The NFLlost one innovator and visionary just a few weeks ago when Art Modell passedaway. This week, we lost yet another integral figure, NFL films co-founderSteve Sabol, without whom football would not be what it is today.
Sabol’spassing came mere days before his company would showcase the man who made“mic’ing” players up worthwhile.
RayLewis’ A Football Life was heartwarming.
I’mtold on a daily basis that I’m the luckiest Ravens fan people have ever met.Even though I try to stay as humble as humanly possible, I realize that I am.Being blessed with the opportunity to cover my favorite team, I’m afforded thebehind the scenes access that comes along with being a member of the media.
Watchingpractice, attending press conferences, and conducting player interviews in thelocker room are all moments that I’ll never forget.
Professionalismis key around a first-class organization like the Ravens and I abide by everyrule. The single hardest thing to do is keep my composure when I see Ray Lewiswalk by because I’ve idolized this man since I was a young boy. When he speaksto you, eye contact can’t be broken.
He’severy bit as intense, emotional, and charismatic as a leader as you’ve seen ontelevision every Sunday since 1996, and as was expertly portrayed on A Football Life.
Trustme – none of it is an “act” on his part.
Whenyou are a man most idolize, where do you turn for inspiration? For Lewis, heturns to those who overcame odds to just introduce themselves. Last night, wewere introduced to two Ravens fans - Sgt. 1st Class Alan Weisman, and Bill Warble from Dundalk.
Weismanwore Lewis’ jersey as inspiration in battle and was shot the one day he didn’twear it. He was awarded a Purple Heart and presented it to Lewis; the medal nowsits on Lewis’s nightstand.
Warble’sbond with Lewis came after he was diagnosed with a terminal form of cancer.Lewis learned much about himself and the value of life through Warble, who saidhe wouldn’t die until the Ravens won the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, Warblenever got to see Lewis hoist another Lombardi trophy, as he passed away earlierthis year.
Thestories of Weisman and Warble are just two of many countless similar instancesin Lewis’s life.
For me,one in particular stands out.

Duringtraining camp, Lewis walked over a child in a wheelchair named Sherman(pictured above). Before even saying hello, Lewis dropped to one knee, placedhis hands around Sherman’s head, kissed him on his forehead and then began topray.
Sherman’sreaction was priceless as he let out the loudest scream I’ve ever heard inexcitement.
It’smoments like this that give me goose bumps just while writing this story.
Duringhis interaction with Sherman, Lewis made sure to grab Ray Rice, the nextsuperstar in Baltimore and someone he’s been mentoring for years. The bondbetween these two players is something that many fans don’t get a chance towitness. Their lockers are placed next to each other and there isn’t a dayLewis doesn’t walk out to the field without Rice by his side.
“Raymond,”as Lewis calls Rice, is set to take over the community spotlight when Lewis’scareer culminates. Rice has made strong efforts in his relatively short careerto make sure his path doesn’t include any blemishes like the one Lewis wentthrough as a young man.
Rice’sinteraction in the community is Lewis-esque and his interaction with childrenis second to none.
CalRipken Jr. may be the first son of Baltimore, but Lewis has been adopted. Foras big of a fingerprint Lewis will leave on this city when it’s all said anddone, it’s fair to say that Lewis has adopted the city that has adopted him.
His onfield production doesn’t dictate it but Lewis’ career will end sooner ratherthan later. Baltimore – the city and the Ravens – will have to prepare to moveon.
Untilthen, cherish every moment you can with #52 while he’s here – you’ll never seeanyone like him ever again.

More...