Let’s avoid the clichés, because there are a number of other places onthe web to read how:
Theofficials had difficulty spotting the ball, did not know the proper distance onoffensive pass interference, and simply called a weak, inconsistent game
TheRavens pass defense is in shambles (which I don’t believe to be true).
With thenumber of quality QBs the Ravens will face this season, they are in big trouble(again, I would not infer this from Sunday’s result).
To summarize Sunday’s loss, I’d say the Ravens faced a QB (and offense)who poses some significant and unique challenges that dictated the Ravensabandon much of what typically makes them successful. They played primarily zone coverage and employed vanillarush schemes. Despite batteringVick physically and containing him as a runner, he consistently threw strikesunder heavy pressure and ran for the winning score.
The zone defense was beaten worse than I have ever seen before. In part this was a device to containVick and McCoy who will find and exploit open areas of the field, but Vick hadan accurate passing day and the Ravens had no answer for Brent Celek or DeseanJackson in that scheme.
Reviewing the video, I find 10 QHs (times the QB is knocked downpassing) with 2 others to be checked from the coaches’ video. It’s difficult to find fault with adefense that drops the QB 10 times in 34 drop backs. However, Pees did not make use of the Eagles’ OL injuries torush the passer, something that would have been difficult for the Eagles topick up. Specifically, the Ravensneeded another rusher up the middle with his hands up. They tried 1 cross blitz which resultedin a sack (Q3, 4:11). That was oneof only 3 deceptive pass rushes as I score them. They rushed 3 or 4 on 26 of 34 drop backs and 6 only twice.
Is the result ominous for the remainder of the season?
No, I don’t believe so. There isn’t another offense that can dictate the zone like the Eaglesand while there are a number of teams that can dictate the nickel with 3quality receivers, that’s the Ravens greatest defensive strength.
The Eagles had 73 competitive snaps (excluding 2 kneels):
Overall:
Versus the Run: 39 plays, 129 yards, 3.3 YPC
Versus the Pass: 34 plays, 357 yards, 4.7 YPP
Overall: 73 plays, 486 yards, 6.7 YPPA
By number of defensive backs:
3 DBs: 4 plays, 3 yards, 0.8 YPP, 1 TO
4 DBs: 34/185, 5.4 YPPA, 1 TO
5 DBs: 39/298, 7.6 YPPA, 2 sacks, 2 TO
6 DBs+: None
By number of pass rushers:
3: 7 plays, 76 yards, 10.9 YPP, 1 TO
4: 19/208, 10.9 YPP, 1 sack, 1 TO
5: 6/63, 10.5 YPP, 1 sack
6: 2/10, 5.0 YPP
7: None
IndividualNotes
Courtney Upshawdelivered a fine performance with some pressure. He got up from a cut block by McCoy to level Vick on the Eagles’2nd play (Q1, 14:22), beat Dunlap to create the pressure that led toVick’s first interception (Q1, 10:22), delivered the punishing blow onPollard’s sack of Vick (Q1, 0:09, no QH awarded), had good pressure on Vick’sTD roll left (Q3, 10:46), beat Bell inside to tackle of McCoy for a loss of 4(Q4, 2:49), and generally held his edge well including, for example, containingBrown’s stretch right (Q1, 1:30). He was credited with 6 tackles. In the midst of a bad result, it’s a big positive to have a player emergeat a position of need.
Theinjury to Pollard was a big loss,but Vick and Celek had already been beating the Ravens’ zone when he wasremoved. Pollard had aninterception and a sack among 4 tackles before leaving with a rib injurysuffered on his sack. That’s thekind of day it was for the Ravens. They knocked down Vick 10 times and the only one who got hurt wasPollard! James Ihedigbo replaced Pollard and was part of the breakdown inzone coverage.
Ngata turned in another outstandingperformance, but played 65 of the 73 snaps. I don’t expect he can maintain 90% of snap counts for anentire season. He delivered 3jarring QHs:
(Q1,7:51) Vick got the ball off to Celek for a gain of 19
(Q3,9:24) Vick’s pass was batted down by Kemo
(Q4,2:00) Vick rolled the ball forward off his fingertips for an incomplete thatcould have been ruled intentional grounding.
Ngata also drew a holding penaltyon Dunlap (Q1, 8:57) that negated an 8-yard run. He had just 2 tackles, but frequently required 2 blockersand maintained his position when the Eagles ran.
McPhee dialed up good pressure andcontributed 3 tackles. He had a QHon Lewis’ PD (Q2, 12:11), face-planted Vick when he beat Herremans to theinside (Q4, 9:44), and drew a holding penalty on Mathis (Q4, 9:54). His run results were mixed but I notedPernell forced McCoy’s 20-yard run right. Once there, Smith missed a tackle near the LoS and Ihedigbo failed topush him out of bounds 10 yards up field. McPhee worked off Watkins to deliver a big stick on McCoy to hold him toa gain of 3 (Q2, 0:33). He hadanother impressive tackle from the ground (Q3, 13:30).
