Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Collegiate Players to keep an eye on in 2013 (Merged)

Normally after the draft it gets pretty slow in here until OTA's and mini camps really kick into gear, so I usually post up about 4-5 guys per position to keep our eyes on. I love college football and watch as many games as I can and I'm hoping to be able to get back down to the Senior Bowl next year. A few years ago when I was down there I was doing live practice updates and things like that on the Sunspot board. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed being down there. Plus, if you've never been to Mobile, you should go. It's a great time without the prices of New Orleans. :D

These players don't necessarily mean I think or feel that the Ravens are keeping an eye on them, but just an overall idea of the talent level coming potentially coming out next year.

QB:
    Tyler Wilson, Arkansas (6'4" 221lbs). He almost came out this year, but I think he did the smart thing and returned for his senior year. He has a chance to be the top QB taken next year and is easily the best QB in the SEC. He's a pretty complete QB, IMO.

Danny O'Brien, Wisconsin (6'3" 215lbs). I really hope this kid just tears the Big10 a new one. He deserves to be in a successful organization, IMO. He's fairly mobile, but in Wisconsin's run-heavy system he should be able to really capitalize and get himself back into 1st/2nd round conversation. If he has even close to the success of Russell Wilson, I could see him being a 1st round selection.

Dayne Crist, Kansas (6'4" 235lbs). Crist completed his undergraduate degree at Notre Dame, so he'll be able to play immediately. He just wasn't a good fit for the spread offense and by transferring to Kansas, he'll be reunited with Charlie Weiss who recruited him initially.

Tanner Price, Wake Forest (6'2" 210lbs). He won't be a day 1 pick, but he could be a day 2 pick. He kind of reminds me of Kirk Cousins without the talent around him. I watched him pick apart Florida State's defense last year.

RB:
    Knile Davis, Arkansas (6'1" 230lbs). Had he not gotten injured this past year I think he may have come out and been a potential day 1/day 2 selection. Nice speed & quickness. He's a good blocker too. Everyone knows about Marcus Lattimore in the SEC, but I think Davis could very well be in discussion as the top RB in the SEC.

Ed Wesley, TCU (5'9" 205lbs). I don't know that he'd be a feature back in the NFL, but if he has another solid season I could definitely see some teams interested in him as a change of pace back. TCU always does a decent job with producing NFL quality players.

James White, Wisconsin (5'10" 202lbs). Everyone wants to talk about Montee Ball, but White is just as good and has taken significantly less of a beating than Ball has. White has speed to burn and would be a really nice addition to a lot of different teams in the NFL. He could probably stand to put on maybe 6-8 more good lbs of muscle.

Stepfan Taylor, Stanford (5'11" 215lbs). He's going to be the main focal point of Stanford's offense now that Andrew Luck has gone. He racked up over 1300 yards on the ground last year. If he has another solid year I could see him as a great Day 2 pick with potential to be a feature back in the NFL.

WR:
    Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas (6'3" 212lbs). Seeing a pattern here with Arkansas' offense? They could be really good and Hamilton is a big piece of that. Nice size/speed combo. Good hands.

Alec Lemon, Syracuse (6'2" 205lbs). Not a blazer, but runs pretty solid routes. He's a local kid from Crofton, MD. He has nice hands too. Definitely a sleeper prospect heading into his junior year.

Rodney Smith, Florida State (6'6" 218lbs). If the Seminoles can get EJ Manuel to be more consistent than I think this kid could blow up. He's got deep speed and tremendous size. There are really no cornerbacks that can hang with this kid in the ACC.

Emory Blake, Auburn (6'1" 199lbs). His production is going to suffer because of the type of offense that Auburn runs, but he's a pretty refined receiver. Definitely one of the more underrated receivers in the SEC.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Collegiate Players to keep an eye on in 2013

TE:
    Tyler Eiffert, Notre Dame (6'6" 244lbs). IMO had he come out he could have been the top TE taken instead of Coby Fleener. Eiffert has better receiving skills and is a better blocker.

