Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

FILMSTUDY: Breaking down the Offensive Line performances v. Eagles

An effective 4-man pass rush is perhaps the single most valuable defensive asset in today’s game. Teams that can get pressure with 4 will find a way to stop the passing game of virtually any NFL team. Conversely, teams that can’t stop the 4-man rush are almost universally unsuccessful.

The Eagles rushed exactly 4 on 34 of Flacco’s 44 drop backs. Every one of those 34 plays was a simple rush of their 4-man front without any blitzers or zone drops. On those plays Flacco was afforded Ample Time and Space (ATS) just 14 times and was knocked down (QH) 9 times including 1 sack. The remaining 10 rushes included 7 with 5 men and 3 with 6. Juan Castillo only employed deceptive rushes on 3 occasions.

If you are interested in the effectiveness of the pass rush, you’ll probably want to know if the QB is knocked to the ground as opposed to simply pressured. The event is not recorded uniformly or accurately at most venues as reflected in the Gamebook (the Eagles’ game had 21 QHs, but the Gamebook recorded just 4). I review the regular broadcast and note a number of plays where I can’t tell if the QB goes down after the ball is delivered. I can then check those when the coaches video becomes available on Tuesday or Wednesday. I mention this because the Eagles had 4 off-camera QHs in this game, some of which appeared both late and dirty.

Here are the details along with some very interesting notes
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: FILMSTUDY: Breaking down the Offensive Line performances v. Eagles

Good stuff.

The OL was pretty bad Sunday...they are going to have to play a lot better. I know we faced one of the best pass rushes in football, but we still have a lot more to face...Steelers twice, Giants, Cowboys, Texans...hell Chandler Jones looks like a star in the making for the Pats.

3. Re: FILMSTUDY: Breaking down the Offensive Line performances v. Eagles

This is why I vented...I am so sick of shotty offensive line play for Joe. :grbac:

I don't understand how this could possibly be the Ravens best offensive line. It simply doesn't make sense to not play McKinnie if he's healthy. And either Osemele or at least Bobbie Williams are at least worth considering at LG. With this lineup, Flacco rarely has time or space to step into throws (thus the abnormal amount of backfooted lobs he threw in Philly). Worse, it puts one of our best assets at serious risk of injury.

But thanks for the great info as always Film.

5. Re: FILMSTUDY: Breaking down the Offensive Line performances v. Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by acisking View Post
    I don't understand how this could possibly be the Ravens best offensive line. It simply doesn't make sense to not play McKinnie if he's healthy. And either Osemele or at least Bobbie Williams are at least worth considering at LG. With this lineup, Flacco rarely has time or space to step into throws (thus the abnormal amount of backfooted lobs he threw in Philly). Worse, it puts one of our best assets at serious risk of injury.

But thanks for the great info as always Film.
    They should have brought in some competition for center...

Blog Entries

Thanks Filmstudy.

If this is the best line, I'm scared to see what would happen with the veteran reserves
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

This OL needs to get better in a hurry.

Again, the way they can be effective is by employing the offensive strategy from the 1st week.

Man, the more I think about the 2nd half of the Eagles game the more annoyed it makes me. They completely played right into the strengths of that Eagles DL...long and drawn out patterns means Joe holds onto the ball a lot longer means that Eagles DL had a lot more time to beat their guys.

Completely stupid approach.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Like any game, we had a few plays that we could have made to break them, and we didn't get it down.....emotionally we never let them get down in that second half. It was a tough road game that could have gone either way. I think its too early to draw conclusions.....obviously, we need an anchor over there at LT. thats is a given for any good offense these days, and the jury is still out.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Like any game, we had a few plays that we could have made to break them, and we didn't get it down.....emotionally we never let them get down in that second half. It was a tough road game that could have gone either way. I think its too early to draw conclusions.....obviously, we need an anchor over there at LT. thats is a given for any good offense these days, and the jury is still out.
    I'm sorry, but I think this is completely false in today's NFL. Look at the past 5 Super Bowl winners and you'll see that none of them had an anchor or really good LT. In fact, a lot of the better offenses in the game today do NOT have anything more than an average OT. If you look at the top rated LT's in the league and then you look at their teams (Jake Long/Miami, Joe Thomas/Cleveland, etc) then you'll likely find that their teams really aren't all that successful.

