Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What is this team's identity?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    True. But we don't sniff the playoffs without Rice.
    But we don't sniff the Super Bowl without being able to pass better and not rely on Rice so much. The reality is that while we've criticized Joe for his playoff statistics, Rice's haven't been much better. He's only had one game in the playoffs where he's gone off. One. He has to deal with the offensive line's run blocking, Joe has to deal with their pass protection and the WRs. If the criticism is good enough for Joe, I think it is good enough for Rice as well.

The past two playoff appearances have shown us that nobody is going to let Rice run all over them anymore. Sunday's game showed us that when the pass became a bigger threat, Rice became a more dangerous player running the ball. When it was clear that they were going to run the ball, Rice wasn't as effective.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    But we don't sniff the Super Bowl without being able to pass better and not rely on Rice so much. The reality is that while we've criticized Joe for his playoff statistics, Rice's haven't been much better. He's only had one game in the playoffs where he's gone off. One. He has to deal with the offensive line's run blocking, Joe has to deal with their pass protection and the WRs. If the criticism is good enough for Joe, I think it is good enough for Rice as well.

The past two playoff appearances have shown us that nobody is going to let Rice run all over them anymore. Sunday's game showed us that when the pass became a bigger threat, Rice became a more dangerous player running the ball. When it was clear that they were going to run the ball, Rice wasn't as effective.
    Sure. Sadly, the passing game was similarly ineffective.

I'm at the point where I've just accepted that this offense is the football equivalent of a magic 8-ball. There's no rhyme or reason to it. The highs are gonna be high and the lows LOW. Let's just hope for more highs...

Blog Entries

But we don't get into position to contend for the Super Bowl without Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Yeah we lose one game and all of a sudden we are losers. "Identity" is bullshit. Every game presents a different challenge and a team has to be able to adapt. Win at any cost. This team was built to win any type of game.

Identity isn't the issue. In game adjustments are the problem. I know we had the personnel to beat the defense in the second half. (We did)
    Best post in all 3 pages of this thread so far.

This team needs to be able to adapt and be a runningteam when the situation calls for it and a passing team when that's what the defense and the situation they are playing in is most susceptible to. This team is built offensively to do both well( for the first time in a LONG time). Defensively they will get better, but they aren't going to have to be as good as the 49er's or Houston because the Ravens O should be much better than either of theirs.

Blog Entries

I don't know, the 49er offense does not suck.

Quote Originally Posted by cbaywolf View Post
    :grbac:

C'mon man... That's not even close to accurate. Joe threw a TD pass that was dropped which *probably* caused us the AFC Championship game. The FG kicker missed a chip shot- that also cost us a chance to tie/win the Championship- but lack of identity isn't even in the top 10 reasons of why we lost this one game. Once again, it was bad execution on 2 plays that would have turned the tide. It was Joe not leading Torrey on a long pass where he had his man easily beat. Not whether we envisioned ourselves as a smash-mouth team or a passing team, or some other BS reasoning of how we should be moving the ball.
    I think you misunderstood me. You're saying exactly what I was saying: "Identity" is nothing. Winning is the goal, and complaining about a lack of "identity" is something you do if and only if you lose. It's armchair psychiatry foolishness.

If one thing isn't working - or you think it won't work - you try another thing. If nothing works you lose. It's that simple.

It may be the coach sucks too, but identity has nothing to do with it.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    But we don't get into position to contend for the Super Bowl without Rice.
    Last year, yes. However, this year, Rice amount of 'carries' has decreased and the team should still be 2-0 to start the season, against two good teams. The OPI call is what really did them in. That TD ends the game and this offense, despite a somewhat sloppy performance, would have put up 27 against one of the best defenses in the league, on the road, without Rice carrying it, what, fifteen times? Last year, that would have been a 13 point performance at best.

They left the passing offense on the backburner last year, before suddenly calling upon it to play lights out and win for them in the playoffs when Rice was stopped. Now, they are trying to improve it early on to avoid similar disasters. I like the approach.

Now, should Rice have been given a few more carries on those third and shorts, I can't really argue against that, but Rice was breaking off double the YPC when they were in the Sugar Huddle.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I actually think that this team's identity is clear

I think this teams identity is clear ... on both sides of the ball.

Defensively, again, this is a blitz pressure, press coverage defense. Perhaps, the loss of Suggs has left the coaching staff with some lost confidence in its front seven, leading to the off-coverage on the back end. However, other than during Mattison's tenure, this has been the Raven's identity since Marvin left. Be who you are. Cary and Jimmy are best utilized in the press. That's why Cary looked better last year. Be who you are. You have young, potentially good pass rushers in your front seven. What better way to help them than with the blitz. Be who you are.

Offensively, THIS IS A SUGAR HUDDLE OFFENSE.. The Sugar huddle doesn't have to be run with the 4-wide. They can keep Leach on the field more and still run it from the I, whether it is three wide, two-wide/one TE or two TE. However, don't abandon who you are when things get tough. Believe in what you are doing. They could have still attacked, in rapid succession, with the run, and kept Philadelphia from substituting.

I actually think that the team's identity if clear. It's just that, every now and then, they'll get nervous and abandon who they are. Last year I agree that the offense didn't have a true identity. This year, it is clearly the Sugar Huddle, whether they are running or passing. Seriously, Rice was popping ten a carry out of the singleback 3/4-wide.

Stay true to who you are and you will be fine, on both sides of the ball, especially the offense (Did I just say that?)
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 09-20-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: I actually think that this team's identity is clear

I think it's gonna help that New Englands O line is awful, especially the interior. Will make the D look much better.
    At home they can stay in the sugar huddle much more effectively

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

What I meant when I posted this thread was that it just seems like the team isn't sure about what it is that they do really well and if they did know, would they do it?

When I watched the team play the Eagles - especially the offense - I saw two completely different schemes and mindsets and it really does beg the question about whether or not there is some indecisiveness within the coaching staff.

It is an odd situation, IMO.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I think this teams identity is clear ... on both sides of the ball.

Defensively, again, this is a blitz pressure, press coverage defense. Perhaps, the loss of Suggs has left the coaching staff with some lost confidence in its front seven, leading to the off-coverage on the back end. However, other than during Mattison's tenure, this has been the Raven's identity since Marvin left. Be who you are. Cary and Jimmy are best utilized in the press. That's why Cary looked better last year. Be who you are. You have young, potentially good pass rushers in your front seven. What better way to help them than with the blitz. Be who you are.

Offensively, THIS IS A SUGAR HUDDLE OFFENSE.. The Sugar huddle doesn't have to be run with the 4-wide. They can keep Leach on the field more and still run it from the I, whether it is three wide, two-wide/one TE or two TE. However, don't abandon who you are when things get tough. Believe in what you are doing. They could have still attacked, in rapid succession, with the run, and kept Philadelphia from substituting.

I actually think that the team's identity if clear. It's just that, every now and then, they'll get nervous and abandon who they are. Last year I agree that the offense didn't have a true identity. This year, it is clearly the Sugar Huddle, whether they are running or passing. Seriously, Rice was popping ten a carry out of the singleback 3/4-wide.

Stay true to who you are and you will be fine, on both sides of the ball, especially the offense (Did I just say that?)
    Wishful thinking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Wishful thinking.
    Agreed.

To me, having an identity means you know what you're good at, you know what you're not good at, and you try to utilize the things that you are good at to exploit the discovered weaknesses in the opponent.

The first half of the Eagles game, they did that. The 2nd half (for whatever reason) they seemingly played right into the Eagle's strengths.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.