Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Replacements are gone!!

It would have been interesting to see Carey, the worst of the regular officials, so we would have an opportunity to compare his crew to the replacement refs while that nightmare is still so close in the rear view mirror.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I can't believe anyone would be happy to see Mike 'I have a personal vendetta against the Ravens' Carey. Carey went after Suggs because he didn't like the look he was given. The guy is an unprofessional prick.
    I am not looking to pick an argument, but other than the Lions game in 05 (yes, I know, "other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?"), I haven't recalled Carey being involved in that much controversy with the Ravens. I personally think he is one of the better officials.

And while I do think Carey lost his cool in that game (which is a no-no for any official), the Ravens basically brought it upon themselves with their wild, undisciplined play. I still believe Billick was a good coach, but this game was Exhibit A for those that complained about his lack of discipline on his teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I am not looking to pick an argument, but other than the Lions game in 05 (yes, I know, "other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?"), I haven't recalled Carey being involved in that much controversy with the Ravens. I personally think he is one of the better officials.

And while I do think Carey lost his cool in that game (which is a no-no for any official), the Ravens basically brought it upon themselves with their wild, undisciplined play. I still believe Billick was a good coach, but this game was Exhibit A for those that complained about his lack of discipline on his teams.
    Agreed.

And, IIRC, Billick put the blame squarely on the players. Yes, there were two blown calls this game but it was no excuse for the way Scott and Suggs acted out.

If you throw a tantrum and toss your helmet, you're going to get flagged.

If you touch a ref in the manner in which Suggs did, you're going to get tossed.

And it's not like the team was playing well and these calls effected the outcome. Both sides of the ball were lackluster that day in Detroit.

Blog Entries

Strangely I agree. Other than that game you don't hear much of Carey other than his dramatic arm motions. Ron Winters on the other hand...
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And it's not like the team was playing well and these calls effected the outcome. Both sides of the ball were lackluster that day in Detroit.
    Well, I will take issue here about effecting the outcome. The no-call in the Harrington incompletion, which was ruled a fumble and the Lions picked up and ran in for a score, as well as the defensive holding call at the goal line, which gave the Lions another 4 downs from the 1 foot line to score, were egregious and directly impacted the game.

But...the Ravens brought it on themselves by not playing better (and making those calls meaningless) and by basically setting Carey off with their antics.

I'm hoping the stadium will give the regular refs a standing ovation when they come on the field. Sure, they make horrendous calls at times but nothing like the debacles we've witnessed these past 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens27Girl View Post
    I'm hoping the stadium will give the regular refs a standing ovation when they come on the field. Sure, they make horrendous calls at times but nothing like the debacles we've witnessed these past 3 weeks.
    They are getting - and now much more so - paid very well to do their jobs competently. While I am glad they are back, I will reserve my standing ovations for extraordinary work on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    How long until they screw up a call and we start bitching about them? what exactly is the over/under? I say 1.5 weeks. Might get a little leeway this week but by next week well be back to the same.
    The key here is that at least we won't be discussing the bad officiating every single week like we have thus far. It was really starting to take away from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    The key here is that at least we won't be discussing the bad officiating every single week like we have thus far. It was really starting to take away from the game.
    Yes you will. Every time the ravens lose. Don't believe me go back to last years losses.

Right.

There is a big difference between an occasional officiating mistake and a river of costly, distracting errors.

Sure, somestimes I misspell a word. But if my dyslexic brother took over my account it would be a lot worse.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

They are getting - and now much more so - paid very well to do their jobs competently. While I am glad they are back, I will reserve my standing ovations for extraordinary work on the field.
    It might just end up swaying their decisions some ;) Return the friendly gesture in some of their calls lol

Just about every call that a fan disagrees with gets discussed in some form or fashion on here, so yeah, we will still be discussing the officiating each week. Just because the regular refs are back, doesn't mean the games will be called perfectly.