Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

FILMSTUDY: O-Line Grades at the Quarter Pole by player

With the new alignment, I think it’s worthwhile to examine not only the game against the Browns, but also the performance of each lineman to date this season.

The Ravens’ starters played all 77 offensive snaps.

Oher: He had a night of negative visibility but Michael’s penalties kept his score down this week in what would otherwise have been his best game of the season. The false start was one where it appeared he knew when the ball was to be snapped (perhaps by something he initiated, but he beat it by 5 clicks (.17 seconds). I don’t think that would be called every time. He lunged forward and whiffed on Frostee Rucker (Q1, 13:08) and then held him. On that play, Rice was running left behind Oher and Rucker was in on the tackle despite the hold to foil the Ravens’ 3rd and 2 attempt. He was beaten outside by Parker on Sheard’s sack (Q2, 0:40) where Oher’s opponent arrived just an instant later. I charged him for 1/3 of a sack on that play because he allowed the backside pressure. His 2nd hold negated Rice’s 21-yard sweep left when Michael reached back to grab Maiava. Scoring: 72 blocks, 0 missed, 2.5 pressures, 1/3 sack, 2 offensive holding, 1 false start, 50 points (.65 per play). In the context of 50 drop backs, his pass-blocking score was .78, his best of the season. He’s now been penalized 37 times in 58 career games.

Season evaluation: Oher has had a difficult first quarter against what I believe will prove to be slightly above average set of opponents who provided both good run-stopping ability and pass rush. As a run blocker he’s performed fairly well, but he’s again been below average as a pass blocker. It’s time to stop making excuses for him related to position change and expect production wherever he plays. His cumulative score .68 per play, which I’d adjust upwards to a C- based on competition.

And here are the rest of the grades
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: FILMSTUDY: O-Line Grades at the Quarter Pole by player

Those evaluations go along with what most of us saw.

Oher has been pretty average...not horrible, but certainly nowhere close to the top tier of LT's. I do think though that the staff is going to try and keep him there. And I know we beat him up a lot, but after watching the Green Bay game last Monday and the Cardinals game last night, there is a HUGE shortage of quality OT play.

Harewood IMHO has been by far the weak link in this line and while I hope he can improve, his mental and technique errors are glaring on a regular basis. We'll see how he progresses, but the staff may want to eventually look into moving McKinnie back into the lineup and move Oher and KO to get Harewood off the field (and get more practice time to learn).

Birk obviously is on his last legs. Nothing else needs to be said.

Yanda has been Yanda. He should be a pro bowler for the next 3-4 years.

KO shows a ton of potential, but like Film said, he is inconsistent.

About what I expected. Oher isn't a good LT, IMO. I'd let him leave when he hits FA and try to find another option. Birk needs to be replaced next year as well. but for now, let's hope they're good enough for this year.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    About what I expected. Oher isn't a good LT, IMO. I'd let him leave when he hits FA and try to find another option. Birk needs to be replaced next year as well. but for now, let's hope they're good enough for this year.
    Finding a better option than Oher is much easier said than done.

We aren't going to have a high draft pick and Ozzie doesn't reach for need much and we aren't going to have much money to go out and find a UFA (and top LT's don't hit UFA anyway).

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Oher is resigned.

Blog Entries

I agree with raveninwoodlawn. While Oher hasn't really been any where close to the top tier of LT's, he has been average to solid as a starting LT, and looks way better than what a lot of this league have (see Rams, Jets, and Cardinals Oline struggles). While people say that Oher should hit FA, he really isn't going to be THAT expensive to resign, he wont be cheap, but he will be middle of the road, and there really isn't any other better options for us, unless we are picking in the top 10 next year which seems very very unlikely thank god.

Overall I'd give this line a C+ to a B- so far with what we've had. Our Oline is FAR from a disaster compared to what some of this league is seeing right now, and really I can't think of many Olines that look exceptionally good right now anyway. I think Oline struggles is now becoming more of a trend in the NFL, because of the nature of pass rushing teams, and how many good pass rushers there are out there these days.

Matt Birk has one more year left in him. Yanda is maybe the best right guard in football right now, Harewood needs a lot of work, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets benched for Bobbie Williams or even Bryant McKinnie which would cause a re shuffle on the line, but right now he hasn't been quite that bad to warrant a change. He has had 1 or 2 solid games, and I think we should give him at least a little more time. He hasn't exactly been Ben Grubbs, but he has been better than what Andre Gurode was at this point last year.

It hasn't been perfect folks, but before you complain, just go and watch some of the other lines in this league and be grateful that we aren't as bad as that up front. I'd say we are in the top half of the league up front, because of the solid run blocking (apart from the Browns game).

Its a good thing Flacco has gotten better (for the most part) to the point of covering up below average line play, hopefully he just stays healthy. I almost felt sorry for Kolb last night, 16 sacks in 2 games is crazy!

I was hoping for a better report card, but I guess that we are seeing what we have on the field. I wish that McKinnie would get his brain out of his butt-hole so that we could try to get a little more improvement overall, even though that would not help the long-range plan. Harewood may not make the grade and if Williams gets healthy enough they may need to make the switch; which would not require that McKinnie wake up or that KO come off RT. Although that would put too old guys side-by-side, and despite the fact that Williams did not look good in the Pre-season, I am not sure how long they can wait for Harewood.

You always hope that the OL gets better as the season progresses. At the quarter pole, these results are not encouraging.
    Captain Offense

My no.1 want in the draft right now is chance Womack the left guard from bama. If flacco could get good inside protection like brees had and step up into a clean pocket every throw he could be deadly.

Womack looks like a man amongst boys out there

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I agree with raveninwoodlawn. While Oher hasn't really been any where close to the top tier of LT's, he has been average to solid as a starting LT, and looks way better than what a lot of this league have (see Rams, Jets, and Cardinals Oline struggles). While people say that Oher should hit FA, he really isn't going to be THAT expensive to resign, he wont be cheap, but he will be middle of the road, and there really isn't any other better options for us, unless we are picking in the top 10 next year which seems very very unlikely thank god.

Overall I'd give this line a C+ to a B- so far with what we've had. Our Oline is FAR from a disaster compared to what some of this league is seeing right now, and really I can't think of many Olines that look exceptionally good right now anyway. I think Oline struggles is now becoming more of a trend in the NFL, because of the nature of pass rushing teams, and how many good pass rushers there are out there these days.

Matt Birk has one more year left in him. Yanda is maybe the best right guard in football right now, Harewood needs a lot of work, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets benched for Bobbie Williams or even Bryant McKinnie which would cause a re shuffle on the line, but right now he hasn't been quite that bad to warrant a change. He has had 1 or 2 solid games, and I think we should give him at least a little more time. He hasn't exactly been Ben Grubbs, but he has been better than what Andre Gurode was at this point last year.

It hasn't been perfect folks, but before you complain, just go and watch some of the other lines in this league and be grateful that we aren't as bad as that up front. I'd say we are in the top half of the league up front, because of the solid run blocking (apart from the Browns game).
    Yeah, frankly, I don't see how people can complain too much about Oher, or our line in general when you watch some of these other games. There are some truly AWFUL tackles out there...I mean Kipp Vickers/Oneil Cousins bad. Maybe worse. And on some good teams...in addition to the teams you named, the blown call completely took away from the fact that the Green Bay OL allowed the Seahawks to sack Rodgers 8 times...IN ONE HALF.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Finding a better option than Oher is much easier said than done.

We aren't going to have a high draft pick and Ozzie doesn't reach for need much and we aren't going to have much money to go out and find a UFA (and top LT's don't hit UFA anyway).

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Oher is resigned.
    I agree, plus he has versatility. If Oher wants top 5 $ he will walk like Grubbs. Grubbs hasnt been all that great with the Saints, btw. Grubbs wont be pro bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I agree, plus he has versatility. If Oher wants top 5 $ he will walk like Grubbs. Grubbs hasnt been all that great with the Saints, btw. Grubbs wont be pro bowling.
    The run game of the Saints has been way off with Grubbs filling in for Nicks....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Where is Chad Slaughter when you need him?