Levine Toilolo, Stanford (6'7" 265lbs). Mike Mayock said that Fleener wasn't even the best TE prospect at Stanford last year and he was right. Toilolo is huge, athletic, and a significantly better blocker.

OL:

Barrett Jones, Alabama (6'5" 308lbs). Actually, Jones is slated to play center for Bama this year, so he instantly becomes one of the top center prospects IMO. He's just a good offensive lineman who has now played literally every position on the OL.

Jarvis Jones, Oklahoma (6'7" 299lbs). Potentially one of the top LT prospects next year. He's a good pass blocker and an underrated run blocker. Definitely needs to put on some pounds though.

Jake Matthews, Texas A&M (6'5" 305lbs). Could be a guard in the NFL, but he's got the footwork to potentially be a left tackle. He's got the bloodline too. His father is HOF'er Bruce Matthews.

Braxston Cave, Notre Dame (6'3" 309lbs). IMO he may be the best pure center available next year. He's not a bad run blocker, but his forte is definitely as a pass blocker. I see him as a solid day 2 pick right now, but I'm sure he'll be overrated because he's a Golden Domer.

Jacob Palmer, Bethune Cookman (6'4" 301lbs). Potential late round small school prospect who could shoot up the boards. Nice footwork, but obviously kind of raw. Still he could probably transition to RT or G in the pro's.

DL/Pass Rusher/DT:
    William Gholston, DE, (6'7" 285lbs). He's super athletic for his size. I guess that must run in the Gholston name...and no I don't know if there is any relation to the Ohio State Gholston. However, he can stand up and put his hand in the dirt. He plays the run well and he's got a nice burst for his size.

Brandon Jenkins, Florida State (6'3" 260lbs). He probably would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder had he come out this year. As of now he's arguably the top rated 3-4 OLB prospect in next year's draft class.

Alex Okafor, Texas (6'4" 265lbs). Definitely someone to keep an eye on. He's a similar prospect to another former Texas standout, Brian Orakpo.

AJ Francis, Maryland (6'4" 295lbs). I think Francis could really shoot up the draft boards similar to what Kendall Reyes and Fletcher Cox did. He's kind of similar to those guys, but coming out of a 3-4 defense he can also play the 5-technique, which is going to help him. I don't know where he'll land in the draft, but He's a pretty good prospect.

Great post. I'll add a few guys that I'm keeping an eye on at the OT position, which is where I imagine the Ravens will have the greatest need going into the 2013 draft. This will be in no particular order

Barrett Jones, Alabama He was one of the players I was most excited about in the 2012 draft because I felt sure he would come out after a dominant year at LT for the Crimson Tide. He has played every position on the line and could conceivably do the same at the next level, although I believe he has the most value at LT. He handled everything that was thrown at him last year, stonewalling speedy DEs and moving guys out of the way in the run game. I think he plays like a Raven and he looks like exactly the kind of pick the Ravens would like to make.

Oday Aboushi, Virginia Potential franchise LT from a program that has graduated a lot of great NFL OL talent. Another guy who I thought would come out in 2012 and be a potential high pick. Very high upside with first rate pass protection and a frame to add more weight to become more of a mauler.

DJ Fluker, Alabama Very nasty run-blocking mauler who played RT last year and looks like he'll get the chance to play LT next year w/Barrett Jones moving to C. Trent Richardson made a lot of great yards running behind him. Very pro-ready but might not be a LT candidate right away. He might wait another year to come out if he doesn't have a great year at LT.

Seantrel Henderson, Miami Although he wouldn't be a good fit for our zone-blocking scheme, there are very few human beings that have his kind of athleticism at 6'8 and well north of 350 pounds. Very raw, but an absolute mountain of a man. Another guy who might wait a year and come out in 2014.

Tanner Hawkinson, Kansas Great athlete who will be a 3-year starter at LT in the Big XII by the end of next season. Another guy with good technique and polish who could really rise if a lot of the juniors stay in school beyond 2013.

