Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

I found this article online. I apologize if it has already been posted. It doesn't sound encouraging.

Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively. If we assume that all the NFL players were treated operatively, as would be the standard for young athletes, the return to play rate of 64% is slightly lower than the 71% reported in the meta-analysis. This difference could be attributed to the excessive demands placed on the operatively repaired Achilles tendon in NFL players combined with a body size, strength, and explosiveness that would further increase these demands.

The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts. Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature.

http://lowerextremityreview.com/arti...tendon-rupture

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I found this article online. I apologize if it has already been posted. It doesn't sound encouraging.
    Wow how in the hell do you find that?? Great find and some more FACTS that people want to ignore. It is even worse than I estimated, much worse matter of fact.

Any questions people? Go ahead and run your traps now. Tell me how little I know again.

And Suggs is gonna play in 6.5 months?? LOL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    No athlete, with all their "supreme athleticism and technology" has EVER come back in less than 8 months.

The last time this nonsense came up I challenged anyone to prove otherwise, using all documented history on the internet ( I found about 10 very recent NFL Football cases alone, not to mention all the other sports which puts it in the hundreds I am guessing)...and no one could.

November 18 would be 6.5 months, it aint happening.

An achilles is worse than an ACL, especially for a pass rusher, and people think Adrian Peterson is a God because he came back in 7 months from that injury.

I will gladly take the bet, as long as we qualify him playing more than say 15 snaps, which would pretty much be pass rushing situations only. If he plays less than that and can't hold up to finish the game that does not count.

Enjoy posting while you can.
    No, straight up, Suggs could get knocked out on another injury or the staff might hold him back. Put up or shut up.

Last edited by Captain Silver; 10-02-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    No, straight up, Suggs could get knocked out on another injury or the staff might hold him back. Put up or shut up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    LOL now you are trying to back out. What is Suggs worth playing less than 25% of the defensive snaps? There is zero chance you can win if he goes in for 2 plays and comes out immediately. It won't be some "other" injury. 15 snaps is a more than fair number.

I insta called the second you shoved your chips in the middle.

I bet that last post Dirt made got you a little bit scared no?

Let's put some money on it as well if you want to play games. How about that? Name your price.

Blog Entries

No miracle has ever happened with an achilles injury, not to a high level athlete. Ever. It is a devastating injury, much worse than ACL. BEST recovery time I found was 8 months (to be back on field playing), usually it is an 8-10 month injury. ACL is like 5-7 months these days.

You see how no one can provide one example? That is because these "miracles" do not exist with this injury. I am sorry, I spent almost an entire day LAST TIME we went over this and KNOW what I am talking about. That is how I KNOW, because I actually spent the time to research it unlike every other person who claims otherwise.

I put up or shut up, but apparently no one else wants to do the same.
    I think you missed my point. 5-7 months is the standard for an ACL now. When Woodson did it all those years ago it wasn't. Back then ACL meant season over. Changes happen, Suggs could be the first like Woodson was. I'll admit it's unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Blog Entries

LOL now you are trying to back out. What is Suggs worth playing less than 25% of the defensive snaps? There is zero chance you can win if he goes in for 2 plays and comes out immediately. It won't be some "other" injury. 15 snaps is a more than fair number.

I insta called the second you shoved your chips in the middle.

I bet that last post Dirt made got you a little bit scared no?

Let's put some money on it as well if you want to play games. How about that? Name your price.
    I don't know why you need to make it complex, he plays that means he recovered from the injury you say no one can come back from, there is nothing in your data that talks about 25%, you just added that to cover your ass.

I can see you're scared.
    Last edited by Captain Silver; 10-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I think you missed my point. 5-7 months is the standard for an ACL now. When Woodson did it all those years ago it wasn't. Back then ACL meant season over. Changes happen, Suggs could be the first like Woodson was. I'll admit it's unlikely but stranger things have happened.
    Fair enough.

The problem is Suggs wouldn't be in the low end of the recovery window like Rice, he would be light years ahead of it by about 2-3 months. Totally different position physical requirements and injury as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I don't know why you need to make it complex, he plays that means he recovered from the injury you say no one can come back from, there is nothing in your data that talks about 25%, you just added that to cover your ass.

I can see your scared.
    So how much are you putting up? Talk is cheap.

Let's get that squared away first.

Blog Entries

I put up or shut up, but apparently no one else wants to do the same.
    I'm game.

But first lets establish what you're saying.

Are you saying Suggs won't play this year?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I'm game.

But first lets establish what you're saying.

Are you saying Suggs won't play this year?
    No I said find one example of a high level athlete coming back in less than 8 months, which would be late December. (Gonna be hard because that athlete does not exist). Any sport, had bad enough achilles injury to require surgery. Pretty simple, you have the entire internet at your disposal.

That is when I said the earliest he would come back in, late December. Not that he would not play at all this year.

Blog Entries

No I said find one example of a high level athlete coming back in less than 8 months, which would be late December. (Gonna be hard because that athlete does not exist). Any sport, had bad enough achilles injury to require surgery. Pretty simple, you have the entire internet at your disposal.

That is when I said the earliest he would come back in, late December. Not that he would not play at all this year.
    Well I am willing to bet he plays this year, as in the regular season. Finding other athletes who haven't come back doesn't matter to me.

If you want to bet on when he comes back, whether he doesn't or an over/under let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Well I am willing to bet he plays this year, as in the regular season. Finding other athletes who haven't come back doesn't matter to me.

If you want to bet on when he comes back, whether he doesn't or an over/under let me know.
    November 18th is 6.5 months from surgery, that is the Pittsburgh game where other seem to think he will be back by ready to go.