Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 73 to 84 of 214
  1. #73

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season



    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Wally Williams and Johnny Unitas did, both had complete tears not a small 2cm partial tear near calf muscle. Thats just off the top of my head. Johnny was back in 4 1/2 months led the Colts to SB.
    You can hear Wally in an interview talk about his injury (fully torn)
    and Suggs injury.

    “I was back, from the day I had surgery, to on the field in six months,” he said.
    http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/0...es-in-the-nfl/




  2. #74

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Wally Williams and Johnny Unitas did, both had complete tears not a small 2cm partial tear near calf muscle. Thats just off the top of my head. Johnny was back in 4 1/2 months led the Colts to SB.
    Right because we know how accurate you are with your statements we will just take your word for it.




  3. #75

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfactoid View Post
    Dude you are wrong. There is a big difference between a partial and a full tear in reguards to rehabbing. A partial tear is a much less invasive surgery than a full tear. The big difference between the two is the rehab time. With Suggs partial tear he began rehabbing much sooner than afull tear. What i mean by that is stretching which doesn't sound like much but it is a big part of the rehab for an achilles. Thus will enable him to get on the field sooner. So yes there is a difference.
    Put some money up then or SOMETHING, I am obviously wrong.

    All this talk but no one wants to back it up.

    Put up or shut up. I have.

    The list of [people who want to "prove me wrong" seems to be very long, yet the list of people willing to actually do something about it is pretty short.




  4. #76

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    I forgot about Wally Williams, got me there. He is 1 in a thousand...hundreds whatever. Only took all 20 of you all day long to find ONE guy. Still like my odds....a whole lot.

    Would like to see a link for the random hockey player that was mentioned in 4.5 months. Prove it.




  5. #77

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Right because we know how accurate you are with your statements we will just take your word for it.
    Dude...I think you're going to have to take your lumps with this one. See the post immediately above yours, and then the references to Beckham and the hockey player.

    Who knows, you may be right that Suggs doesn't come back before the play-offs...but to reject the notion as a medical impossibility seems to be erroneous.

    Keep in mind that doctors are covering their asses when they give recovery time estimates for athletes. I wouldn't want to encourage a player to come back faster than is widely accepted...even if he feels like he is healthy enough to play. The last thing I'd want to do is say, "yeah, if you fel like you're good to go, then go," only to have the player re-injure himself and turn around and say, but you told me it was OK to go back.

    That doesn't mean that all people are subject to the same timetable for recovery. If he's already running and jumping and stretching, then the doctor likely approved the accelerated timetable. Personally, I think we'll see him Nov. 4 @ Cleveland as a situational pass rusher. He'll be fully starting by the first Pitt game. Those are my opinions and I acknowledge that they are based on nothing other than my gut feeling which means about as much as all the other conjecture in this thread.




  6. #78

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    I forgot about Wally Williams, got me there. He is 1 in a thousand...hundreds whatever. Still like my odds....a whole lot.

    Would like to see a link for the random hockey player that was mentioned in 4.5 months. Prove it.
    You like your odds, I like Suggs odds, and we all should be pulling for him. At least you can say you hope you are wrong.....that would be a team move IMO.
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  7. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,772
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    You just never know with injuries. For example, my sister-in-law stubbed her toe in 2004, and hasn't worked since... Bc




  8. #80

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    You like your odds, I like Suggs odds, and we all should be pulling for him. At least you can say you hope you are wrong.....that would be a team move IMO.
    Try reading the thread instead of jumping in because I said those exact words in a previous post from about 30 min ago.




  9. #81

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Dude...I think you're going to have to take your lumps with this one. See the post immediately above yours, and then the references to Beckham and the hockey player.

    Who knows, you may be right that Suggs doesn't come back before the play-offs...but to reject the notion as a medical impossibility seems to be erroneous.

    Keep in mind that doctors are covering their asses when they give recovery time estimates for athletes. I wouldn't want to encourage a player to come back faster than is widely accepted...even if he feels like he is healthy enough to play. The last thing I'd want to do is say, "yeah, if you fel like you're good to go, then go," only to have the player re-injure himself and turn around and say, but you told me it was OK to go back.

    That doesn't mean that all people are subject to the same timetable for recovery. If he's already running and jumping and stretching, then the doctor likely approved the accelerated timetable. Personally, I think we'll see him Nov. 4 @ Cleveland as a situational pass rusher. He'll be fully starting by the first Pitt game. Those are my opinions and I acknowledge that they are based on nothing other than my gut feeling which means about as much as all the other conjecture in this thread.
    For you and everyone else too lazy to read the entire thread...

    Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury.

    The percentage of players returning to play at the NFL level is consistent with a meta-analysis performed by Bhandari4 in 2002. The authors reported return to function rates of 63% for patients treated nonoperatively and 71% for those treated operatively. If we assume that all the NFL players were treated operatively, as would be the standard for young athletes, the return to play rate of 64% is slightly lower than the 71% reported in the meta-analysis. This difference could be attributed to the excessive demands placed on the operatively repaired Achilles tendon in NFL players combined with a body size, strength, and explosiveness that would further increase these demands.

    The length of time to allow full activity after Achilles tendon repair is generally thought to be four to six months.4-6 The 11 months needed to return to play as a professional football player seems considerably longer. However, there is a major difference between allowing full activity and returning to play in the NFL. Even when the typical patient is allowed to participate in full activity, it does not mean that he or she is adequately rehabilitated to perform at maximal efforts. Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature.

    http://lowerextremityreview.com/arti...tendon-rupture
    6.5 months would be a minor miracle, especially with a pass rusher who has to push off on that leg to create pressure. How many soccer or hockey players need to drive through a 350lb tackle?




  10. #82

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    You just never know with injuries. For example, my sister-in-law stubbed her toe in 2004, and hasn't worked since... Bc
    lol




  11. #83

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    For you and everyone else too lazy to read the entire thread...



    6.5 months would be a minor miracle, especially with a pass rusher who has to push off on that leg to create pressure. How many soccer or hockey players need to drive through a 350lb tackle?
    Whatever.....you would never be on the Ravens. Obviously you are not Harbaugh's type of guy, or even Joe's really......its all about your opinion and being right, when we are here for something else.
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  12. #84

    Re: Suggs on Track for Return This Season

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    For you and everyone else too lazy to read the entire thread...



    6.5 months would be a minor miracle, especially with a pass rusher who has to push off on that leg to create pressure. How many soccer or hockey players need to drive through a 350lb tackle?
    Reading comprehension test. In the context of the paragraph you quoted, what does the following line mean?

    "Studies to determine maximal improvement after surgical treatment are lacking in the orthopedic literature."

    Answer? There has not been enough study done to suggest a firm timetable for a return to "maximal effort."

    Effect on your point? There is no accepted timetable for a return to maximal effort, thus, Suggs could very well hit that six month point and he capable of "maximal effort."




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland