Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ellerbe played at 266

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    What does Upshaw weigh? ... Bc
    His goal is to get to 265, last I heard he wasn't there and is in the low 270's.

Woodley for the Steelers plays around 270, and I could list about 50 other linebackers in that weight range.

Too Much

Upshaw has a much bigger frame than Ellerbe. Ellerbe is narrower though the shoulders, hips and has much smaller legs. Upshaw is a DE/LB hybrid.
    Totally different body types. Ellerbe has a small frame, his calling card was supposed to be quickness coming out of college. I think, could be wrong that he was in the 230lb range in college.

Upshaw could add 10 lbs easy and be a DE. Upshaw is basically a JJ.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Ellerbe's is healthier, lighter and [I hope] more mature than he was last year...also in this, his 4th season, he should be smarter too. On top of all of that, Pees is putting him into positions where he can be successful. Good stuff all-around. I need to watch him more going forward and on NFLN.

Thinking way too far ahead, but depending on finances and performance, I can see a beefier Christian Thompson filling Ellerbe's role in 2013.
    Thompson, our FS, is going to fill in for Ellerbe at LB or do you mean well play more nickel and dime utilizing Thompson as opposed to ANY ILB? Thompsons future is at FS, on this team, maybe as soon as next year.

honestly i think Ellerbe is back at this point. I dont think hes going to cost that much to retain and well have BA and Lewis another year older or retired. Well most likely draft one but that doesnt mean we wont need to retain the little depth we have as well. we carry 4 currently, and id assume well carry the same moving forward.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Isn't Ellerbee also in a contract year??
    He is. He signed just 1 year deal (2nd round tender) for $1.927M.
    I went ahead and updated his wiki page just for the hell of it

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Thompson, our FS, is going to fill in for Ellerbe at LB or do you mean well play more nickel and dime utilizing Thompson as opposed to ANY ILB? Thompsons future is at FS, on this team, maybe as soon as next year.

honestly i think Ellerbe is back at this point. I dont think hes going to cost that much to retain and well have BA and Lewis another year older or retired. Well most likely draft one but that doesnt mean we wont need to retain the little depth we have as well. we carry 4 currently, and id assume well carry the same moving forward.
    I mean "fill in", but only as an option. So if for any reason the need for a coverage LB becomes greater than the need for an FS, then Thompson could possibly go LB. He's an athletic thumper with decent range, but lacks instincts. Of course, he could be our 2013 SS, if Pollard tests the market.

Ed's health, desire to continue to play, desire to continue to play here, Thompson's growth, free agency, the draft, etc., are all factors. That's why I admitted to thinking way too far ahead. Too many unknowns...

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Upshaw has a much bigger frame than Ellerbe. Ellerbe is narrower though the shoulders, hips and has much smaller legs. Upshaw is a DE/LB hybrid.
    Totally different body types. Ellerbe has a small frame, his calling card was supposed to be quickness coming out of college. I think, could be wrong that he was in the 230lb range in college.

Upshaw could add 10 lbs easy and be a DE. Upshaw is basically a JJ.
    JJ came in to the league as a DT and slimmed down to play OLB/DE. I thought/think it is funny when guys on here argued about Upshaw coming in to camp and try to play at 270lbs and that he should be closer to 265lbs. Really??? 5 WHOLE pounds??? Guys who argue that must weigh 145lbs and think that 5lbs is a big deal. Hell, I'm anywhere from 245-255 on any given day and I can gain or lose 5lbs if i take a good shit, and guys on here think Upshaw being 270 and not 265 is a big deal....hilarious.

266 is way too big for today's NFL.

Frankly, 270 is probably too big for OLB too...Woodley played at that size last year and his coaches called him out for being fat and out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    266 is way too big for today's NFL.

Frankly, 270 is probably too big for OLB too...Woodley played at that size last year and his coaches called him out for being fat and out of shape.
    They called him out coming into training camp at 290, not at his playing weight of 270. He plays at 270 and has for the last 3 years.

265 is not too big depending on your role.

Suggs plays at 265 and has forever, except that one year where he was out of shape.

This really is much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    They called him out coming into training camp at 290, not at his playing weight of 270. He plays at 270 and has for the last 3 years.

265 is not too big depending on your role.

Suggs plays at 265 and has forever, except that one year where he was out of shape.

This really is much ado about nothing.
    The dude was fat last year. Everyone could see he had a bubble butt, he was slow and undefined. 265 may be fine for certain players with certain body types but it wasn't fine for Ellerbe. It showed in his play.

He's clearly slimmed down and is playing faster and smarter.

265 is ok for a 3-4 OLB...not ILB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    265 is ok for a 3-4 OLB...not ILB
    I disagree. It really depends on the player. Brian Cushing is like 260ish. Donta Hightower is 260+. Now, those two guys are 6'4"/6'3", so that makes a difference.

Ellerbe at 260+ is for too heavy IMO because the guy is barely 6'1". 235-245 should be about right for him. When he was at Georgia he was around 230.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.