Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Billick calls out Flacco for comments

For what it's worth, on Pardon the Interruption both Wilbon and Kornheiser side with Flacco.

While they both agree that "the messenger" is suspect, because Joe could/should have just driven down the field to win, they also both agree that "the message" is 100% correct: there was no OPI, the touchdown should have counted, the refs are awful scabs.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    Its funny how noone ever calls out Ray Lewis when he talks about the refs every game. Just a reason to pile on Flacco as usual.
    I actually have to agree to an extent. I don't defend Joe for speaking out but the media is always looking for something from him to keep building that mountain from a mole hill or completely take things out of context. For this reason, when they bait him, he should just decline to answer. I know that's hard to do when your emotions are still raw but these media assclowns are vipers looking to strike and Joe has always been their favorite target.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Basically said it could have gone either way.
    And that is where the problem lies here...... Consistency.

Does it come off looking like sour grapes? ...... Pretty much.

But with that being said, Flacco IS right in the message he was trying to say.

You have the best in the world making big freakin bucks in a gazillion dollar industry playing in these games.
    There are huge bucks being forked over by the fans to watch these games that expect to have the best of the best on the field officiating these games.

Right now, these cats they're running out there aren't even close which indeed affects the integrity of the game which is unacceptable.

Flacco ain't the only one calling this bullshit what it is.
    Seems since the onset of the pre-season this has been a topic of discussion nation wide with different coaches or players speaking up.

Back to the consistency I mentioned earlier and that call that IMO should not have been made.

It's kind of like umpiring in baseball.

Once the umpire establishes the strikezone it needs to stay that way.
    You can't have high strikes being called balls at one point of the game, and then turn around later and change it.

DBs for Philly were grabbing all game and most of it was ignored or called wrong.
    Guys were arm checking and fighting for the ball all game with little to no input from the officials.

Technically was it OPI? Probably so but as mentioned, the DB never really turned around for the ball and was pushing and shoving with Jacoby Jones the whole time as well.

To use a Billick word here... the prudent thing to do would have been a non call at all that would have stayed somewhat consistent with the rest of the way the WR/DB interaction was being handled and NOT called for most of the game.

That in Flaccos opinion is what he is saying by messing with the integrity of the game and I and many others agree.

With that being said....
    That ain't what cost us that game, but it certainly has it's hand in the outcome.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Funny how Dungy, Pereira, and now Billick have all said the penalty was legit yet some still can't accept it ....
    ... and Dungy's studio partner Rodney Harrison said he would be grabbing and holding all day long because the officials aren't calling anything correctly. So there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    ... and Dungy's studio partner Rodney Harrison said he would be grabbing and holding all day long because the officials aren't calling anything correctly. So there you go.
    Saw that too... and.. sadly, I agree with him....

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    You have the best in the world making big freakin bucks in a gazillion dollar industry playing in these games.
    There are huge bucks being forked over by the fans to watch these games that expect to have the best of the best on the field officiating these games.

Right now, these cats they're running out there aren't even close which indeed affects the integrity of the game which is unacceptable..

If its so unacceptable then vote with your feet.

The owners know you won't so they have the regular refs right where they want them. Sure people are grumbling and complaining, but not really any more so than on a regular Sunday. Pretty much just the losers. I didn't hear anything about the officiating last week.

No one is going to stop watching football because of the replacement refs. So the regular refs either cave, or they never get their job back.

I think Joe's point was that they were letting the Eagle dbs get away with all kinds of pulling, grabbing and holding all game.........and then called a tacky PI on Jones at crunch time. Even if he wasn't inbounds, and that is possible, the call is what it was.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Sorry, but I can't take too seriously the comments of someone who works for the NFL's version of Pravda when he criticises someone (in this case Flacco, but it could be anyone) essentially criticising his paymasters.

The real reason Flacco's comments are getting such scrutiny is because the Ravens lost. However, it wouldn't have surprised me if they had still been made if we'd won as it really is becoming a joke.

Joe's full comments also discuss the physicality of the game. Eagles DBs realized they could get away with being more physical than usual, so they did everything they could to disrupt the Ravens offense.

Flacco was alluding to the refs not calling PI's consistently. Why call OPI in the endzone when DPI was occurring during the whole route? That would frustrate anyone.

Billick has a case, though. Flacco's maddening 2nd half performance made my stomach turn. This guy needs someone to stay in his ear constantly to keep him focused, sharp, and ready to play.
    After 5 years of early exits, the journey is finally complete.

Love Flacco for speaking his mind, Those that disagree have that right, but to say Flacco is whining , when everyone who watched MNF knows that what Joe said is right. Whatever fallout that happens, so be it, but the officiating is making the NFL look real bad. Billick, dungy and others have to toe the company line because the make money representing it. Flacco may not show the emotion like some want, but he is smart enough to know that the game he plays and loves is stinking up the place with replacement refs. This is the type of player the NFL needs, not the bounty hunters,the thugs, or prima donnas. Those that love football hate to see what is happening to the games.
    If Flacco was hurt on the first play of the second half as mentioned, I say that could have cause his throws to be slightly off. No one has officially said Flacco had sore ribs, but it would affect his play. Billick has a job to do and can say what he wants. Remember this is billick who couldn't develop a QB for the ravens and missed several more chances to play in the SB because of his inability to find a franchise QB.
    Lets see how the refs and Flacco do this sunday night. Losing last sunday was hard, but the players gave us an exciting game to watch. Really loved it when the game extended in the steelers playing time. Thanks replacement refs for screwing up with ball placement and bad calls.
    Last edited by lovefootball; 09-18-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Did Billick called out Aaron Rodgers when he complained about the scabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Sorry, but I can't take too seriously the comments of someone who works for the NFL's version of Pravda when he criticises someone (in this case Flacco, but it could be anyone) essentially criticising his paymasters.

The real reason Flacco's comments are getting such scrutiny is because the Ravens lost. However, it wouldn't have surprised me if they had still been made if we'd won as it really is becoming a joke.
    If Joe was going to say it, I wish it would have been AFTER A WIN so it didn't look like sour grapes/sore loser talk. If you win the game and say it, it has more merit and substance. I will say this, I'm actually surprised at how little bashing I'm seeing on Flacco for it but I think it's because everyone knows what he said was 100% correct and true....he just said it at the worst time (right after a painful loss).