Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Anyone still want to call Oher a good left tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    No one cares about any of that if he can't get the job done. I'd rather have a lazy slob playing the position if he can keep guys off of Flacco.
    Lazy slobs (I'll grant McKinnie that title, relative to Oher. I don't know enough about Bobbie Williams to call him anything but old) became a no go once Cam accepted the no huddle. I assume that a big piece of the youth movt. of Osemele, Oher, and Harewood (that last one still blows my mind - they hid his reps @ G better than Bowie hid Machado taking groundballs @ 3rd base!) was to field an OL that didn't need oxygen after a series or 2 of no huddle. Oher's false starts were as clear a sign that the regular refs were back as any. I still think some of his FS flags are the result of a very fast 1st step. The holding calls are now back to a predictable range after 3 games in which OL and DBs especially had to test to see what they could get from replacement refs. Leach was there to turn him away from a conduct call, but he had poise issues last night as did Kruger later. They wanted to sandwich a green Harewood between Birk and Oher ( vs. Osemele) and use Yanda to school/help KO.

Oher's no long term solution @ LT and I think the Ravens will offer him RT $ only, I doubt anyone else will promise him much more. But, I don't think Oher played himself out of starting LT with his game last night. Williams and McKinnie are still insurance policies at this point, or they'd be seeing more game snaps.
    Last edited by Tucker: M&T Sec 527; 09-28-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Knee jerk alert! Look, it was one bad game for Oher and the rest of the line. If it becomes a trend, then this thread will be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Frankly, I think a lot of it was a result of 4 games in essentially 2 weeks.
    Yeah, the four games in seventeen days is probably unprecedented in the modern NFL. It's a insanely ridiculous stretch that the Ravens got through with only one loss. I can give them a pass on some 4th game messiness.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Knee jerk alert! Look, it was one bad game for Oher and the rest of the line. If it becomes a trend, then this thread will be more appropriate.
    LOL, its a freaking PATTERN now. This isn't his first rodeo at LT. He was so lackluster at the position he was replaced by McKinnie. Some people have short memories. Penalties and getting beat. Same shit, different year. That's a "trend" i don't care to repeat. He was awful against Philly, that's being bad in two of four games so far this year. What do you call that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens420 View Post
    LOL, its a freaking PATTERN now. This isn't his first rodeo at LT. He was so lackluster at the position he was replaced by McKinnie. Some people have short memories. Penalties and getting beat. Same shit, different year. That's a "trend" i don't care to repeat. He was awful against Philly, that's being bad in two of four games so far this year. What do you call that?
    Look the performance last night was subpar by the line as a whole IMO. I am gonna take the Oher outburst as a sign of being flat out tired physically and frustrated. 4 games in 17 days takes a lot out of a team, especially the guys in the trenches.

At this point its a performance that your just gonna have to deal with and time will tell. McKinnie is not a better option to start or he would be out there. If he is so much in "Harbaugh's doghouse" that he is sitting him simply based on that he would not be on this squad. There are other guys they could have brought in to ride the bench. Thats not to say that McKinnies showing up out of shape, attitude ect is not a factor in him sitting on the bench, I am simply saying that Oher is likely playing at the same level or better than you could expect from McKinnie.

Its funny you bring up short memories. I seem to remember McKinnie getting beat like a drum many times last season. I also recall many games we bemoaned his performances. Do the Ravens have a real good LT....no. But fact is that great LT are hard to come by. That would be why they go in the first 10 picks in the draft. They are also expensive and with needing to sign Rice, Webb, Flacco etc...its not an option and likely wont be this offseason either. I think you can a SB with Oher at LT. He (Oher) is not elite, he is certainly not inept either. He is middle of the road.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens420 View Post
    First, he did not lose his job to McKinnie last year because of "lackluster performance". We were headed into the season with a huge hole at RT, once it became obvious in training camp that Oniel Cousins, Rookie Jah Ried, and FA Mark Levoir weren't going to cut it. His shift back to RT (the position he played his rookie year) was to fill a need. Oher had shown he could play RT, and there was a reasonable-quality FA LT available on the market.

Second, while he's been on the team for a while, he's only played the LT position for a little more than ONE full season (22 games total, thru last night). I'd argue that most LTs, even the best ones, probably don't reach the full peak of their abilities 4 games into their 2nd season as a starter.

I think people just got spoiled having JO anchor that spot for so many years, we never had to worry about it. Right now, Oher is a functional LT. There's still much room for improvement. How foolish would it be for the team not to find out if he can become a good LT, or projects to "merely" be a good RT, BEFORE we have to decide whether to resign (or franchise) him when he hits free agency?

Fortunately for all of us, this team actually takes the time to develop the players it's going to need to help them win in the future.
    Last edited by MarkS; 09-28-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Blog Entries

If there is one thing I've learned from playing ball was that the guy thats talented naturally and is lazy because of it? Are the guys that end up either A. Getting hurt because of being lazy or B. Getting a team mate hurt because their lazy. While Oher is not great the guys never gives up, he never gave up when he was piss poor, he never gave up when he was high school, he never gave up in college the kid works harder and harder then anybody else because he always has something to prove, I'll take a guy like over piece of shit like Mckinney any fuckn day of the week because when it comes down to it Oher will make sure he gets hurt before Joe will.