It's all about the coordinator putting players in the right places and then formulating a good game plan that plays to the strengths of the offense. That's it.

Case and point: Game 1 vs Cinci - 299 yards through the air and 2 TD's. Rice got his touches and made the most of them due to the nature of the offense keeping the defense on their heels the entire game. Game 2, 1st half, the offense moved the ball well and made a lot of plays down the field. Some of them weren't pretty, but it was still getting the job done and keeping the Eagle's defense on their heels.

That's how you neutralize a strong pass rush and help out a weak OL/OT.

The Giants, Packers, Steelers, Saints, Cowboys, and Lions have been doing it for years.

If Cam goes with the sugar huddle offense for the rest of the season, then it won't matter how good or bad Oher is because when you're getting the ball out in 3-4 seconds on a 3 step drop then you could have Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor lined up across from Oher and it wouldn't matter because by the time they made their "move" to get to the QB the ball is already out and on it's way to the receiver.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm sorry, but I think this is completely false in today's NFL. Look at the past 5 Super Bowl winners and you'll see that none of them had an anchor or really good LT. In fact, a lot of the better offenses in the game today do NOT have anything more than an average OT. If you look at the top rated LT's in the league and then you look at their teams (Jake Long/Miami, Joe Thomas/Cleveland, etc) then you'll likely find that their teams really aren't all that successful.

It's all about the coordinator putting players in the right places and then formulating a good game plan that plays to the strengths of the offense. That's it.

Case and point: Game 1 vs Cinci - 299 yards through the air and 2 TD's. Rice got his touches and made the most of them due to the nature of the offense keeping the defense on their heels the entire game. Game 2, 1st half, the offense moved the ball well and made a lot of plays down the field. Some of them weren't pretty, but it was still getting the job done and keeping the Eagle's defense on their heels.

That's how you neutralize a strong pass rush and help out a weak OL/OT.

The Giants, Packers, Steelers, Saints, Cowboys, and Lions have been doing it for years.

If Cam goes with the sugar huddle offense for the rest of the season, then it won't matter how good or bad Oher is because when you're getting the ball out in 3-4 seconds on a 3 step drop then you could have Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor lined up across from Oher and it wouldn't matter because by the time they made their "move" to get to the QB the ball is already out and on it's way to the receiver.
    Exactly this. For example, there is no reason for this offense to go into a heavy formation with McKinnie in between the 20s. By getting into that personnel package, the offense is sending a notarized letter to the defense detailing exactly what is about to happen. It eliminates their ability to be multiple, and by eliminating their ability to be multiple, they sacrifice any hope of being dynamic.

The most frustrating part of that particular example is that we weren't struggling to move the ball on the ground. There is no need to go into the heavy formation when we're running the ball effectively and we have two tight ends that we can split out wide.

Thankfully, I fully expect to see a performance more in line with Week 1 tomorrow evening. That is, as long as Flacco's ribs aren't too dinged to make plays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Exactly this. For example, there is no reason for this offense to go into a heavy formation with McKinnie in between the 20s. By getting into that personnel package, the offense is sending a notarized letter to the defense detailing exactly what is about to happen. It eliminates their ability to be multiple, and by eliminating their ability to be multiple, they sacrifice any hope of being dynamic.

The most frustrating part of that particular example is that we weren't struggling to move the ball on the ground. There is no need to go into the heavy formation when we're running the ball effectively and we have two tight ends that we can split out wide.

Thankfully, I fully expect to see a performance more in line with Week 1 tomorrow evening. That is, as long as Flacco's ribs aren't too dinged to make plays.
    Teams line up in jumbo packages all the time when they need short yardage. Even though everyone in that stadium knows what's coming. You have to be able to move the chains in those situations and it can't always be about trickery

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Teams line up in jumbo packages all the time when they need short yardage. Even though everyone in that stadium knows what's coming. You have to be able to move the chains in those situations and it can't always be about trickery
    Exactly. Football comes down to execution. Everyone can know that you are going to run it down their throat, but can the other team stop it is the question.