Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Brandon Weeden 320 yards in the air on the road on a short week

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    They're also top 10 in points per game allowed, but I don't see anyone mentioning that. I guess
    "you are who you are" only matters when it's bad.
    25th in total defense, 28th in pass defense, tied for most rushing TDs given up in the league (this should infuriate people given how stellar the Ravens have been throughout almost their entire history against the run), 2nd most 20+ yard pass plays given up, 3rd most 40+ yard pass plays given up.

Not just one stat. It's great that they are 10th in PPG but that won't last long if they keep playing how they have been. Not with the murderers row of QBs and offenses they have coming up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm not making excuses for Pees, but any team that loses Suggs and JJ, replaces them with Kruger, McClellan, and a rookie OLB (Upshaw), is going to suffer the consequences (at least early in the season). BUT let's not forget that Weeden had his 320 yds on 52 passes (only 25 completed = 48%). The Browns only had 43 yds on 17 carries (2.5 ypc). We wouldn't even be having this conversation if Joe had thrown a TD instead of an INT, and Tucker had made that other FG... Bc
    Yup it's gonna be a work in progress with the D, and any win, ugly or otherwise, is awesome.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    They're also top 10 in points per game allowed, but I don't see anyone mentioning that. I guess
    "you are who you are" only matters when it's bad.
    Love it. It's funny how so many people have re-calibrated our offensive expectations as we adapt to a high-offense passing league, yet refuse to do so in terms of defensive rates.

When we used to win games 16-10 with 240 yards of offense, they complained that our offense was stuck in the past. Now that we are winning games in more of a shootout fashion, they complain that our defense wasn't what it was before. Wake up, folks. The days of a defense holding opposing offenses under 300 yards a game are over for virtually everyone, not just the Ravens. Last year, the Ravens were only one of THREE teams in the entire league that held their opponents to less than 300 yards/game. I would be surprised if there is more than one team this year who undercuts that 300YPG mark.

What is most important is keeping teams off the scoreboard and so far we are doing fairly well at that. Right now, even though we are 25th in yards allowed, we are 10th in scoring defense. Considering we are 4th offensively in points/game and yards/game, I still think we can't complain.

If you look at the opposing QB ratings for the four guys we've faced so far, it's hard to think we are getting lit up at all.

65.3-37 attempts-Dalton
    94.7-32 attempts-Vick
    101.2-41 attempts- Brady
    59.8-52 attempts-Weeden

Our secondary and pass rush is definitely having problems getting the defense off the field on 3rd down, but the overall numbers really aren't that poor.

Also, since his 65 QB rating in Week 1, Dalton has had passer ratings of 120+ and 130+ in the two successive weeks. We are not the dominant defense we've come to expect, but to say the sky is falling is a bit premature.

The rush defense has been progressively improving which is really nice to see.

Lets see what team won the Superbowl last year? The Giants who were ranked 27th in total defense giving up 25 points a game and 376 yards a game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...ense/year/2011

Defense has issues for sure but it doesn't mean they are a lost cause.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMan View Post
    Lets see what team won the Superbowl last year? The Giants who were ranked 27th in total defense giving up 25 points a game and 376 yards a game.

Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

I am going to give the Ravens defense a pass on last night's game due to probable fatigue issues. However, I really object to this way of thinking, because a team won with a bad defense, you don't need a good defense to win a Super Bowl. The Ravens won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at QB, so does that mean that you don't need a good QB to win? The Ravens can win by playing the way they did last night because they were playing the lowly Browns. Such an effort will not cut it against a better opponent. All Ravens fans should be concerned about how many yards the defense has given up in the first four games. To their credit, the run defense does seem to be improving, but the pass rush is still largely non-existent. Suggs can't come back soon enough.

Just think about this. Brandon freaking Weedon marched the Browns offense down the field last night on the final drive and almost tied the game. The Browns got the ball on their own 10 yard line with 1:05 remaining in the game with no time outs left, and still almost pulled off a huge comeback. That is a cause for concern.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Just think about this. Brandon freaking Weedon marched the Browns offense down the field last night on the final drive and almost tied the game. The Browns got the ball on their own 10 yard line with 1:05 remaining in the game with no time outs left, and still almost pulled off a huge comeback. That is a cause for concern.
    Every game has it's own story, and doesn't always translate to the next. Take a baseball doubleheader for instance. One team can win game #1 2 - 1, then the other can take the 2nd 15 - 3. So, the Ravens great comeback vs. the Pats did not have to translate into a blow-out of the Browns on Thursday. We likely saw an exhausted Ravens team (4 games in 18 days) playing down to their potential. Let's wait until the Chiefs game to see if there are causes for concern... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Every game has it's own story, and doesn't always translate to the next. Take a baseball doubleheader for instance. One team can win game #1 2 - 1, then the other can take the 2nd 15 - 3. So, the Ravens great comeback vs. the Pats did not have to translate into a blow-out of the Browns on Thursday. We likely saw an exhausted Ravens team (4 games in 18 days) playing down to their potential. Let's wait until the Chiefs game to see if there are causes for concern... Bc
    Agreed.

