Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Onto the Chiefs (Merged)

My buddy is an out and out Chargers fan and is coming round my house to watch the game today, so I will be watching the Chiefs very closely for next week. They are seriously a very puzzling team, I thought they were going to be what the Cardinals have been so far this year, with the talent they have on both sides of the ball. I don't know what to expect from them, but if there is ever a place to fix your road game issues, Arrowhead is the place to fix it.

They have a scary front 7 with Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, and Justin Houston. Their secondary is good if they are healthy, and their offensive line is awesome. Charles is very dangerous and can take it to the house, then you have Peyton Hillis who has had his way with the Ravens in the last few years. The one thing they don't have IMO is a franchise QB, I think the Chiefs are going to be looking at a QB in next years draft.

So IMO, this may be quietly the toughest game of the season so far. This team has so much talent, and it's a very tough place to go, they seem to be incredibly inconsistent, but they are probably already looking at this game since it's the Ravens. I really don't understand how this team aint at least 2-1, I picked them to win the division at the beginning of the season.

Joe Flacco has had two huge games vs this team, and it's still a pretty similar team with some new additions. He torched them back in 09, and torched them in the 2010 wild card round, both games were on the road. So basically if we're going to win this game, it's going to be in the passing game. I expect big games from Boldin, Pitta, and Smith. Last time we played them, Todd Heap and Boldin had massive games in the slot against them, Heap had like 10 catches if I remember correctly. Pitta has to be the same go to guy if we want to win this. Defense must step up. Despite allowing a ton of rushing TD's so far, the run D has been mostly solid since giving ground to BJGE in week 1.

I will be watching this game today and taking notes, that's for sure. This could be a huge game for us next week, going 4-1 and fixing our issues on the road in Arrowhead will be bigger than you think.

Blog Entries

Re: An early preview of the Chiefs

we've only seen jamaal charles the starter once...In 2009, we played them opening week, with Brodie Croyle and Larry Johnson as starters. That game was a bit rough in the beginning (sloppy play), but we managed to cover the 14 pt spread with a last minute TD to put us up 14...

We saw them in the 2010 playoffs, where we made Cassel our bitch, 0 TDs, 3 picks. Charles had the lone bright spot for them, 9 carries, 82 yards, with a 41 yard rushing TD. Dwayne Bowe either didn't play that game or wasn't a factor, as he had no catches.

Since then, I think Cassel has gotten a good deal better, more comfortable. Also, they got rid of Haley, so immediate benefits there. This could be another let down type game. Now, we have a lot more time to prepare, but going into KC and playing a team seen as a lowly competitor, could catch some guys off guard. Especially when our D hasn't shown much ability to enforce it's will on a team. We can make good plays here and there, but so far this season, if a team wants to score on us and executes well, they end up scoring.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Stop Charles and Bowe and the Chiefs are done, but our offense cant pull a Jacksonville......
    Way Down South in New Orleans

KC is not a very good team.

As long as we don't beat ourselves we shouldn't have a problem.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

leach-
    I didn't know all of that about the Chefs, but it just brings to mind a very trite cliche - the Ravens need to beat the teams they "should" beat"....

Arrowhead's a tough place to play, even though we've won the last two times we've played there (incl ending that long not losing in December at home streak for KC). Be interesting to see what they do against San Diego, as last year they were a streaky team - lost 3, won 4, lost 4, then win-loss-win-loss-win. They did play better towards the end, so getting them early isn't too bad.

I think their O-line is not their best strength, though: Cassel's been sacked 11 times in 3 games.

That said, they do have talent and they've a decent D which has started badly, but could always pick it up. As long as they force Cassel to beat the Ravens D, it should be fine. Charles is the danger man. It could end up being a defensive slog.

The Ravens could very well lose this game and I wouldn't be surprised if they did - it's one of those I pegged down as a loss as I thought the Ravens would start slow. The Ravens just need to assert the fact that they're a better team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    My buddy is an out and out Chargers fan and is coming round my house to watch the game today, so I will be watching the Chiefs very closely for next week. They are seriously a very puzzling team, I thought they were going to be what the Cardinals have been so far this year, with the talent they have on both sides of the ball. I don't know what to expect from them, but if there is ever a place to fix your road game issues, Arrowhead is the place to fix it.

They have a scary front 7 with Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, and Justin Houston. Their secondary is good if they are healthy, and their offensive line is awesome. Charles is very dangerous and can take it to the house, then you have Peyton Hillis who has had his way with the Ravens in the last few years. The one thing they don't have IMO is a franchise QB, I think the Chiefs are going to be looking at a QB in next years draft.

