Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ellerbe played at 266

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...6255750.column

A lot of the bad things appear to be behind him now. Ellerbe once weighed 266 pounds. He now stays under a team prescribed 240. He is still learning the game from Lewis and Reed, but teaching it to some of the younger players as well. He has stepped up as well as grown up.
    I knew he had problems controlling his weight but damn, didn't know he was that big.

Blog Entries

Re: Ellerbe played at 266

He's very athletic. I don't recall him ever seeming to play that outsized. He just needs to work on being more coachable, imo. He's got the physical skills to be a very good linebacker. If he inculcates what the coaches and Lewis are teaching and showing him, he'll get there.

I told you he was fat and slow last year. You could just see his fat gut hanging out, no definition in his arms and had a fat arse on top of it. The Ravens D in the AFC C game vs NE got better once he left with an injury, he couldnt handle the TE's or anybody for that matter. Still not sold on him as a player, he's the not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I told you he was fat and slow last year. You could just see his fat gut hanging out, no definition in his arms and had a fat arse on top of it. The Ravens D in the AFC C game vs NE got better once he left with an injury, he couldnt handle the TE's or anybody for that matter. Still not sold on him as a player, he's the not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    Neither was/is James Harrison. I'm sure Oz wishes he had been more patient there.

LOL at 266 for a linebacker being "fat", especially on the inside in a 3-4 where you typically have one "thumper" and one speed guy.

This 240lb ILB thing is quite new, and was far from the norm until recently with all the passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    he's the not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    Do you know him personally?
    Just going by this message board you don't come across very sharp.
    Harrison micro surgery?

Ellerbeast

Blog Entries

He may have been playing at 260+ but that wasnt by his or the teams design most likely. When youre injured, staying in shape is hard, especially leg injuries. I can see how he put on a few while dealing with his hamstring.
    -JAB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    265 is ok for a 3-4 OLB...not ILB
    I disagree. It really depends on the player. Brian Cushing is like 260ish. Donta Hightower is 260+. Now, those two guys are 6'4"/6'3", so that makes a difference.

Ellerbe at 260+ is for too heavy IMO because the guy is barely 6'1". 235-245 should be about right for him. When he was at Georgia he was around 230.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.