Xavier Nixon, Florida I'm really high on Nixon. He might have the best technique on this list, but he's not physically dominant although he is a good athlete with speed. His problem is inconsistency and injuries. He has demonstrated some polish and pro-readiness, so with a solid, complete year at LT he could go very high.

Blog Entries

LB:
    Shane Skov, Stanford (6'4" 244lbs). Skov was hurt last year, but he is versatile and excellent against the run. He's definitely one of the top 3-4 LB prospects heading into next year and his versatility could push him up the draft boards.

Chase Thomas, Stanford (6'3" 239lbs). Another Stanford guy who can play ILB or OLB in the 3-4. Very solid LB.

Tanner Brock, TCU (6'2" 250lbs). Arguably a better prospect than Tank Carder due to his size/speed combo. He's not bad in zone coverage and could easily line up in multiple defensive schemes.

Nico Johnson, Alabama (6'3" 245lbs). IMO, he's probably the best 3-4 ILB prospect for next year. He's just as good of a run stopper as Hightower, but he's much better in coverage because he's much quicker and isn't nearly as stiff. Can rush the passer as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Great post. I'll add a few guys that I'm keeping an eye on at the OT position, which is where I imagine the Ravens will have the greatest need going into the 2013 draft. This will be in no particular order

Barrett Jones, Alabama He was one of the players I was most excited about in the 2012 draft because I felt sure he would come out after a dominant year at LT for the Crimson Tide. He has played every position on the line and could conceivably do the same at the next level, although I believe he has the most value at LT. He handled everything that was thrown at him last year, stonewalling speedy DEs and moving guys out of the way in the run game. I think he plays like a Raven and he looks like exactly the kind of pick the Ravens would like to make.

Oday Aboushi, Virginia Potential franchise LT from a program that has graduated a lot of great NFL OL talent. Another guy who I thought would come out in 2012 and be a potential high pick. Very high upside with first rate pass protection and a frame to add more weight to become more of a mauler.

DJ Fluker, Alabama Very nasty run-blocking mauler who played RT last year and looks like he'll get the chance to play LT next year w/Barrett Jones moving to C. Trent Richardson made a lot of great yards running behind him. Very pro-ready but might not be a LT candidate right away. He might wait another year to come out if he doesn't have a great year at LT.

Seantrel Henderson, Miami Although he wouldn't be a good fit for our zone-blocking scheme, there are very few human beings that have his kind of athleticism at 6'8 and well north of 350 pounds. Very raw, but an absolute mountain of a man. Another guy who might wait a year and come out in 2014.

Tanner Hawkinson, Kansas Great athlete who will be a 3-year starter at LT in the Big XII by the end of next season. Another guy with good technique and polish who could really rise if a lot of the juniors stay in school beyond 2013.

Xavier Nixon, Florida I'm really high on Nixon. He might have the best technique on this list, but he's not physically dominant although he is a good athlete with speed. His problem is inconsistency and injuries. He has demonstrated some polish and pro-readiness, so with a solid, complete year at LT he could go very high.
    I'm pretty high on Tanner Hawkinson as well. He's got everything you look for in a premeir LT. Barrett Jones is my favorite OL prospect in this class. I'm not real big on DJ Fluker or Seantrel Henderson. They're enormous, but enormous doesn't equate to being a good OT prospect anymore. It helps, but I don't think either of those guys really possess the athleticism or quick feet to be legitimate LT prospects in the pros. Henderson may get there, but I don't see it at the moment. I'd much rather look at Hawkinson or Jake Matthews.

Blog Entries

I have 2 LSU defenders to keep an eye on:

Tyrann Mathieu CB - He's a better player than Morris Claiborne but he's tiny. Mathieu is only 5'9 175. His skills though are top notch and he's also one of the best punt returners in the country. He was 1st team SEC last year and a Heisman finalist as a Sophomore. Will his incredible play overcome his size when it comes time for the draft? The success of Ladarius Webb proves that is not too small for the NFL.

Sam Montgomery DE/OLB - Pure pass rusher who is a great 4-3 DE but athletic enough to make the transition to a 3-4. He's 6'4 245 and has room to add 10 to 15 pounds. Has a nose for pressure and not only gets sacks but tackles for loss. This guy has upside.

Blog Entries

I know Ball has taken a beating but I'd still put him ahead of White. Other than that I like the list.

What are your thoughts about Ceirre Wood?

Blog Entries

DB/CB/S:

TJ McDonald, USC (6'2" 210lbs). IMO he could have been the top safety taken this year had he come out. He's got excellent size, speed, and range to be a true free safety in the NFL.

Johnny Adams, Michigan State (5'11" 185lbs). Arguably next year's best cover corner. Excellent speed and ball skills. Even though he's on the small side he's not afraid to come up and put his shoulder into someone.

Nigel Malone, Kansas State (5'11" 177lbs). Another smaller cover corner. Plays very physical. Decent return skills as well.

Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State (6'2" 189lbs). Excellent size, nice fluid hips, can stay with anyone. I'd like to see him get a bit more physical around the LOS because he's got the size to be a really standout press corner.

Robert Lester, Alabama (6'2" 215lbs). Another outstanding defensive NFL prospect for the Crimson Tide? Whodathunkit?

Kenny Tate, Maryland (6'4" 220lbs). Started out as a receiver. He's got outstanding hands and range. If it weren't for Maryland using him as a jack safety/linebacker hybrid I think this guy could be one of the top safety prospects in the country. Unlike other big-bodied safeties, he can actually run and cover.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I have 2 LSU defenders to keep an eye on:

Tyrann Mathieu CB - He's a better player than Morris Claiborne but he's tiny. Mathieu is only 5'9 175. His skills though are top notch and he's also one of the best punt returners in the country. He was 1st team SEC last year and a Heisman finalist as a Sophomore. Will his incredible play overcome his size when it comes time for the draft? The success of Ladarius Webb proves that is not too small for the NFL.

Sam Montgomery DE/OLB - Pure pass rusher who is a great 4-3 DE but athletic enough to make the transition to a 3-4. He's 6'4 245 and has room to add 10 to 15 pounds. Has a nose for pressure and not only gets sacks but tackles for loss. This guy has upside.
    Yea, the Honey Badger is a hell of a football player. I think he'd be a great nickel corner in the pros. I like Montgomery a lot too. I wish Eric Reid wasn't a sophomore because I think he's one of the better safety prospects in the FBS right now.

There are actually a fair amount of LSU boys that I really like. Alex Hurst, Spencer Ware, Mike Ford, Drew Alleman, & Barkevious Mingo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I know Ball has taken a beating but I'd still put him ahead of White. Other than that I like the list.

What are your thoughts about Ceirre Wood?
    Well, this list isn't exactly a "ranking" so-to-speak.

These are just some of the guys that may not be as well known because they aren't being blasted all over sports center right now. These are the guys that I'm really excited to see play this coming year.

Montee Ball should have come out this year. I think he would have been the #2 or #3 runningback off the boards. All he's doing by going back to Wisconsin is adding another 250-300 carries onto his knees/shoulders.

Being an ND fan and having watched every game the issues with Dayne were not the type of offense. Dayne had all the tools and was great in practice. The issue is between his ears. He melted down in game situations. That and he was terrible throwing to his left. Dayne played in a spread offense throughout his high school career.

Also need to Manti Teo to your linebackers. He plays 3-4 ILB. He played most of last season with a bad ankle. Apparently he has slimmed down in the off season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, the Honey Badger is a hell of a football player. I think he'd be a great nickel corner in the pros. I like Montgomery a lot too. I wish Eric Reid wasn't a sophomore because I think he's one of the better safety prospects in the FBS right now.

There are actually a fair amount of LSU boys that I really like. Alex Hurst, Spencer Ware, Mike Ford, Drew Alleman, & Barkevious Mingo.
    I have more to add to but I have real world stuff to do and it will have to wait. Ford is the guy who stands out most from those those guys in my opinion.