Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Whole lotta STUPID.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Going with a theme here.

5. Dean Pees. You need to get it together, and soon. This isn't a personel issue, this is a scheme issue.
    It's funny.. I like to look at other teams forums to see what their fan bases are saying. This quote could have come from a Steelers forum. Guy actually say "talent" and not personnel. I remember when reading it thinking how fans fall in love with players and are less likely to criticize them.. but blaming a faceless coach whom they have no investment in is OK.

It's both I think. Pees is short handed and you just don't replace a disruptive force like Suggs. Ray is showing his age. He's making tackles, but they're down field.. Is that scheme or personnel? Probably both.

Here's the link to a similar Steeler thread if you're interested.
    http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=91620

Is it wishful thinking to imagine that Suggs can come in here off his achilles and return to form ? If and when he comes back, will he just be a decoy that takes prep time away from an opponent? Looking at him on the sides, it appears he's put on some pounds...

Blog Entries

Going with a theme here.

This game should not have been close, but it was, for a few reasons, but a couple of things were controllable.

1. Joe Flacco, what the hell were you thinking throwing that pick in the EZ?

2. Michael Oher, I swear to god, you are the dumbest human alive. You probably could have been called for 10 false starts, 6 holds, several of which occured away from the play or after the runner went by(oh yeah, you DID get one of those!), and nearly punched a ref. IDIOT.

3. Anthony Allen, are you a freaking moron? Hitting the dude after he has signaled a fair catch? IDIOT. Way to cost your team for no reason.

4. Paul Kruger!!! Bonehead of the Year goes to you my man. I'm sorry, that was easily the dumbest thing I have ever seen since Leon Lett roamed the field.

5. Dean Pees. You need to get it together, and soon. This isn't a personel issue, this is a scheme issue.
    1. I'm willing to give Joe a mulligan there. He didn't make another poor choice like that all game, and it's been since 2009 that he's thrown a red zone pick.

2. Yeah...I'm willing to consider McKinnie at LT over Oher now. That said, coaches see who's playing better in practice. The holding call appeared to be borderline, the commentators thought it was pretty fleeting. At least one of his false starts was also with Dennis Pitta.

3. If I can find a replay of the AA play...I swear I never saw the guy call for a fair catch. I saw him stand there, field the punt and it looked like he was turning his body to try to cut upfield.

4. After the NE game last week, I would've hoped Harbaugh had the talk with these guys. Don't retaliate, period. Never leads to anything good. Thomas was pushing and grabbing him, whatever. Just let it go, we had Mankins pulling that shit last week and we got more than a couple flags out of it.

5. It's probably somewhere between Pees and the personell. But, I have to love that early on, I'm hearing "WHY WON'T PEES BLITZ, THERE'S NO F-ING PASS RUSH ON WEEDEN?!?!?!". Then Pees blitzes and they block it well, and everyone goes "WHY ARE YOU BLITZING PEES?!?!?! NO NEED TO BLITZ HERE!!!!!". So then Pees stops blitzing and Weeden has all day to find receivers and everyone's back to "PEES, YOU LOOK LIKE MATTISON'S 3 MAN RUSH, BLITZ YOU IDIOT!!!!!"

The problem is our secondary isn't able to hang with these receivers man on man for more then 3-4 seconds. Unless we can get in the QBs face or get a hand on them in 3-4 seconds, they're finding a guy downfield in between a couple defenders. I don't know if we're playing zone or what, but we're giving up way too many easy conversions and we're getting almost no INT chances. I think apart from Cary's INT, we had maybe 2 or 3 times a defender had a near pick on Weeden, while Flacco had about 4-5 against a depleted secondary.

I just want people to stop this double standard on DCs. If you blitz, you are taking the gamble of leaving our secondary exposed. If they can pickup enough blitzers to give their QB 4 seconds to throw, we're done. So the alternative is to load up your coverage and try to hang with the options downfield until one of your 3-4 rushers can pressure Weeden enough to force a checkdown. Where I won't give Pees a pass: Neither of those were working. He has to find a scheme to hide our weaknesses.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

It's not that he doesn't blitz or try to bring pressure, it's that it's 100% predictable and easily picked up. They need to do a better job of disguising it. When they have done that, it's been effective.

Going with a theme here.

This game should not have been close, but it was, for a few reasons, but a couple of things were controllable.

1. Joe Flacco, what the hell were you thinking throwing that pick in the EZ?

2. Michael Oher, I swear to god, you are the dumbest human alive. You probably could have been called for 10 false starts, 6 holds, several of which occured away from the play or after the runner went by(oh yeah, you DID get one of those!), and nearly punched a ref. IDIOT.

3. Anthony Allen, are you a freaking moron? Hitting the dude after he has signaled a fair catch? IDIOT. Way to cost your team for no reason.

4. Paul Kruger!!! Bonehead of the Year goes to you my man. I'm sorry, that was easily the dumbest thing I have ever seen since Leon Lett roamed the field.

I had a feeling this game would be close, and it was for several reasons
    1. Browns were a familiar divisional opponent who historically has played us tough
    2. Ravens were coming off a very emotional and phsyically demanding game against the Pats
    3. Championship teams find ways to win games like this

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That throw was weird. I actually think he could have had it had he put more loft under it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    I agree. It looks as if he had lofted towards the corner, Boldin would would have had a TD. He chose to zip it in instead.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Sometimes, the defense just makes a really good play on the ball. Do we attribute every Ed Reed pick to boneheaded throws by the other team?
    True story.

Well at least nobody can say I am not critical of Flacco :)
    Shame, because that and the missed 47 yard FG would have put the game out of reach.
    Don't forget the missed PAT. With the last Browns' drive I was worried that the missed PAT was going to send the game into OT.

Those other non-scores would have been fatal against better competition.

Yes - mistakes were made! But 3-1 after 4 games in 18 days .... I'll take it!

Blog Entries

I think if Joe had that ball back, he'd make that throw 9 times out of 10 and it would be a TD or incomplete.

I've made throws like that before where you commit to a guy and as your arm is moving forward you see the defender popping into the frame that you didn't notice before and the only thing going through your head is "fuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkk...."

Not a whole lot you can do when your arm is going forward like that. Just hope the defender has brick hands.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Flacco said in the press conference that he simply didn't see the LB until it was too late and even Mayock commented on what a great defensive scheme that particular play was.
    That's a convenient out. That ball was thrown behind the receiver and three yards short. Even if the linebacker wasn't there it never would have been completed.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    That's a convenient out. That ball was thrown behind the receiver and three yards short. Even if the linebacker wasn't there it never would have been completed.

Have you even watched the play? The linebacker came straight off the line and just ran a sprint to the corner without even covering anyone- they clearly had it schemed- and it was a great play- The DB that was on coverage had his back turned, and never saw the ball coming. If not for the dude coming off the line and making an amazing play, it most likely would have been a TD.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cbaywolf View Post
    Have you even watched the play (to alien bird)? The linebacker came straight off the line and just ran a sprint to the corner without even covering anyone- they clearly had it schemed- and it was a great play- The DB that was on coverage had his back turned, and never saw the ball coming. If not for the dude coming off the line and making an amazing play, it most likely would have been a TD.
    Don't want to get into nit-picking, but IMO it's a ball that never should have been thrown. There's no excuse for it, as you're making, and I think Flacco would love to have that one back. Bad choice by Joe, INT, all QBs make them, let's move on and not make excuses for one bad play... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 09-28-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling