Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Brandon Weeden 320 yards in the air on the road on a short week

I thought they were playing run first.....and yes, we miss Terrell Suggs.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

If Greg little could catch we could easily have lost that game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Lot of good that 320 did him.
    Other teams don't have Greg Little who seems to have hands of stone.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    If Greg little could catch we could easily have lost that game.
    i had him last year in fantasy, dude CANT catch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    How many TD's did Weeden throw for? Did he win?

Bend but don't break...when are people going to realize that until we get Suggs back?
    Bend but don't break is what we are seeing.

Lets not forget the BRowns have a decent offensive line...

But yes our pass D is not good.

Blog Entries

If it weren't for all of the drops and yes I'll say it, some of the penalties, this could've been really bad. I give Weeden credit, he stayed calm and kept hitting the crossing routes. Also Cribbs going out. He looked good, but his receivers didn't help him.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Talk about cherry picking one statistic.

If you throw the ball 52 times and DON'T pass for 300 yards, that's a much bigger story. I'm fairly sure if the Ravens go every game the rest of the year allowing 320 yards on 52 passes with 0 TDs and 1 INT returned for a TD, we will be 15-1 to finish the seasons. Our defense surrendered 16 points and scored 7. Any way you slice it, even if they gave up 500 yards, that's a good end result for a defense on 3 days rest.

It seems like anytime we play a non-elite team, nobody is ever satisfied. If we win by 24, people will say it was expected. If we win by 13, people will say that we lack the killer instinct. If we win by 3-7, people will say we have no chance of making a Super Bowl and will point out a dozen factually-skewed points.

Good post. It was actually their DL that kept it close.....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

I told my dad at the game last night that this is the first time in the decade I've had season tickets that when the Ravens have a lead, I have almost no confidence in their ability to hold that lead. You can talk how they won, how they only gave up one TD, etc, etc, but it should be painfully clear to anyone with two eyes and a brain that there is something very, very wrong with this defense.

What is that in particular? I don't know. I know that Suggs is a huge part of the defense but I can't believe that he makes so much of a difference that a top 3 defense becomes unable to stop anyone, just because he is gone. I also realize that the guys they have on the DL right now are sloths when it comes to rushing the passer, outside of the occasional time Ngata breaks through. Is it the scheme? Is it age?

I really don't want to see people saying the defense was "good". Just stop it. Take off the purple glasses and put down the purple kool-aid. If you want to say they only gave up 15 points and completely disregard things like the fact that they let the Browns out of a 2nd and 36 hole, nearly gave up a 90 yard game tying drive, had the Browns mediocre receivers running free all night, and still haven't stopped anyone in short yardage situations, then you are as delusional as my Patriots fan friend from another board who said the Patriots defense played well on Sunday night. They were horrible against the Eagles, they were horrible against the Patriots, and they were horrible again last night.

After 4 weeks of the season, you are who you are, and the statistical ranking of the defense, the 27th ranking or whatever it was, that looks like it is closer to being correct than anyone here or on the team is going to want to admit.

Does anyone find it ridiculous that last night Webb was the only CB that actually pressed? There were times that Jimmy and Cary played up on receivers but they just turned with them on the snap without even an attempt to jam. Webb was the only one who actually pressed off the line of scrimmage and he only did it a few times. I just find it absurd that we have two big CB's along with a smaller, faster corner and the smaller corner is the only one of the three doing any pressing at all.

As far as the pass rush goes, I don't think it's the lack of blitzing that is the problem. IMO the problem is there is no deception of where the blitz is coming from or what kind of coverage they're in. They show their blitzes well before the snap (sometimes several seconds before it). In the NFL even ordinary QB's can look good if they know the defensive coverages and where any potential pressure might be coming from. I also have an issue with rushing 3 and dropping 8 on a frequent basis like they did on the last drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think I'm necessarily cherry picking one statistic. You can watch the game and see a total lack of pass rush, blown coverages, bad DC calls, and some guys just getting beat one on one.

We have 4 weeks of evidence that our pass defense is not good. At some point, people need need to accept that fact.

BTW, nobody said I wasn't satisfied...nowhere in any of my posts have I said the team wasn't good, or that I don't think we can win. In fact, I have posted at least 3-4 times in this and the game thread that we are still going to be a good team because our offense is going to be really good...another 430+ yards is going to keep our offense in the top 2-3 after 4 weeks...best I think we have ever been at this point and something to be really, really proud of. For those complaining about the score...they have no idea how tough division games are simply due to familiarity. Not only do the Browns play us tough, but shit, the play the Steelers and Bengals just as tough annually
    My apologies. I was piggybacking on your stat to show how certain people can't ever enjoy prosperity. I wasn't specifically targeting you by saying you were negative about this team.

I don't think the Raven defense looked great at all, but it wasn't as terrible as some people seem to indicate it was. The Browns has 12 possessions and had 7 punts, 1 pick-six, 1TD, and 3 FGs. If Phil Dawson wasn't superman last night, we probably wouldn't be reacting/panicking in the way we are presently.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think I'm necessarily cherry picking one statistic. You can watch the game and see a total lack of pass rush, blown coverages, bad DC calls, and some guys just getting beat one on one.

We have 4 weeks of evidence that our pass defense is not good. At some point, people need need to accept that fact.

BTW, nobody said I wasn't satisfied...nowhere in any of my posts have I said the team wasn't good, or that I don't think we can win. In fact, I have posted at least 3-4 times in this and the game thread that we are still going to be a good team because our offense is going to be really good...another 430+ yards is going to keep our offense in the top 2-3 after 4 weeks...best I think we have ever been at this point and something to be really, really proud of. For those complaining about the score...they have no idea how tough division games are simply due to familiarity. Not only do the Browns play us tough, but shit, the play the Steelers and Bengals just as tough annually
    You're not satisfied yet you feel the need to start a thread like this and start cherry picking? Okay. Got it. What were you expecting? A 4 touchdown blowout? Under the circumstances the Ravens did enough to win the game. Yes their pass defense is a major area of concern which I believe will work itself out over the course of the season. It's a marathon and not a sprint. Most of knew this defense would take a step back with a new DC and no Suggs. 3-1 under these circumstances is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Flacco threw 2-3 balls that could have been pick 6'd as well..
    I didn't really see any... I thought Flacco played brilliantly except for the end zone INT. Which was an astonishingly good play by the defense. That was an Ed Reed like play by the linebacker. I saw exactly what Flacco saw there, and when that linebacker wheeled around and made that grab, I was kind of shocked myself. I think most QBs would have made that same INT right there. It looked dumber than it was, in my opinion.

Other than that, it was a fantastic game. Most of his incompletions were throwaways to avoid a sack, or just simply great coverage by the defense that made a catchable ball too tough to get for the target. Or Pitta falling down when he should have been able to get to a ball.

Flacco's completion percentage will never be spectacular when he has to keep throwing the ball away because the routes take too long to develop, the receivers aren't open, and the pass rush has blown completely by the o line in 2 seconds or less. We have to change the schemes to allow quicker developing routes and HELP the receivers get that separation, and we have to improve the O line play and reduce the bone headed penalties like illegal formation, holding, and FALSE STARTS (ugh!).