Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries

Re: Brandon Weeden 320 yards in the air on the road on a short week

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMan View Post
    they were at the 33 yard line with 23 seconds left and no TOs. Enough time to maybe dump one over the middle and spike it to stop it and then take one more shot or air it out to the endzone a few times, at the 33 yard line with 7 or 8 defensive backs waiting for it in the endzone is a hailmary for the most part, they were unlikely to succeed at that point. And they were totally playing the long ball willing to give up the underneath stuff on that drive for time and to get a shorter field if neccesary as they got closer to the goal. It was not ats bad as you make it out to be.

Does the defense need work and have issues? Absolutley and I am worried about them too but at week 4 it can get better regardless of what some rookie QB did or did not do and this one played pretty well. And the Giants of last year show that as an example, doesn't meant it will happen, I am simply saying it can I am not going to lose sleep over this, if you want to, go ahead
    The Giants had a number of key players injured on defense early in the season last year. They pulled it together late in the season, because those players came back late in the year. The Ravens have one key player injured on defense. I am hopefull that Suggs returning can have a transformative effect on the defense, but we'll see. The Ravens run defense is improving, so that is encouraging. They showed Suggs on the sidelines last night. It looks like he has gained a lot of weight. I wouldn't be surprised if Suggs weighs 275-280 right now.

Didn't that terrible pass defense put 7 points on the board helping the offense win the game?

The Ravens were sitting back in zone coverage giving up the underneath stuff, especially in the 4th quarter. Its a bend but not break defense. They gave up a lot of yards, but they made the pick and put up some points. I don't see anything wrong there.

If all you do is rush and apply pressure you give up the big play. The one time late that the Ravens rushed Cleveland should have had a touchdown, if not for their stone handed receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The Giants had a number of key players injured on defense early in the season last year. They pulled it together late in the season, because those players came back late in the year. The Ravens have one key player injured on defense. I am hopefull that Suggs returning can have a transformative effect on the defense, but we'll see. The Ravens run defense is improving, so that is encouraging. They showed Suggs on the sidelines last night. It looks like he has gained a lot of weight. I wouldn't be surprised if Suggs weighs 275-280 right now.
    Did anyone else think Suggs looked like he had gained weight? I did not so I just think you are making stuff up now. Honestly I should stop with you but wha the hell.

I know that they had key people injured, so do the Ravens, only one but he could make a difference and I am not saying that with Suggs they jump up to the best defens in the NFL but we do not know the impact he may or may not have yet. Also some of the otehr players like Ellerbee, Mclellan, Upshaw seem to be improving, yes, players can get better over the course of a season, hopefully they continue to do so but please keep finding reasons for the defense to suck the whole year since you already seem to know that is the case.

Yards are meaningless for the most part, you need to score, the Ravens got 430 and scored the same amount of points, the difference being the pick 6. (Care to guess who had the #1 defense statiscally in 2000? Hint, it was not Baltimore but yards are still used as the main measuring stick and they should not be.) What is of more concern are the penalties that killed drives or extended them for the Browns, that stuff needs to stop, the Oline played like crap, they missed a FG, botched an XP, Flacco threw a pick in the endzone, they killed themselves with the aforementioned penalties and they still won. That is my definition of an elite team, not one that constantly beats the crap out of every team because on paper they should. An elite team is one that faces adversity like emotional games that lead to flat play, turnovers, penalties, weather, a desperate team that they are better than figthing them tooth and nail while they founder a bit, and yet they still win.

The defense for the last time is an issue but it is not a lost cause and those of you who have already given up on it, look foolish. One thing to be critical of their play, another to not note some of the improvements or take into account who they are playing, where, and what conditions. Not making excuses they have played bad and need to get better, Ravenwoodlawn is right in that as are all but they stopped Brady when they had to and Cleveland did not drive the field and score last night, almost doesn't count.

The sad fact is that they D may not be the one we all remember but that doesn't mean that this is a bad team as woodlawn says as well or that the D can't be good just maybe not great at this time. Until Suggs comes back I will wait and see and see if they can continue to improve at all from Pees all the way down to Williams. Some of you want to give up on them, go ahead, you know who you are, the rest of you have every right to criticize them as well as point out positives when you can, you have not given up on them and you know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I am hopefull that Suggs returning can have a transformative effect on the defense, but we'll see. The Ravens run defense is improving, so that is encouraging. They showed Suggs on the sidelines last night. It looks like he has gained a lot of weight. I wouldn't be surprised if Suggs weighs 275-280 right now.
    This is where I think people should temper their expectations just a bit. I'll be thrilled when Suggs comes back, but ...no one should expect he'll be able to pick up right where he left off from last season. Will the achilles be 100%? What about his over all conditioning, particularly if he has indeed gained significant weight? And the inevitable rust he'll need to shake off?

I suspect the biggest impact Suggs' return will have in the short term is his experience and defensive knowledge compared to the younger guys. And that's going to be valuable. But I'm not holding my breath for him to return to DPOY form.

If Suggs is healthy his return will help this defense, but he's not going to be a magic bullet. Other improvements have to be made, whether by Pees' scheming, player execution, or ideally, both.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    If Greg little could catch we could easily have lost that game.
    if little played for the ravens we would be skewering him. that guy had an aful night but i don;t think that is unique to his normal play.