Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

National Anthem... and other observations:

Man was the anthem last night great or what? Not sure if the TV crowd got to see it or not, but Javier Colon just killed it. In a good way. Would like to see a replay of that one.

Alright, on to a few other observations:

Refs - I have to say this - MOST of the flags were legit. The game was sloppy as all get out and hard to watch in person. Until the end of course.. And as far as the worst calls of the night, I'm going with the one where Williams mugs Edelman and Edelman gets called for offensive PI. Almost reminded me of something similar that happened with Jacoby Jones last week in Philly. We should be 3-0 this morning. GRRRRRRRRRR

Speaking of Williams - holy crap, they should keep a fire extinguisher nearby for every time he is on the field. Even the video boards were showing constant replays of him getting beat - at a home game no less! Dude has to play better than that.

Fans - Smattering of Pats fans in our section (509). A couple were being downright obnoxious. Jumping up and screaming and clapping for every simple play the Pats made. Then by the 4th quarter the SAFE goons started hauling people out. Why can't people just watch a tight game without acting like imbeciles?

Super Hero Fan - Wonder if that guy got BULLIED at Central Booking last night. What a fruitcake

"BS" chant - that was fun to be part of.. even though I did feel guilty with some kids nearby. And it was almost like whomever works in the control room on game days was egging it on buy playing the "thump thump" DEEE-FENSE chant on the video boards. once the fans got into it.

Our defense - something that really stands out to me is that a bulk of the yardage our defense is giving up early in the season is right smack dab in the middle of the field - mostly on crossing routes. This smells directly of LB's and SS's (are you listening Bernard?) being out of position or just not having good coverage skills. Between that and really no pass rush yet to speak of (our sacks this year have been on blitzes for the most part), I just don't know if this defense will even crack the top 10 this year with two really glaring weaknesses.

Re: National Anthem... and other observations:

I dug the anthem as well. Very well done. Gave me goosebumps.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Thank goodness someone prepped him ahead of time for the dreaded "OOOOOOOOOO" at the end. He stopped and waited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Thank goodness someone prepped him ahead of time for the dreaded "OOOOOOOOOO" at the end. He stopped and waited for it.
    Dreaded?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Dreaded?
    My opinion of how we do the national anthem is no secret. I despise the "OOOOOOOOOOOO" with all my heart. I'm sure I've said that before. :)

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    My opinion of how we do the national anthem is no secret. I despise the "OOOOOOOOOOOO" with all my heart. I'm sure I've said that before. :)
    Bahh... don't take yourself so seriously.

BTW, I think 90% of the D's issues right now are on Carey Williams. He's the weakest link in the chain, IMO. I wanted them to bench him last night in the 4th quarter and run Smith, Brown, or Graham out there. I was thinking they couldn't have done any worse. Williams did get a pass defensed on the Pats final drive though, so at least he was resilient and kept at it. He's a major problem though, IMO. QB's and WR's all over the NFL are salivating when they watch him on film.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    BTW, I think 90% of the D's issues right now are on Carey Williams. He's the weakest link in the chain, IMO. I wanted them to bench him last night in the 4th quarter and run Smith, Brown, or Graham out there. I was thinking they couldn't have done any worse. Williams did get a pass defensed on the Pats final drive though, so at least he was resilient and kept at it. He's a major problem though, IMO. QB's and WR's all over the NFL are salivating when they watch him on film.
    I think he's definitely one of the issue.

But for me, the larger issue was something the broadcast touched on more than once last night -- Brady having all damn night to throw the ball.

They showed a series of clips mid way through the third that showed Brady, routinely, having 3.2 - 4 seconds to sit back and find a receiver.

You simply cannot give any QB that amount of time and expect your DB's to stay in coverage for that long. Someone was bound to get open.

Yup, Williams is an issue, but the pass rush is the biggest. They need to get more creative with how they approach it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think he's definitely one of the issue.

But for me, the larger issue was something the broadcast touched on more than once last night -- Brady having all damn night to throw the ball.

They showed a series of clips mid way through the third that showed Brady, routinely, having 3.2 - 4 seconds to sit back and find a receiver.

You simply cannot give any QB that amount of time and expect your DB's to stay in coverage for that long. Someone was bound to get open.
    Yeah, I don't see how you can blame one guy when the entire defense has been shredded the past two games. People wanted to say "It's just because they were playing Vick and were scared of him running if they blitzed..." or something along those lines after the Eagles game, well, not so much. I knew going in Brady was going to shred the defense because...for the most part...Pees won't blitz, and they don't have the players to generate a rush with four guys.

other thoughts:

What has happened to Kruger and McPhee? Less so for McPhee, he's been decent, but Kruger has done nothing. Not sure how much longer Kruger is going to be starting with Upshaw continuing to make plays - although he doesn't really get much rush either. That might be the best thing for Kruger, to be honest. Put him back in the pass rush role he thrived in last year.

Also think it's interesting how Dickson has gone from the starting TE to basically not even playing. Deservedly so, because he stinks and Pitta is good, but it's interesting how quick they were to make that change and basically make Dickson irrelevant in the current offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    BTW, I think 90% of the D's issues right now are on Carey Williams. He's the weakest link in the chain, IMO. I wanted them to bench him last night in the 4th quarter and run Smith, Brown, or Graham out there. I was thinking they couldn't have done any worse...
    Impossible ! That can't be because he's so good that he turned down a 3 year - $15 million contract. Perhaps he should rethink his position on that carefully... Bc

He should've taken that money and run. If another team offers him that same deal this offseason, I wouldn't blame the Ravens one bit if they told him best wishes with your new team...