Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Re: Brandon Weeden 320 yards in the air on the road on a short week

Probably the most alarming thing to me this year is the missed assignments. How many times have we seen guys just unaccounted for last night? And at very crucial times. How are QB's able to still find a wide open WR or TE underneath when we drop back 7 guys? That's what is very alarming to me. It's just odd, we still have good personnel on D. Sure, we lack in certain areas (pass rush obviously, LB coverage, etc.) but it's horrible to watch. I know it's still early, but Pees just doesn't fit here. They walked right back into the mess that was Greg Mattison. Except even Mattison kept the defense more disciplined in coverage and in 09 Suggs was very ineffective. Yes, I'm worried about the defense. Even if Suggs gets back soon, there's no telling if he'll even make a big difference this year. I like the offense and I think it's their time, they have the ability to get us deep into the playoffs. I realize the D is naturally going to take a big drop off without Suggs and we do play some elite offenses this year, but last night? We really can't get to the QB with just four guys, I get that, but it's the constant thrashing we've taken in the back end and the constant missed assignments that truly worry me. I do believe as well that Pees uses reckless blitzes at the wrong time. The whole D is just off, it's just not right.

Re: Brandon Weeden 320 yards in the air on the road on a short week

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    You're not satisfied yet you feel the need to start a thread like this and start cherry picking? Okay. Got it. What were you expecting? A 4 touchdown blowout? Under the circumstances the Ravens did enough to win the game. Yes their pass defense is a major area of concern which I believe will work itself out over the course of the season. It's a marathon and not a sprint. Most of knew this defense would take a step back with a new DC and no Suggs. 3-1 under these circumstances is huge.
    WHO SAID I WASN'T SATISFIED?

Geez...some of you need to slow down and read the entire post before hitting the quote button.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah, no need to worry about our pass defense...
    It's not the pass defense as much as it is a complete lack of a pass rush (even when the Ravens blitzed). Weeden had plenty of time to throw and clear passing lanes on an overwhelming number of plays last night. There are a lot of bad QBs that will look really good if they have that much time to throw the ball.

4. Re: Brandon Weeden 320 yards in the air on the road on a short week

We need Suggs back ASAP, that's for sure. It'd be nice to get a good look at Adrian Hamilton in a pass rushing role. I'm just interested to see what he could do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    WHO SAID I WASN'T SATISFIED?

Geez...some of you need to slow down and read the entire post before hitting the quote button.
    Regardless, you shouldn't be satisfied, nor should anyone else. The performance of this defense so far is completely unacceptable - and it's not just because of last night. They got shredded by Brady and they made Mike Vick look like Steve Young.

It's great to be 3-1 but for anyone to be "satisfied" with how the defense has played is really a joke IMO. I can guarantee you that some of those proud Ravens defensive players aren't, so why should we be?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Regardless, you shouldn't be satisfied, nor should anyone else. The performance of this defense so far is completely unacceptable - and it's not just because of last night. They got shredded by Brady and they made Mike Vick look like Steve Young.

It's great to be 3-1 but for anyone to be "satisfied" with how the defense has played is really a joke IMO. I can guarantee you that some of those proud Ravens defensive players aren't, so why should we be?
    I have not seen what post that indicates anyone satisfied with the defense. Where are you getting this? We are all satsified with being 3-1 and not necessarily the defense. There's the difference.

Blog Entries

I'm not making excuses for Pees, but any team that loses Suggs and JJ, replaces them with Kruger, McClellan, and a rookie OLB (Upshaw), is going to suffer the consequences (at least early in the season). BUT let's not forget that Weeden had his 320 yds on 52 passes (only 25 completed = 48%). The Browns only had 43 yds on 17 carries (2.5 ypc). We wouldn't even be having this conversation if Joe had thrown a TD instead of an INT, and Tucker had made that other FG... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post

After 4 weeks of the season, you are who you are, and the statistical ranking of the defense, the 27th ranking or whatever it was, that looks like it is closer to being correct than anyone here or on the team is going to want to admit.
    They're also top 10 in points per game allowed, but I don't see anyone mentioning that. I guess
    "you are who you are" only matters when it's bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I have not seen what post that indicates anyone satisfied with the defense. Where are you getting this? We are all satsified with being 3-1 and not necessarily the defense. There's the difference.
    I didn't say anyone said they were. Just a general statement because of the vibe I get from some posts here and other forums I go to. Some sense of "everything is ok" just because they are 3-1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    They're also top 10 in points per game allowed, but I don't see anyone mentioning that. I guess
    25th in total defense, 28th in pass defense, tied for most rushing TDs given up in the league (this should infuriate people given how stellar the Ravens have been throughout almost their entire history against the run), 2nd most 20+ yard pass plays given up, 3rd most 40+ yard pass plays given up.

Not just one stat. It's great that they are 10th in PPG but that won't last long if they keep playing how they have been. Not with the murderers row of QBs and offenses they have coming up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm not making excuses for Pees, but any team that loses Suggs and JJ, replaces them with Kruger, McClellan, and a rookie OLB (Upshaw), is going to suffer the consequences (at least early in the season). BUT let's not forget that Weeden had his 320 yds on 52 passes (only 25 completed = 48%). The Browns only had 43 yds on 17 carries (2.5 ypc). We wouldn't even be having this conversation if Joe had thrown a TD instead of an INT, and Tucker had made that other FG... Bc
    Yup it's gonna be a work in progress with the D, and any win, ugly or otherwise, is awesome.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Love it. It's funny how so many people have re-calibrated our offensive expectations as we adapt to a high-offense passing league, yet refuse to do so in terms of defensive rates.

When we used to win games 16-10 with 240 yards of offense, they complained that our offense was stuck in the past. Now that we are winning games in more of a shootout fashion, they complain that our defense wasn't what it was before. Wake up, folks. The days of a defense holding opposing offenses under 300 yards a game are over for virtually everyone, not just the Ravens. Last year, the Ravens were only one of THREE teams in the entire league that held their opponents to less than 300 yards/game. I would be surprised if there is more than one team this year who undercuts that 300YPG mark.

What is most important is keeping teams off the scoreboard and so far we are doing fairly well at that. Right now, even though we are 25th in yards allowed, we are 10th in scoring defense. Considering we are 4th offensively in points/game and yards/game, I still think we can't complain.

If you look at the opposing QB ratings for the four guys we've faced so far, it's hard to think we are getting lit up at all.

65.3-37 attempts-Dalton
    94.7-32 attempts-Vick
    101.2-41 attempts- Brady
    59.8-52 attempts-Weeden

Our secondary and pass rush is definitely having problems getting the defense off the field on 3rd down, but the overall numbers really aren't that poor.

Also, since his 65 QB rating in Week 1, Dalton has had passer ratings of 120+ and 130+ in the two successive weeks. We are not the dominant defense we've come to expect, but to say the sky is falling is a bit premature.