Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarance Brooks

Blog Entries

Clarance Brooks

Not saying I want Pees out or anything here because of one bad called game. But I am interested to know what style Brooks would have bought into the defense if he was made DC. Is he a ballsy Rex Ryan type, or a vanilla Mattison type? I know that it was between him and Pees for the job, and Pees got the nod, probably because of his experience advantage being the Patriots DC.

Blog Entries

Re: Clarance Brooks

We all like to think that Brooks would be just like Rex but the reality is there is no way to know. Brooks has always been a D-line coach and those D-lines have always produced and that's not just while he's been with the Ravens. I remember his Dolphin line signing and old Trace Armstrong and all of sudden becoming a 50 sack defense with Armstrong and Taylor into double digits. Brooks can get pressure from D-lineman which is why he reminds everyone of Rex who was the Ravens D-line coach before Brooks.

I had been hoping that Brooks would become the DC ever since Rex left but it's obvious after being passed over so many times that's not going to happen. At this point he might be the only Billick coach left on the team which is maybe the reason why. At least he hasn't looked to go somewhere else.

Blog Entries

Brooks has been up for the job since Rex he never got a shot, i wonder why though? You would think other guys that had left to be head coaches would take Brooks with them if they thought he would make a good DC. He couldn't be any worse than Mattison and what we have seen from Pees the last 2 games probably will dictate what the defense will be this season he can't be any worse than that. somebody will give him a shot eventually and I think he's going to be an awesome DC.

I personally have not been impressed with Pees so far looking at week 1 and 2. I'm not seeing any real creativity and aggresiveness and I read our defense is ranked #27? Not surprising. I hope Clarence Brooks will get a shot at some point. Maybe he has looked elsewhere for a DC job but just hasn't gotten his lucky break. He certainly can't do any worse than Pees. Honestly, it was a sad day for the Ravens when Pagano left and we need someone who can bring his same style to our D. I don't think Pees is the guy but I hope he proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Brooks has been up for the job since Rex he never got a shot, i wonder why though? You would think other guys that had left to be head coaches would take Brooks with them if they thought he would make a good DC. He couldn't be any worse than Mattison and what we have seen from Pees the last 2 games probably will dictate what the defense will be this season he can't be any worse than that. somebody will give him a shot eventually and I think he's going to be an awesome DC.
    If he really wanted a shot he would have left after being passed over a few times here. I'm guessing he's a guy who's older and content with where he is. A lot of guys don't want the responsibility of a D-Coordinator.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    If he really wanted a shot he would have left after being passed over a few times here. I'm guessing he's a guy who's older and content with where he is. A lot of guys don't want the responsibility of a D-Coordinator.
    You're probably right. Guys in their 60s rarely become 1st time coordinators or head coaches.
    Last edited by GOTA; 09-19-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Blog Entries

you probably right, he's probably pretty happy with where he's at.

Blog Entries

....or the Ravens have blocked him from other opportunities. Teams have done it to them when they've tried to hire guys.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    ....or the Ravens have blocked him from other opportunities. Teams have done it to them when they've tried to hire guys.
    And we usually hear about it in the media. We haven't heard a peep about it. And why would we be blocking people from taking him? To make him DC? Apparently not.

I'm just going to just tell it like it is:

Pees doesn't have the Defensive Player of the Year, that makes a huge difference especially for a new defensive coordinator. Pees can try to be creative but if guys like Upshaw and others aren't doing their part then it's going to be harder on Pees.

Mattison had Foxworth, Carr, Washington, Walker as his primary corners in 2009 and 2010.

Rex is great but you saw how bad the Jets defense looked on Sunday without Revis, Rex looks a whole lot better when he has corners who can play press man to man coverage.

You can try to be creative but if the players don't execute it doesn't matter in the end. Most of you guys take the easy route by blaming the coaches for everything, players still have to execute too.

Some coaches are better with highly talented players instead of turning scrap parts into gold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    I'm just going to just tell it like it is:

Pees doesn't have the Defensive Player of the Year, that makes a huge difference especially for a new defensive coordinator. Pees can try to be creative but if guys like Upshaw and others aren't doing their part then it's going to be harder on Pees.

Mattison had Foxworth, Carr, Washington, Walker as his primary corners in 2009 and 2010.

Rex is great but you saw how bad the Jets defense looked on Sunday without Revis, Rex looks a whole lot better when he has corners who can play press man to man coverage.

You can try to be creative but if the players don't execute it doesn't matter in the end. Most of you guys take the easy route by blaming the coaches for everything, players still have to execute too.

Some coaches are better with highly talented players instead of turning scrap parts into gold.
    Thing is, Upshaw and McClellan are executing. They looked really good when Pees while dialing up blitzes, and both had really good games. Vick was torching us when we where just doing 3 men rush.

Blog Entries

And we usually hear about it in the media. We haven't heard a peep about it. And why would we be blocking people from taking him? To make him DC? Apparently not.
    To become a line coach with another team that will give him a better chance of moving up. By the way, we haven't heard about all of the coaches that the Ravens have been blocked from speaking with either.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore