Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: What is this team's identity?

I also like the no-huddle, but would have definitely liked to see a little less shot-gun at times, to at least make them respect the play-action, and not be able to tee-off on the snap count. and I wouldn't have been opposed to running on the 3rd down at the end of the game at 3rd and 2. But that whole guard slapping Burke's ass is just stupid, and gives the D way too much of an advantage.

Split personality apparently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They're going in the complete opposite direction of that.
    Exactly. Including the winning.

Quote Originally Posted by cbaywolf View Post
    I think "Identity" is just something for talking heads to pontificate upon. If we're good at running and throwing the ball, why does one or the other need to be our identity? .
    I agree. "Identity" is an abstract concept that really doesn't mean anything. Is their offense inherently better if the Ravens are a self-defined "power run team?" Are they not allowed to be good in short yardage situations if they pass the ball a lot? Why can't they do both?

If you're an NFL team your offensive identity should be "plays that win games."

Blog Entries

Anyone who thinks the 49ers can't win the SB with the way they've been playing now should clear their minds from all that "passing offenses win SB's nothing else" crap.

The 49ers beat the Packers in Lambeu field and are the best team in the NFL right now. If you can beat the Packers, I'm pretty sure you can beat anyone in the league. They were also one special team fuck up away from making the SB this year. The Ravens playing in a similar style were also one play away from making the SB, and BTW already have won a SB playing the way they used to be playing.

I'm not saying we should go back and just run the ball as much as we used to. But Cam needs to find a happy medium between the two. And that's not running the ball on first and second downs, then going into the shotgun on 3rd and shorts. I've never in my whole life seen such illogical play calling as that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    To be fair, so is almost the entire league. Not sold that you can win a Superbowl in today's NFL playing like the niners.
    No one's be able to do it since they started changing the rules to pump up passing. For us old timers though it's nice to see. The 49ers and Texans are the only teams running that heavy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Anyone who thinks the 49ers can't win the SB with the way they've been playing now should clear their minds from all that "passing offenses win SB's nothing else" crap.

The 49ers beat the Packers in Lambeu field and are the best team in the NFL right now. If you can beat the Packers, I'm pretty sure you can beat anyone in the league. They were also one special team fuck up away from making the SB this year. The Ravens playing in a similar style were also one play away from making the SB, and BTW already have won a SB playing the way they used to be playing.

I'm not saying we should go back and just run the ball as much as we used to. But Cam needs to find a happy medium between the two. And that's not running the ball on first and second downs, then going into the shotgun on 3rd and shorts. I've never in my whole life seen such illogical play calling as that.
    The Patriots went 16-0 in the regular season and still couldn't win the Super Bowl. The league makes it very tough to be a run first team and win a championship. Passing = ratings and they're doing everything they can to slant the rules against teams like the 49ers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Like Raven 555 said, its up to the HC to put his stamp on the team. Mighty Men jackets and swords and shovels aside, Harbaugh has yet to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Exactly. Including the winning.
    Yeah we lose one game and all of a sudden we are losers. "Identity" is bullshit. Every game presents a different challenge and a team has to be able to adapt. Win at any cost. This team was built to win any type of game.

Identity isn't the issue. In game adjustments are the problem. I know we had the personnel to beat the defense in the second half. (We did)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Yeah we lose one game and all of a sudden we are losers. "Identity" is bullshit. Every game presents a different challenge and a team has to be able to adapt. Win at any cost. This team was built to win any type of game.

Identity isn't the issue. In game adjustments are the problem. I know we had the personnel to beat the defense in the second half. (We did)
    In game adjustments become a little easier when you know who you are and what you do best. Passing out of the shotgun to 2 yard out routes is not what we do best.

Quote Originally Posted by cbaywolf View Post
    FYI- people want to point to last game and say "the ravens stopped pounding the ball in the 2nd half" when actually Ray got more carries in that half. Philly just started shutting him down, and taking that away.

That's not entirely accurate. Yes he got more carries in the 2nd half but it's how/when he got those carries. When he's averaging 9 ypc in the 1st half and the first 8 plays (and 12 of the first 15) of the 2nd half are pass plays something is wrong. In fact Ray didn't even get his first carry till their 3rd possession. Philly started shutting him down later in the 2nd half because when the Ravens did run there was no deception. The reason running the ball worked so well in the 1st half is because the Eagles were on their heels playing pass. In the 2nd half when the Ravens finally started running the ball they used a lot of jumbo formations. Of course Philly got better against the run at that point. If the Ravens line up in a jumbo formation Stevie Wonder could play LB for the Eagles and know they are going to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    In game adjustments become a little easier when you know who you are and what you do best. Passing out of the shotgun to 2 yard out routes is not what we do best.
    Judging from last year short yardage runs were not what we did best either. We were pretty bad at that.