Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preseason fee

Re: Preseason fee

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Would you prefer that they charge you 25% more for the regular season games and give you the pre-season for free? They would get the same money and you wouldn't be charged anything for these games.
    Yes. I would prefer that they pro-rate the fees of the two pre-season tix over the other home games and give you the pre-season games for free.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Yes. I would prefer that they pro-rate the fees of the two pre-season tix over the other home games and give you the pre-season games for free.
    So you would pay the same but you would feel better about it?

This way is better, it makes it easier to sell the pre-season tickets for some value, if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGlennDale View Post
    Like Greg said, you're not really getting anything for free then.

I just hate paying full face on two games that I'd rather watch from the recliner. If full face was $0.00 then I wouldn't feel like I have to go.

I'm bitter about the suck weather and the slop and slather that was on the field Sunday ... oh yeah ... Monday morning ... hellish.

Wink Re: Preseason fee

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This way is better, it makes it easier to sell the pre-season tickets for some value, if you wish.
    Disagree. If my $70 seats were upped to $75 for regular season and lowered to $40 for the exhibitions, I'd still be spending the same (if my math is correct). But if I were to try to sell my tickets, the $40 would be closer to the market value, and the face value should always be attainable for Ravens games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerobe View Post
    None of us are too happy to pay full price for these pre-season games, but as was said, if the interest is there why not allow the pre-season game tickets to be sold to the public? I'll bet that they would make nearly as much money from non season ticket holders.
    No way! Before Irsay stuck us with the 10 pack in IIRC 1975, attendance at Colts exhibitions was terrible - like 15,000. And this included the Rosenbloom era when there were 56 straight regular season sell-outs. Another indicator is the annual Ravens-Redskins scrimmage. A nominal $12 fee was charged ($7 for children), and only 25,000 showed up, close to half were Redskin fans. (At Landover the year before, 48,000 showed up when it was free.) If maybe 15,000 Ravens fans show up for a meaningless scrimmage at $12/$7, how many would buy tickets at $70-$100 for a meaningless preseason game?

Not that I agree with the practice, but the owners in this city have to make exhibitions mandatory for season ticket holders to make money off them.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

The solution is to charge half price for the preseason tickets and either the owner, players or other staff needs to eat the other half. Of course that won't happen because we all got in line day one to buy the PSl and buy the season tickets every year. It is as much our fault as the Ravens but when it comes down to it, the preseason is just half the product as a regular season.

Ownership finds the rational to charge twice as much for playoff games so why not charge half as much for preseson games? Seems to make sense to me but as is true across the board in pro sports, the fan always is forced to open the wallet not the team.

The team doesn't have a wallet if you do not go to games. When you're favorite team signs a new player, it is you who are paying his salary.. Any change int eh way things are done would NOT be kind to the fans unless salaries and stadium expenses go down. That seesm reall likely right about now...

I have the solution to this problem....................

make pre-season 2 games and regular season 18 weeks instead of 16.

People wouldn't complain as much for 2 games full price for pre season, and mo0re meaningful games are played earlier

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Disagree. If my $70 seats were upped to $75 for regular season and lowered to $40 for the exhibitions, I'd still be spending the same (if my math is correct). But if I were to try to sell my tickets, the $40 would be closer to the market value, and the face value should always be attainable for Ravens games.
    I don't get it. I think it would be easier to sell your $70 ticket for $50 than a $40 for $40. Having worked retail I think the psychology of the buyer is with me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Ownership finds the rational to charge twice as much for playoff games so why not charge half as much for preseson games? Seems to make sense to me but as is true across the board in pro sports, the fan always is forced to open the wallet not the team.
    The Ravens or any owner in the NFL do not set the playoff ticket prices, this is done by the league. The playoffs are operated by the NFL, not the teams.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PARavensJeff View Post
    The Ravens or any owner in the NFL do not set the playoff ticket prices, this is done by the league. The playoffs are operated by the NFL, not the teams.
    Yes you are right about that....my bad.

I still like the argument though about playoff games meaning more so therefore you pay more. It is logical to me then that if preseason games mean less then you should pay less. Might be beating a dead horse by now though.

Greg, a relationship that relates in the same total season ticket cost is 115% of the current price for regular season and 40% for preseason. The examples I give are for what is currently a $100 ticket, which would then become a $115 RS ticket and a $40 PS ticket. To summarize the problem:

1. Ravens fans with PSL's typically have a host of folks who know so.
    2. Those "close personal friends" (CPF) are happy to pay face value for a RS ticket
    3. CPF include a wide group of folks that for which the typical season ticket holder bears no financial responsibility (brother in law, son's soccer coach, co-workers, some guy who worked on your house with whom you spent a few minutes talking football while you were paying him $75/hour).
    4. CPF are happy to pay "full" price (they define as face) for a RS game, but most don't understand when you try to "screw them" by selling them PS tickets at face value.
    5. The CPF will have an excuse not to take the tickets at face value (daughter sick, distant relative died, piano recital) if the game is meaningless when it rolls around if they can weasel out of the transaction.
    6. The bulk of humanity looks down on scalpers, and defines the group as anyone who sells a ticket above face value. I consider this position ridiculous, but so are a lot of popularly held beliefs like national health care. What am I going to do about that?
    7. Given the current aftermarket for seats, the "true value" of good seats is probably something like 40% for PS and 200% for RS, so even if your CPF pays you 115%, he's still getting a big bargain.
    8. As PSL holder you'll keep the Colts, Jets, Patriots, and Steelers games for yourself, thus cherry-picking your own package.
    9. Under the new pricing structure, the CPF would then be faced with a choice...see the Arizona Cardinals for $115 or a PS game against the Eagles for $40. That's a much closer representation of value and will cause the CPF to make an economic decision if you are nice enough to sell both seats for face.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 08-26-2007 at 10:46 AM.

I'd be pretty pissed if I paid full price for the cancellation in DC last night, if you are going to charge full price give the people what they paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkraven View Post
    I'd be pretty pissed if I paid full price for the cancellation in DC last night, if you are going to charge full price give the people what they paid for.
    On the other hand, I'm glad that the torn ACL Gaither might have gotten at 6:05 in the 4th quarter never materialized.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012