Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 19

Thread: Albert McLellan

  1. #1

    Albert McLellan



    This guy has arguably the best linebacker on the team through four games.

    He is extremely good at setting the edge. Not only does he shed blockers (usually massive tackles), but he maintains backside pursuit destroying any cutbacks. He is a very sure tackler and a huge part of why our run defense has been so stout this year. Even Mayock was raving about him yesterday. What a find by Ozzie.




  2. #2

    Re: Albert McLellan

    He's a solid player in the JJ mold. Not spectacular, but a good athlete who is heady and understands his role well. He's also probably a bit more versatile than JJ because he can play the role of the edge-setting OLB or fill in at MLB in pinch, as he did quite well against the Niners last Thanksgiving when Ray was hurt.

    Best of all, he is under team control through 2014 at a stupidly affordable rate.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,617
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Albert McLellan

    The best thing about McClellan is that he seems to be getting better with playing time. The Ravens have a long history of guys waiting for their chance, Bart Scott, Adalius Thomas, Kelly Gregg, Jarrett Johnson, and then making the most of it when it comes. Could be the same for McClellan.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  4. #4

    Re: Albert McLellan

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The best thing about McClellan is that he seems to be getting better with playing time. The Ravens have a long history of guys waiting for their chance, Bart Scott, Adalius Thomas, Kelly Gregg, Jarrett Johnson, and then making the most of it when it comes. Could be the same for McClellan.
    and Perhaps Ellerbe??...Hopefully




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,127
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Albert McLellan

    Ellerbe is playing good ball too and honestly, Upshaw has been impressive.

    Were it not for the personal foul on Kruger, he had a fine game against Cleveland. He rushed the passer pretty well and he looked decent in space and knocked down a couple of passes.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    6,050
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Albert McLellan

    I don't see what you guys see about Upshaw, against the run he's solid but so far i haven't seen nothing in the pass rush dept from him or Kruger, they both look slow as hell and have no moves to shed blocks. A.M has look good though setting the edge, he's getting real better, Ellerbe is starting to gain some form but still bad in coverage.




  7. #7

    Re: Albert McLellan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I don't see what you guys see about Upshaw, against the run he's solid but so far i haven't seen nothing in the pass rush dept from him or Kruger, they both look slow as hell and have no moves to shed blocks. A.M has look good though setting the edge, he's getting real better, Ellerbe is starting to gain some form but still bad in coverage.
    Agreed. I'm not as concerned about Upshaw as I am Kruger though.. he's had about 7 good plays in 4 games.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Albert McLellan

    Upshaw is so far exactly what I thought he'd be. A solid run stopper, sets the edge brilliantly, can tackle and good hustle, but just isn't there yet in the pass rushing department. Albert is, IMO the same as upshaw, does the same things well, and like upshaw isn't a great pass rusher yet.

    Both have been considerably better in Kruger in all departments, who hasn't really stepped up. I'd start Albert and upshaw and put Kruger back in his third down rush the passer role which he can handle.




  9. #9

    Re: Albert McLellan

    People have a short sided view of Upshaw as a pass rusher, if your talking hands, strength and pass rush instincts he has IT, he doesnt have the closing burst to be an elite pass rusher but his hands are so strong and he uses them so well i could see him as a 6 to 8 sack per season guy when Suggs is back. None of these guys have shown the can beat their guy consistently when the opposing o-line doesnt have the burden of overcompensating for Suggs but once he's back i think Upshaw is the guy that could win his mismatch the most often.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    6,050
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Albert McLellan

    Thats thing though, linemen are blocking these guys one on one and they still cant win their match ups, so when Suggs come back does it make a difference? If they cant win those matchups now what makes us think they can win em when suggs comes back?




  11. #11

    Re: Albert McLellan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Thats thing though, linemen are blocking these guys one on one and they still cant win their match ups, so when Suggs come back does it make a difference? If they cant win those matchups now what makes us think they can win em when suggs comes back?
    Because a healthy Suggs gets more attention, they shift protection his way, they chip on his side, etc. Right now O-Line's can pretty much just play straight up.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,236
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Albert McLellan

    I honestly believe when Suggs is back, the best defense you could put out there would be Suggs-Ray-McClellan-Upshaw. With Elerbee and McClain rotating in. I believe that McClellan has STAR potencial at ILB, but just isn't a good enough pass rusher to be an elite 3-4 OLB, he looks like he could be really good there like JJ, but I think he can be even better as an ILB in a 3-4, perhaps elite.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland