Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One thing the offense must do going forward

This might be obvious but while we're seeing steps being made by our offense, the biggest thing preventing them from being an elite one right now is converting 1st downs and sustaining drives.

We're in the bottom half in that. Also time of possession. While part of it is because we're a fast past offense the biggest is that we haven't consistently sustained drives.

In the second half of the Eagles and throughout the Browns game we would get quick 3 & outs or we couldn't consistently move the chains and our defense would be right back on the field. We look at the yards are offense put up against the Browns but sustaining drives didn't match the yards total.

This will be a crucial thing going forward in terms of how many games we will win this year.

Re: One thing the offense must do going forward

Agreed. I keep saying it, if the offense keeps getting off to slow starts it's going to cost us in a big game. We won this because we played the browns who have absolutely stunk the past decade.

While I agree to some extent... the Ravens haven't scored fewer than 23 points through the first four games, and they're averaging 30 and change right now. If they can keep up that kind of scoring rate (last year, they averaged 23.6 points/game and scored fewer than 23 points six times), they'll be in every game.

I mean, the Ravens beat the Browns last year by scores of 24-10 (away) and 20-14 (home). Cleveland was in the game against the Ravens in Baltimore last year too. Remembering that game, I think I felt pretty much the same about that one as I did this one.

Guess what I'm saying is that I'm less worried about the offense that is averaging about seven points per game better than last year than the defense which is surrendering about four more points per game.

The slow starts are primarly do to the fact that Cam scripts the first 10 (or so) plays in advance - based on what he thinks will work - prior to seeing how the opposing team will play them. He's terrible at this and the Ravens do not begin to move until they put the scripted plays behind them. It's difficult competing in this league when your offensive coordinator has half a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    The slow starts are primarly do to the fact that Cam scripts the first 10 (or so) plays in advance - based on what he thinks will work - prior to seeing how the opposing team will play them. He's terrible at this and the Ravens do not begin to move until they put the scripted plays behind them. It's difficult competing in this league when your offensive coordinator has half a brain.
    When did the size increase?

Blog Entries

I watched the Pats game last night and the 2nd half the offense was really clicking. Came back from several deficits because the D couldn't stop them. Top 5 offense in the league and still half the threads on here are crying about it. Geez it's not Madden.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

There is one word in that whole paragraph that matters and it's consistency. I don't expect them to score on every possession. I even expect a 3 and out here and there. We just can't have a string of them during the game. This offense is frustrating. At times we look like the best offense in the league and at other times they look like the worse.

i remember watching flaccos championship games his senior year in college. my nephew was the blue hen mascot so i watched the games. except for the delaware state game joe didn;t do anything in the first half and then came storming back in the second half in the 3 remaining championship games.

joe's MO is the game at minnesota that we played a few years ago when he came on strong at the end. i think its a joe issue more than a cam issue.

What this offense needs to do is simply continue to do what it's doing, putting up yards and points, and winning games.

Blog Entries

I'm curious to see how consistent we will be on the road. That's where the true test will lie. We have a stretch of road games coming up and they're going to determine what type of offense we have.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    While I agree to some extent... the Ravens haven't scored fewer than 23 points through the first four games, and they're averaging 30 and change right now. If they can keep up that kind of scoring rate (last year, they averaged 23.6 points/game and scored fewer than 23 points six times), they'll be in every game.

I mean, the Ravens beat the Browns last year by scores of 24-10 (away) and 20-14 (home). Cleveland was in the game against the Ravens in Baltimore last year too. Remembering that game, I think I felt pretty much the same about that one as I did this one.

Guess what I'm saying is that I'm less worried about the offense that is averaging about seven points per game better than last year than the defense which is surrendering about four more points per game.
    This in a big way is about the defense. The offense needs to help the D out by not continuous putting them right back on the field. If this was a better team we lose the game. We're 21st in the league in converting 1st downs. We've had a lot of 3 and outs. Top offenses are great at converting. It's a fact. Being able to convert is huge going forward. It's a sign of how efficient & consistent your offense is. Especially if you're an offense that needs to carry the weight.

I'm not expecting 30 points every game just want the offense to be able stay on the field and not having those spurts where they can't string first downs. 3 and outs randomly throughout is understandable but we seem to get in some big lulls and it puts your defense in a difficult position. The offense also only scored 16. The same as the Browns O.
    Last edited by scbgirlxo; 09-29-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I watched the Pats game last night and the 2nd half the offense was really clicking. Came back from several deficits because the D couldn't stop them. Top 5 offense in the league and still half the threads on here are crying about it. Geez it's not Madden.
    No one is denying what they did against the Patriots wasn't great. But they did get some help from the refs on two BS DPI penalties that helped them stay on the field. And this about consistency. Did we not go through an entire half in Philly where we kept getting 3 and out after 3 and out? Did that not have a direct impact on us losing the game? Did we not go through big spurts in the Browns game where we got 3 and out after 3 out? Did that not have a direct impact on us almost having to go into OT?

I'm not crying. I'm being a realist. While you might be excited over all flashiness of actually getting yards I'm more concerned about being efficient and not putting our defense in difficult situations when they are having their own struggles. This is important going forward. I'm not saying the O needs to have 30 points every game. I'm saying they need to be more efficient & consistent by sustaining drives. And we can't even say the O carried the weight in the Browns game they only put up 16 points on top of making the D quickly be right back on the field. So again consistency.
    Last edited by scbgirlxo; 09-29-2012 at 06:41 PM.