Thread: Special Teams

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Special Teams

Getting lost in the wash is our continuing struggles on special teams...

We rank 26th in return yards, though I like the flashes that Deonte Thompson has shown. (I continue not to know why Webb even goes back there, but maybe Jacoby got hurt tonight?)

Our shaky punt coverage reared its head again tonight at the worst possible time.

Also, the snaps a concern. For two kicks in a row--the game-winner vs. New England and the first extra point--there was a terrible snap.

That's not to take anything away from Tucker. He missed a 45-yarder today, and that's all on him, but he remains our bright spot on ST. Just something to mull over as we enjoy (as much as we can) a win over another AFC foe.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Re: Special Teams

Special teams tonight were horrible and did NO favors to the team.

Blog Entries

Thompson could have helped a lot if he hadn't taken out a few of those kicks. The blocking just doesn't seem to do anything.

As for punt coverage on the big return, fairly sure I saw holding and a block in the back that went uncalled, and kept the lane down the sidelines open.

Webb only goes in to catch punts that will fall between the goal line and the twenty. They just his hands and his judgement. I think you will find that over the course of the season, his return yardage will be slim.

As far as Thompson, they need to coach him up some more on when and where to take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Thompson could have helped a lot if he hadn't taken out a few of those kicks. The blocking just doesn't seem to do anything.

As for punt coverage on the big return, fairly sure I saw holding and a block in the back that went uncalled, and kept the lane down the sidelines open.
    Thompson certainly made one very bad decision to return a KO out of the endzone. The others I agreed with. One of these times he'll get the sideline.

On punt coverage, the Browns' PRs seemed to deke the gunners from getting in position to down Koch's punts inside the 10 on a couple, by faking lining up a fair catch. On the other hand Allen's brain fart of running into the KR was not ideal either.

The biggest single ST play of the night was knocking Cribbs out of the game. He is one of Cleveland's few weapons. Before crucifying Cox for his snaps, note that he was in on that Cribbs tackle. I'm glad Cribbs was OK; he's a baller trapped in Cleveland.

Tucker got his first miss out of the way w/ no harm done. He hit touchbacks on KOs. The missed PAT [which I feared would send the game to OT] was on the snap, not him.

Special teams was less of a problem than our phantom pass rush

Blog Entries

Special needs teams, more like--an old story with the Ravens. The one constant in performances that occasionally rise to the level of mediocrity is Rosburg, who IMHO is even worse at what he spozedly does than Cam. Unless he has negatives of Harbs with 5 dwarfs, a burro & a 55-gallon drum of boysenberry syrup, it's hard for me to understand why they haven't sent him packing.

:word
    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Cribbs forced fumble?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think Special Teams have been pretty good this year, compared to last season. This has been the only game (IMO) with some questionable play.

Minus the one return his game and the botched snap I thought our special teams has been stellar thus far. A marked improvement from last year. I commented on it in a game thread we have improved drastically since lat year.

The signings have worked, graham etc, but also our own players have stepped up, ellerbe, Allen etc have had good plays on st coverage, again, for Allen minus that silly play last night were I just don't think he seen the signal.