McClellan impacted a number ofplays:
He heldthe edge well versus Celek as McCoy was stopped for a gain of 2 (Q1, 13:52)
Hecleaned up on Cary Williams initialcontact to take down Jackson for a loss of 2 on a screen left (Q1, 13:12)
He wasinitially blocked by Harbor (Q1, 9:34), but slipped off to clean up when Webband Reed turned the play back
Hecovered the fumbled exchange from Vick to McCoy (Q2, 10:09)
He heldthe right edge well to force McCoy back inside where McClain missed anopportunity to take him down for little or no gain (Q2, 4:48)
He had aquick takedown in coverage of Havili on a short pass between the hashes (Q3,12:56) for a gain of 4
Hepenetrated past Dunlap to take down McCoy for a loss of 2 (Q3, 10:12)
He had aPD and near interception which on Vick’s short pass to Celek (Q3, 6:18)
He had aQH (Q4, 9:55) on a play where Vick got the ball away very late that wasnullified when the Ravens accepted the holding penalty on Mathis.
A list this long his typicallybeen something attributed to Lewis or Suggs.
Arthur Jones wasactive in 28 snaps. His roughingthe passer flag wasn’t low, but was probably late. He made a diving trip to drop McCoy for no gain (Q1,8:30). He drew a holding penaltyon Bell as he penetrated to blow up McCoy’s run for no gain (Q3, 1:03).
McClain and Ellerbe normallyplatoon at ILB (Jack), with Jameel the primary 2-down LB and Ellerbe in forpassing situations. On Sunday theyplayed 14 snaps together. Jameellined up several times in a 3-point stance, something he did effectively as arookie, but has done infrequently since. Jameel had a QH on the Eagles’ first offensive play (Q1, 15:00). He would collect another (Q4, 9:40)when he outmuscled Havili, pulled up, yet still knocked Vick down with hischest. He had a difficult day inrun defense including a missed tackle
How to confuse correlation with causation 101: It’s good to see the defense gettingturnovers regularly even if the offense can’t convert. One of the statistics which used toshow up regularly in the Ravens media release was the team’s record in gameswhen they have a turnover margin of +2 or more. Since 2000 and prior to Sunday, they were 58-1 in such gamesin the regular season, but Sunday bucked the trend as the Ravens won the TObattle 4-2. In the vast majorityof games, teams generate turnovers because they win, they don’t win becausethey generate turnovers. Unfortunately, the 58-1 mark also excluded the Ravens loss in lastyear’s AFCC.
A loss like this always puts me in a mind to take stock. Right now, the Ravens’ defenders can beclearly divided into 4 groups:
Veteran stars: Lewis, Ngata,Pollard, Reed, Webb, Suggs (when active)
Potential stars (with current playing time): Jimmy Smith, McPhee, Upshaw, McClellan
Playing a role (most well): Cody, Kemoeatu, Ellerbe, McClain, Cary Williams, Arthur Jones, Kruger
Role not large enough to warrant discussion at this point: Ayanbadejo, Hall, Kindle, Brown, Considine,Graham, Ihedigbo, Jackson, Thompson, Tyson
Players in the latter group are primarily core special teams performers. Asa Jackson is the most likely to emergeas a star. The player most likelyto drop in class is clearly Kindle. In fact, Kruger’s current injury may be saving him because Sergio’s playSunday coupled with the emergence of Upshaw and play of McClellan have put hisjob in jeopardy.
Most of the role players have limited hope to become stars with theexceptions of Williams and Jones. In the other cases it’s a matter of age or specialization.
McPhee has already played close to a full season at a star level, so Iunderstand folks that say he should be there now. He’s been an outstanding inside pass rusher, but he needs toplay more snaps like the others, display just adequate (or slightly below)ability as a run defender, and maintain the quality of his pass rush. Smith showed plenty last year and I’dbe surprised if he isn’t one of the players around whom the Ravens build theirdefense. Upshaw fills a huge needplayed very well Sunday.
That said, McClellan is the fascinating one.
He’s played well in every scrap of playing time he’s been offered, whichreminds me a lot of Jameel McClain, but he’ll have a tough time supplantingeither Suggs or Upshaw when both are healthy. Can he return to play ILB effectively or be a swingman? I don’t see why not, and ILB will be aposition where the Ravens need to get younger. That’s not because of Ray (his age seems almost irrelevant),but because Ayanbadejo is 36 (and not playing defense), Ellerbe and McClain arenow earning market value, and difficult cap decisions loom.

More...