So IMO, this may be quietly the toughest game of the season so far. This team has so much talent, and it's a very tough place to go, they seem to be incredibly inconsistent, but they are probably already looking at this game since it's the Ravens. I really don't understand how this team aint at least 2-1, I picked them to win the division at the beginning of the season.

Joe Flacco has had two huge games vs this team, and it's still a pretty similar team with some new additions. He torched them back in 09, and torched them in the 2010 wild card round, both games were on the road. So basically if we're going to win this game, it's going to be in the passing game. I expect big games from Boldin, Pitta, and Smith. Last time we played them, Todd Heap and Boldin had massive games in the slot against them, Heap had like 10 catches if I remember correctly. Pitta has to be the same go to guy if we want to win this. Defense must step up. Despite allowing a ton of rushing TD's so far, the run D has been mostly solid since giving ground to BJGE in week 1.

I will be watching this game today and taking notes, that's for sure. This could be a huge game for us next week, going 4-1 and fixing our issues on the road in Arrowhead will be bigger than you think.
    That 2009 games was in Baltimore not KC.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    we've only seen jamaal charles the starter once...In 2009, we played them opening week, with Brodie Croyle and Larry Johnson as starters. That game was a bit rough in the beginning (sloppy play), but we managed to cover the 14 pt spread with a last minute TD to put us up 14...

We saw them in the 2010 playoffs, where we made Cassel our bitch, 0 TDs, 3 picks. Charles had the lone bright spot for them, 9 carries, 82 yards, with a 41 yard rushing TD. Dwayne Bowe either didn't play that game or wasn't a factor, as he had no catches.

Since then, I think Cassel has gotten a good deal better, more comfortable. Also, they got rid of Haley, so immediate benefits there. This could be another let down type game. Now, we have a lot more time to prepare, but going into KC and playing a team seen as a lowly competitor, could catch some guys off guard. Especially when our D hasn't shown much ability to enforce it's will on a team. We can make good plays here and there, but so far this season, if a team wants to score on us and executes well, they end up scoring.
    I agree that the Chiefs will be tough but the Ravens are not viewing them as a lowly team especially since they've played some of these same players recently and know that they can hurt them. I think as fans we have a tendency to go with a perceived trend when in reality its just the way the league is. In 2008 no one said the Ravens would overlook an opponent because they throttled everybody .500 or under (they couldn't beat the big boys though but that was a function of a rookie QB, HC and one receiver more than anything else). Now because the Ravens lost to the Jags(Seattle and the Tits were not letdowns in any way shape or form) everyone expects a letdown when playing a perceived lesser team in their house.

The Ravens need to jump on the Chiefs and get a lead and force turnovers because the Chiefs are going to run at the Ravens and run some more to control the clock, get a lead and unleash their pass rush. Even if its an uneven game the Ravens have a more complete offense that's capable of bringing them back. I am not so sure if KC has that.

Blog Entries

For once i can say im not worried bout the offense, KCs front 7 spells trouble for our Oline though. I'm worried this defense is going to make cassells look like A.Rod last year, this will not be a game we suppose dominate like previous meetings.

They are tops in the league in total offensive yardage and rushing yards. We also made Weeden look like a serviceable QB, allowing 300+ yards in the air.

I don't see why folks think this one is going to be a cake walk. It's an away game and against a team that has proved they can be explosive. Charles is coming off a 288 yard performance against a pretty decent Saints run defense, their record not withstanding. Sure, if you stop Charles and Bowe, you stand a good chance at winning.

The problem is it's nowhere near easy as folks think it is, especially considering our pass rush is still on milk cartons.

I expect a win but it won't be a cakewalk like before.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They are tops in the league in total offensive yardage and rushing yards. We also made Weeden look like a serviceable QB, allowing 300+ yards in the air.

I don't see why folks think this one is going to be a cake walk. It's an away game and against a team that has proved they can be explosive. Charles is coming off a 288 yard performance against a pretty decent Saints run defense, their record not withstanding. Sure, if you stop Charles and Bowe, you stand a good chance at winning.

The problem is it's nowhere near easy as folks think it is, especially considering our pass rush is still on milk cartons.
    No game is a cake walk, but I'm not scared of KC.

KC had a great second half against NO and aside from that they have been horrible. Especially on defense.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold