Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: National Anthem... and other observations:

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    It is not about the song that is playing.
    Like I said, turn the song off. I'm protesting the song. The song politicizes the presentation of our colors. I'm free to make that choice.

So when the flag is presented, you stand the fuck up.
    It's the context... I am not a sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post

Like I said, turn the song off. I'm protesting the song. The song politicizes the presentation of our colors. I'm free to make that choice.
    You are correct that you are free to make that choice. That is what is so hypocritical about your stance.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Anyhow, this is turning into a political discussion, so I will move on from it.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

You are correct that you are free to make that choice. That is what is so hypocritical about your stance.
    I don't want to turn this into a political discussion. I am not a political person. It's the intent and motive of the song that bothers me. It's also the pressure I feel from others to cave to that causes me to rebel.

Anyhow, I don't think I'm being hypocritical... I think something is being confused in the course of this conversation. My original comment was for the person to lighten up and have fun with it.... But, I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't like the "O" chant. That's perfectly fine and I even understand where they are coming from with their view.

Last, I never understood how standing really meant anything. Talk about hypocrisy... All of these people stand, but what are they thinking... what do they feel in their heart? 99% of their brains are really thinking "where is the beer man, can't wait for the beer man." or.. "here comes the "O"... here comes the "O". How does standing change anything about me? Except, when I'm standing... EVERYONE knows I'm a patriot!

Mr. Colon did an outstanding job with the National Anthem.

The replacement Refs are making alot of mistakes, but I think we need to remember that alot of the regular refs do too. Some of the regulars also show blatant favoritism. Others make a habit of making highly controversial calls or non calls at the most critical times of the game that directly or indirectly affect the outcome of the game. Alot of the replacements are screwing up sure, but there are a few regular officials that should not be invited back when this mess is resolved imhao.

Does Williams play so far off the reciever by choice or is he being told to do so? Can't figure out why our DB's don't hit the recievers off the line more often to disrupt their routes.

I think most of our Fans treated the visiting Pats fans decently, but tempers still flared near the end.
    I was very proud of our Fans when the whole joint got up and went completely insane on the final Defensive stand. The decibels went up 100%!

The half assed streaker dude was entertaining but the refs, commercials and sloppiness on the field had already made it a long, LONG game and his little stunt just made it longer. I'm just glad the dude didn't drop trow lol!

I'm generally not down with "BS" or "SUCKS" chants, but the Refs had this one coming. As another poster said i think it may have gotten into their heads a little. The 7NA song was also very powerful and the R-A-V-E-N-S cheer was loud as hell, but the best chant of all was "TORRIE! TORRIE! TORRIE!" I don't think any of the 70,000 human beings in attendance would have had any problem if Mr. Smith had not suited up so soon after the tragic death of his brother, but he did and his effort was absolutely amazing. The Fans recognized it and chanted his name in the stands and on the ramps and staircases after the game. To me it was a very moving moment in Ravens history.

OT - I don't yell "O "during the Anthem but i have no problem with those that do. I just wish that those that yell "O!" would also try to sing our National Anthem. I've been to many stadiums around the NFL, and more Fans in just about every City sing the Anthem more than the Fans here in Baltimore do - and the song was written here. September 2014 will mark the 200th Anniversary of the bombardment of Fort McHenry in Baltimore and the writing of the Star Spangled Banner. I encourage all Fans to start singing OUR National Anthem at all Ravens and Orioles games in honor and gratitude of the many great freedoms we enjoy - and by all means holler "O" while you sing it if that is your thing!

GO RAVENS, GO ORIOLES AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Respectfully,

- Real Fan Dan
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

I stand because I proudly served this country. I stand to respect the memories of those who served and sacrificed. They were my brothers and sisters. Maybe I just take more pride in what the flag symbolizes. Perhaps it is a character flaw on my part. But I am ok with that.

I was not trying to attack your feelings on the subject. It's your right to remain seated. I just want you to know why you SHOULD be standing during the colors. Do not stand up because the shitty song is playing. But consider standing to honor those who have died protecting our freedoms and rights.

That is all. No offense intended toward you, friend.

I stand because I proudly served this country. I stand to respect the memories of those who served and sacrificed. They were my brothers and sisters. Maybe I just take more pride in what the flag symbolizes. Perhaps it is a character flaw on my part. But I am ok with that.

I was not trying to attack your feelings on the subject. It's your right to remain seated. I just want you to know why you SHOULD be standing during the colors. Do not stand up because the shitty song is playing. But consider standing to honor those who have died protecting our freedoms and rights.

That is all. No offense intended toward you, friend.
    No offense taken and I meant none to you. And I thank you and appreciate your service. And my thoughts and thanks are with those you served with and those who died. I'm not the best writer... so I feel like a lot of what I'm feeling is tough to put in words. You are right, I should ignore the song. Maybe a better way to describe what I always felt, is that I feel like the song makes a mockery of everything we are standing for. And it lessons what we stand for in the anthem.

Now... LETS GO RAVENS!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Of course you are free to make that choice. Just as I am free to express my opinion that anyone not crippled who doesn't stand when the color guard presents the flag, accompanied by "Proud to be an American", is being blatantly disrespectful. Attention whores who want to make a statement about the song which you previously described as the "Hillbilly Anthem " should quietly stand up so as not to disturb the other 69,999 in attendance, or go out to the stadium's huge concourse to drink, smoke weed, or any other form of expression which is not disturbing those who wish to show respect to our flag and nation.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

BTW, just because it's a pet peeve of mine; the song is called "God Bless the U.S.A.", not "Proud to be an American".

Carry on. :)

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    BTW, just because it's a pet peeve of mine; the song is called "God Bless the U.S.A.", not "Proud to be an American".
    I knew that, but it's too similar to "God Bless America". The thought of Kate Smith singing churns my stomach. Most know it as "Proud to be an American". That is, unless it's being called by it's new a.k.a.: "Hillbilly Anthem".

Major pet peeve of mine is calling Scots-Irish emigrants from Appalachia "hillbillies" and "rednecks". Why is it OK for the media and fucking liberals to paint disparaging slurs, yet the slightest hint at an unintended slur against one of the "favored" minorities creates a liberal firestorm? Hundreds of thousands in metro Baltimore have ancestors who came down from the Appalachians, many during WW I and WW II to work in Baltimore shipyards and factories.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

If you listen to the announcement, you're being asked to stand for the presentation of the colors, which are being carried out by a vet representing all the branches of the armed services.

So yes, it's your right not to stand. But to that, I will simply say ....

pledgestandingkids.jpg

Blog Entries
    GO NAVY.
    BEAT ARMY.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.