Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Should Pitta be Joe's number 1 target?

Pitta will do fine. I wouldn't assess anything on the Philly game. It was a bad matchup for us.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    This offense will go nowhere fast if Pitta continues to see more looks than the rest of the receivers combined. That is NOT a knock on him, by the way.
    This offense will go nowhere fast if the receivers dont get separation and get open. They sure didnt get open in the 2H. Joe throws to Pitta b/c his height presents an open window even if he is covered well.

Flacco told reporters Wednesday there is no specific reason that Pitta is being targeted more, other than the fact that he’s open.

"It was a matter of me going through progressions and him maybe being the guy we're trying to target," Flacco said. "Or just going through and by the time I get to his point in the progression, he's open. I don't really know what to attribute that to."

Re: Pitta now #1 on depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Did anybody notice that Doss got out there for a play or two?
    Had his first NFL reception, IIRC. At least that's out of the way...

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    It will probably take him another two years (if he lasts that long) to figure out that Joe plays better from the shotgun (particularly with his current offensive line).
    We both know he will NEVER figure that out. Even after watching it work to perfection he won't figure it out.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    This offense will go nowhere fast if the receivers dont get separation and get open. They sure didnt get open in the 2H. Joe throws to Pitta b/c his height presents an open window even if he is covered well.
    Which is what I mean. Pitta can't be the focal point of a successful offense. The receivers have to get open and they have to be the ones driving the offense with Pitta making the big third down catches and red zone catches. If they can't do that and Pitta continues to be the only one getting passes thrown to him, for whatever reason that may be, the offense is going to stink.

Also have to remember that just because a guy looks covered, doesn't mean he is. This has been a supposed problem with Flacco in the past, he has to trust Boldin and Smith and believe they'll make a play at times too. You can't just throw the safe 2 yard pass to Pitta on third and 8 when Smith is in single coverage, even if the DB is step for step with him, give him a chance to make a play. Not suggesting he turn into Jay Cutler but at least give guys a chance to make a play.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Joe was in the shotgun for 37 out of 42 passes on Sunday.
    Paint, I think the point a few posters were making was that shotgun + sugar huddle = time at the line to read the defense, as well as tempo, confidence and momentum on offense.

In the second half, Joe was indeed in shotgun, but he was breaking from a conventional huddle, coming to the line with little if any time to audible and/or scan the defense, and also running conservative Cam Cameron crapola against defenders who weren't gassed and were holding.

The shotgun by itself isn't the cure to all ills; I think it really needs that sugar huddle to be successful. At Delaware Joe didn't huddle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Paint, I think the point a few posters were making was that shotgun + sugar huddle = time at the line to read the defense, as well as tempo, confidence and momentum on offense.

In the second half, Joe was indeed in shotgun, but he was breaking from a conventional huddle, coming to the line with little if any time to audible and/or scan the defense, and also running conservative Cam Cameron crapola against defenders who weren't gassed and were holding.

The shotgun by itself isn't the cure to all ills; I think it really needs that sugar huddle to be successful. At Delaware Joe didn't huddle.
    Agreed. They went hurry up for only 6 plays out of 65 snaps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post

This. Sorry thought it was clear. Just like the Indy offense, running no huddle, Peyton back in the gun reading the D and than calling the play. Give Joe a handfull of "advices" through his mike and than let him pick one based on what he see's. The D HAS to show you what it's going to do if you're all lined up ready to go as soon as the previous play is over.

This of course is easier at home, AND we saw it ALOT in week 1. Think the problem is, Cam and Co were scared to let it play out on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Think the problem is, Cam and Co were scared to let it play out on the road.
    That's been one of the biggest problems with this team the last few years. The coaches abandon things that work because of the circumstances, the stage, the opponent. Adjustments are warranted every game, of course, but "scared" may be the perfect word.

The last game I truly remember thinking, 'Wow, we are staying true to ourselves and beating them senseless just by doing that' was probably the Pats game in Foxboro four years ago. We also played within ourselves in the AFCCG in January, just two chokers messed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Which is what I mean. Pitta can't be the focal point of a successful offense. The receivers have to get open and they have to be the ones driving the offense with Pitta making the big third down catches and red zone catches. If they can't do that and Pitta continues to be the only one getting passes thrown to him, for whatever reason that may be, the offense is going to stink.

Also have to remember that just because a guy looks covered, doesn't mean he is. This has been a supposed problem with Flacco in the past, he has to trust Boldin and Smith and believe they'll make a play at times too. You can't just throw the safe 2 yard pass to Pitta on third and 8 when Smith is in single coverage, even if the DB is step for step with him, give him a chance to make a play. Not suggesting he turn into Jay Cutler but at least give guys a chance to make a play.
    The problem with this verison of scab NFL with blantant DB holding allowed, there is no such thing as a timing route. The receivers are just not gonna be at the spot where the QB anticipates. Joe's timing on an out route is almost impeccable now, but in the 2H he was off b/c the Eagles were blantantly holding up our receivers. It was pure bullshit. He's gonna be gunshy throwing the ball if a game is similarly officiated with the DB's having carte blanche.

Sorry for the history lesson but its applicable here...
    The Eagles basically ran the early 70s Steelers D with their Mel Blount like DBs mugging our receivers. Thats why Bill Walsh as the Bengals OC created the West Coast Offense to attack that Steelers defense with quick shallow crosses, rub routes, quick slants, etc so their receivers could get open without the DBs mauling them. Cam could have helped out in the 2H by mixing in those type of effective plays against a press man. Cam is Cam, unfortunately, and he is horrible at game time adjustments. He always has the convenient excuse of execution, and if you listen to the players interviews, they are brainwashed in believing it. Metaphorically, I liken Cam's offensive scheme against press man to a half court shot. The probability of success is slim but we are still gonna stubbornly try it. After the miss, ultimately the EXECUTION is still the culprit for the failure, even though we disregarded the near impossible level of execution needed for a success.
    Last edited by ravensnhokies; 09-20-2012 at 03:42 PM.