in the NFL, because of the nature of pass rushing teams, and how many good pass rushers there are out there these days.

Matt Birk has one more year left in him. Yanda is maybe the best right guard in football right now, Harewood needs a lot of work, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets benched for Bobbie Williams or even Bryant McKinnie which would cause a re shuffle on the line, but right now he hasn't been quite that bad to warrant a change. He has had 1 or 2 solid games, and I think we should give him at least a little more time. He hasn't exactly been Ben Grubbs, but he has been better than what Andre Gurode was at this point last year.

It hasn't been perfect folks, but before you complain, just go and watch some of the other lines in this league and be grateful that we aren't as bad as that up front. I'd say we are in the top half of the league up front, because of the solid run blocking (apart from the Browns game).
    Completely agree, great perspective.

The key thing about this line is that we have 2 guys who are extremely raw rookie starters, who will almost surely improve over the course of the season. We have one All Pro G who we know what we are getting from every week. We have a decent, but not spectacular left tackle. And then we have a vet like Birk who while declining can get by at at least an average level inside.

All in all it isn't the greatest Oline in the world, but it has some good potential as the season wears on. I am not surprised at all KO and Harewood are struggling starting out, that is completely expected.

This is a line that overall should be trending up over the course of the season, not down. That is fine by me.

On Baltimoreravens.com I saw an incredibly disturbing stat:

Flacco has 2.9 seconds on average before getting sacked. That is the LEAST amount of time that any quarterback in the league has.

As a point of comparison, Tom Brady has 3.9 seconds and Matt Ryan has a whopping 4.0 seconds on average.

Our line as a whole has been pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by acisking View Post

Flacco has 2.9 seconds on average before getting sacked. That is the LEAST amount of time that any quarterback in the league has.

As a point of comparison, Tom Brady has 3.9 seconds and Matt Ryan has a whopping 4.0 seconds on average.

Yet Joe is on pace to throw for 5,000 yards, and Rice is on pace for yet another 2,000 yd season from scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Yet Joe is on pace to throw for 5,000 yards, and Rice is on pace for yet another 2,000 yd season from scrimmage.
    Yes, and since a receiver can run another 10+ yards in that extra second that the other quarterbacks are getting, imagine how much more Joe and our guys could do.
    I'm hoping our Oline improves, especially the youngins.
    Because we will need their best against the Texans and Cowboys, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Yea full credit to Joe, the receivers, and Ray. It's incredible how many big plays the Ravens have had with such litte time - presumably those big plays would take a while to develop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Finding a better option than Oher is much easier said than done.

We aren't going to have a high draft pick and Ozzie doesn't reach for need much and we aren't going to have much money to go out and find a UFA (and top LT's don't hit UFA anyway).

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Oher is resigned.
    :word

Oher may be about as average as they come when talking about LT's in the NFL.

However, average is a lot better than what several teams have and he's still young enough to improve (not saying he will). He'll definitely be re-signed and it won't be for crazy top tiered LT money either.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Filmstudy's evaluation makes for some pretty sobering reading. On the plus side we have youth with real potential (Harewood, KO, Reid[?], Gradkowski [?]) On the other hand, we'll lose our depth next year with McKinnie, Birk, and Williams gone. And our Oline coach . . . Oz will need a lot of magic.

This is pretty much right in line with what I'm seeing too. The thing is, these grades are across the board higher than what I thought they'd be before the season, with maybe the exception of Birk who's fallen off a cliff like I thought he would. So while I think mostly they've been a C line, that's really a lot higher than I thought they would be.

Part of it also is that they "look" more successful than they probably are because of how often the offense is leaving extra help to block. The Ravens are almost never blocking with less than two players more than the opposition is rushing. The exceptions are on exotic blitzes or situations where teams are sending six or more rushers. So the line is getting a good bit of extra help via TEs, FBs and RBs which are blocking or chipping before leaking out as dump-off options (which Flacco is taking less often than he was last year...he's much better at making second and third reads this year).

Overall I've been pleasantly surprised by the OL play. Average is way better than I thought they'd be so far, which is great.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

9. Re: FILMSTUDY: O-Line Grades at the Quarter Pole by player

I am telling everybody right now, the O-line is what's going to be our crux this year. I am not impressed with Oher, Birk, or Osemele. If only Flacco had a better line in front of him, the sky would be the limit for this team!

10. Re: FILMSTUDY: O-Line Grades at the Quarter Pole by player

Refer to post 15
    Last edited by Tspot-D-Ravenator; 10-06-2012 at 10:32 PM.

11. Re: FILMSTUDY: O-Line Grades at the Quarter Pole by player

Originally Posted by acisking View Post

THIS...... :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    [/I]

THIS...... :word
    Please refer to post #15.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.