I'm still not concerned about our defense. Once Suggs return we should be fine.

FWIW, I can only speak for myself...I'll go through the thread to check, but this thread was not made and is not intended to be a complaint about why we didn't blow out the Browns or how/why we didn't beat them by a specific number of points, or as any reason why we aren't good or that we can't win the Super Bowl.

I made a very specific statement and the thread is only...ONLY about how much our pass defense has suffered and is likely to continue to suffer.

Nowhere in any of my posts (and I don't think any others in this thread specifically...if you want to address posters from other threads, you should rebut them in those threads) did I suggest that our defense sucks, or that we suck because we didn't beat the Browns by 30 points or that our Super Bowl dreams are dashed.

I have stated over, and over, and over that I personally think our offense is going to pick up that slack and that we'll be fine.

This was just a response to the "we played great QB/offense X this week" excuses and that it probably should be expected that this defense is going to give up a lot in the air. They have done a good job of not breaking on a lot of these long drives and that is to be commended. But they are not going to offer a lot of resistance yardage wise.

Basically, saying our pass defense is not good does NOT equal saying or thinking that our team isn't good enough to win the Super Bowl.

I am going to give the Ravens defense a pass on last night's game due to probable fatigue issues. However, I really object to this way of thinking, because a team won with a bad defense, you don't need a good defense to win a Super Bowl. The Ravens won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at QB, so does that mean that you don't need a good QB to win? The Ravens can win by playing the way they did last night because they were playing the lowly Browns. Such an effort will not cut it against a better opponent. All Ravens fans should be concerned about how many yards the defense has given up in the first four games. To their credit, the run defense does seem to be improving, but the pass rush is still largely non-existent. Suggs can't come back soon enough.

Weeden played pretty damn good I thought despite some pressure, he made some throws, really good ones, he made some bad ones and got lucky too but he may turn out to be pretty good, as for driving down the field, he drove them 57 yards and then took a hail mary shot, they got 15 more after Kruger was penalized so they really didn't just drive down the field, that is just BS.

My point about the Giants was obviously lost on you. They had that ranked defense that looked so bad most of the year but came together at the end, they weren't lights out but they got better,(look at what they did from week 15 through the playoffs) that was my point when I said the defense for Baltimore is not a lost cause.

Weeden played pretty damn good I thought despite some pressure, he made some throws, really good ones, he made some bad ones and got lucky too but he may turn out to be pretty good, as for driving down the field, he drove them 57 yards and then took a hail mary shot, they got 15 more after Kruger was penalized so they really didn't just drive down the field, that is just BS.

My point about the Giants was obviously lost on you. They had that ranked defense that looked so bad most of the year but came together at the end, they weren't lights out but they got better,(look at what they did from week 15 through the playoffs) that was my point when I said the defense for Baltimore is not a lost cause.
    The Browns got the ball on their 10 yard line with 1:05 left in the game and no time outs remaining, and still got to the Ravens 33 yard line to take a shot into the end zone. A pass play from the 33 into the end zone is not a hail mary shot. Plenty of teams score from that range. If a rookie QB like Weeden with below average WRs can do that, then we should be concerned. We just saw Brady march the ball down the field late in the game on Sunday night for a score, and saw Vick do the same thing in the Eagles game. Let's see what happens when Suggs comes back, but a pourous defense is becoming a pattern. After a while, you are what your stats say you are.

I'm still not concerned about our defense. Once Suggs return we should be fine.

The Browns got the ball on their 10 yard line with 1:05 left in the game and no time outs remaining, and still got to the Ravens 33 yard line to take a shot into the end zone. A pass play from the 33 into the end zone is not a hail mary shot. Plenty of teams score from that range. If a rookie QB like Weeden with below average WRs can do that, then we should be concerned. We just saw Brady march the ball down the field late in the game on Sunday night for a score, and saw Vick do the same thing in the Eagles game. Let's see what happens when Suggs comes back, but a pourous defense is becoming a pattern. After a while, you are what your stats say you are.
    they were at the 33 yard line with 23 seconds left and no TOs. Enough time to maybe dump one over the middle and spike it to stop it and then take one more shot or air it out to the endzone a few times, at the 33 yard line with 7 or 8 defensive backs waiting for it in the endzone is a hailmary for the most part, they were unlikely to succeed at that point. And they were totally playing the long ball willing to give up the underneath stuff on that drive for time and to get a shorter field if neccesary as they got closer to the goal. It was not ats bad as you make it out to be.

Does the defense need work and have issues? Absolutley and I am worried about them too but at week 4 it can get better regardless of what some rookie QB did or did not do and this one played pretty well. And the Giants of last year show that as an example, doesn't meant it will happen, I am simply saying it can I am not going to lose sleep over this, if you want to, go ahead