Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Brandon Weeden 320 yards in the air on the road on a short week

Yeah but they only had 43 yards rushing. For a team whose game plan was to come in and run the ball and hope to keep it close.

They kept it close but not how they wanted.

On a different day, any of 3-4 of those pinball tipped passes would have been INTs.

Anyway, yeah, the pass D could be a lot better. But I thought they did OK playing overall situational football as a defense, and as a team. This was always going to be a tall order; only the second team ever to win a Thurs game after a Sunday nighter, and only the second team in NFL history to play 4 in 18 days. Something to consider.

Let's face it; this is Joe's team now. It may still be Ray's defense, but it's Joe's team. If the O doesn't get it done, the D is gonna have a hard time trying to make up the slack, though having said that, the winning margin was provided by a pick 6 on a night where the offense / special teams couldn't quite finish off the job.

Now they have 10 days off. Should be loaded for bear at Arrowhead. If I had to bet the house I'd say the Ravens emerge from that one 4-1. Happy happy! Night ever'body.

Blog Entries
    D makes it kind of scary.

Kruger and Ngata had some nice pressures and Kruger had one sack, but it is far too inconsistent.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

This isn't a "throw in the towel" thread.

I still think we are a very good team that will be there at the end.

This was more of a thread to show those that continue to excuse the opponent QB numbers as "well we played great QB X, or we played good offense Y" just isn't really an excuse.

This team has serious issues and we will be allowing a ton of yards all year and will be the epitome of "bend but don't break" all year.

Luckily, our offense looks to be able to pick up the slack so it's not like we aren't a good team.

But it's time for us to realize and accept that this defense is going to be more towards the middle of the pack until/unless Suggs not only comes back, but is close to the player he was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    Greg Mattison D 2.0
    I completely disagree with this. Dean Pees seems to have no problem blitzing. If anything he has way too many unnecessarily risky safety and corner blitzes. My issue with them is that he seems to use them at the wrong times. But honestly, without Terrell Suggs, we can't get pressure without the blitz (and often even with it).

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    It's the pass rush. It's non-existent. That, and our LB's are lost in coverage too often.

I will say though, the Browns could have turned it over a lot more than they did, there were quite a few lucky bounces, etc. Some nights it's just good to escape with the W.
    Flacco threw 2-3 balls that could have been pick 6'd as well..

Ugly freaking game.. glad it's over.

I would say I hope it gets better after this mini-bye week, but after watching Kruger and Upshaw get tossed around most of the night, I have to think this pass rush isn't getting any better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    T
    This team has serious issues and we will be allowing a ton of yards all year and will be the epitome of "bend but don't break" all year.
    No question about it. Suggs' absence is painfully obvious. Cary is still getting lit up, but hopefully the pick 6 will give somebody a moment's worry about picking on him in the coming weeks. Blitzes still aren't getting home, and even when they do, even a rookie is still able to find the open guy. things definitely could be much better regarding the pass D for sure. I do however think Pees is an excellent DC and the overall D talent is still very good, and he will find a way to force opponents to deal with the teeth of our D. We still can't be run on, we still have Webb and Reed; Pollard is a killer out there; Smith is a wildcard you want to avoid for the most part, so it mostly comes down to Cary and the old guys at LB getting beat in the pass game. Can Pees game-plan to minimize that, or is that going to be the story all year? I don't know, but I have faith they'll find a way to tighten it up.

PS - having said that, bear in mind I'm pretty drunk

Quote Originally Posted by acisking View Post
    I completely disagree with this. Dean Pees seems to have no problem blitzing. If anything he has way too many unnecessarily risky safety and corner blitzes. My issue with them is that he seems to use them at the wrong times. But honestly, without Terrell Suggs, we can't get pressure without the blitz (and often even with it).

Luckily they worked for us twice tonight, but I have no use...none for DC's who have call those all out, zero coverage blitzes. This isn't 1985...smart QB's...or even QB's that have any type of brain can easily exploit those defenses...especially when you don't disguise it. QB's in today's NFL get rid of the ball WAY too quickly.

Talk about cherry picking one statistic.

If you throw the ball 52 times and DON'T pass for 300 yards, that's a much bigger story. I'm fairly sure if the Ravens go every game the rest of the year allowing 320 yards on 52 passes with 0 TDs and 1 INT returned for a TD, we will be 15-1 to finish the seasons. Our defense surrendered 16 points and scored 7. Any way you slice it, even if they gave up 500 yards, that's a good end result for a defense on 3 days rest.

It seems like anytime we play a non-elite team, nobody is ever satisfied. If we win by 24, people will say it was expected. If we win by 13, people will say that we lack the killer instinct. If we win by 3-7, people will say we have no chance of making a Super Bowl and will point out a dozen factually-skewed points.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Talk about cherry picking one statistic.

If you throw the ball 52 times and DON'T pass for 300 yards, that's a much bigger story. I'm fairly sure if the Ravens go every game the rest of the year allowing 320 yards on 52 passes with 0 TDs and 1 INT returned for a TD, we will be 15-1 to finish the seasons. Our defense surrendered 16 points and scored 7. Any way you slice it, even if they gave up 500 yards, that's a good end result for a defense on 3 days rest.

It seems like anytime we play a non-elite team, nobody is ever satisfied. If we win by 24, people will say it was expected. If we win by 13, people will say that we lack the killer instinct. If we win by 3-7, people will say we have no chance of making a Super Bowl and will point out a dozen factually-skewed points.
    I don't think I'm necessarily cherry picking one statistic. You can watch the game and see a total lack of pass rush, blown coverages, bad DC calls, and some guys just getting beat one on one.

We have 4 weeks of evidence that our pass defense is not good. At some point, people need need to accept that fact.

BTW, nobody said I wasn't satisfied...nowhere in any of my posts have I said the team wasn't good, or that I don't think we can win. In fact, I have posted at least 3-4 times in this and the game thread that we are still going to be a good team because our offense is going to be really good...another 430+ yards is going to keep our offense in the top 2-3 after 4 weeks...best I think we have ever been at this point and something to be really, really proud of. For those complaining about the score...they have no idea how tough division games are simply due to familiarity. Not only do the Browns play us tough, but shit, the play the Steelers and Bengals just as tough annually

I totally agree that Pees' zero coverage blitzes and corner blitzes are dangerous and haven't been that effective. I only just wanted to point out that 1) we can't get pressure without the blitz and 2) Pees has the opposite of the super conservative Mattison approach (he sends reckless blitzes).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acisking View Post
    I totally agree that Pees' zero coverage blitzes and corner blitzes are dangerous and haven't been that effective. I only just wanted to point out that 1) we can't get pressure without the blitz and 2) Pees has the opposite of the super conservative Mattison approach (he sends reckless blitzes).
    Truth. Against the Pats how often did Webb blitz? It's almost like he uses Webb to make up for no Suggs. the OLB's aren't giving us a hell of a lot, and that's with as many as three 3d rounders (if you count Kindle, who I am not sure has even played) manning those slots.

The thing I want to see more of is disguise at the LOS. No reason this personnel can't do a better job of disguising its intentions. You don't need a lot of diversity in terms of stunts, twists, blitzes, etc., you just need to keep the other team from figuring out in advance when a particular one of those is coming. That's all.

The team who can give you the most looks is going to succeed, in an environment where everybody has the same basic plays.

12. Re: Brandon Weeden 320 yards in the air on the road on a short week

Who is this Brandon Weeden? I thought #3 was Derek Anderson back there?

Def is inconsistent right now. Pees is trying to make up for lack of a pass rush and 37 yr old LB trying to cover in space.... Not an easy task. 3-1 and that is all tht matters 1/4 of he way thru the season.