Filmstudy: Defensive Analysis

Another great job by film

Link

To summarize Sunday’s loss, I’d say the Ravens faced a QB (and offense) who poses some significant and unique challenges that dictated the Ravens abandon much of what typically makes them successful. They played primarily zone coverage and employed vanilla rush schemes. Despite battering Vick physically and containing him as a runner, he consistently threw strikes under heavy pressure and ran for the winning score.

The zone defense was beaten worse than I have ever seen before. In part this was a device to contain Vick and McCoy who will find and exploit open areas of the field, but Vick had an accurate passing day and the Ravens had no answer for Brent Celek or Desean Jackson in that scheme.
    This game seemed like a bad matchup all around, I have to think one of the reasons Celek had such a good game is because the LB's didn't want to get to much depth lest Vick run for easy first downs. Knowing that not many teams present this sort of challenge and hopefully having Kruger back makes me optimistic things will get better.

That said, McClellan is the fascinating one.

He’s played well in every scrap of playing time he’s been offered, which reminds me a lot of Jameel McClain, but he’ll have a tough time supplanting either Suggs or Upshaw when both are healthy. Can he return to play ILB effectively or be a swingman? I don’t see why not, and ILB will be a position where the Ravens need to get younger. That’s not because of Ray (his age seems almost irrelevant), but because Ayanbadejo is 36 (and not playing defense), Ellerbe and McClain are now earning market value, and difficult cap decisions loom.
    I'm really excited to see McClellan continue to get more meaningful snaps and reading up on him I didn't realize how good he was in college as an All-American and C-USA DPOY.

Re: Filmstudy: Defensive Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post

This game seemed like a bad matchup all around, I have to think one of the reasons Celek had such a good game is because the LB's didn't want to get to much depth lest Vick run for easy first downs. Knowing that not many teams present this sort of challenge and hopefully having Kruger back makes me optimistic things will get better.

This. It was a very tough matchup for the ILBs in particular. Most of the damage was done between the numbers and over the heads of the ILBs. The Ravens had one pick on such a play and nearly had a 2nd by McClellan.

But, as you can say about most close NFL games, it was a game where winning 1 more play on several different occasions would have won the game.

Blog Entries

The defense has a much better match up this week against the Pats. I think Brady will be seeing some exotic blitzes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    The defense has a much better match up this week against the Pats. I think Brady will be seeing some exotic blitzes.
    and the home crowd will cooperate with the noise levels. Should be much different this weekend

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The defense played poorly because they employed a bad scheme against the Eagles. Vanilla rush schemes is not the way to defeat Vick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    This. It was a very tough matchup for the ILBs in particular. Most of the damage was done between the numbers and over the heads of the ILBs. The Ravens had one pick on such a play and nearly had a 2nd by McClellan.

But, as you can say about most close NFL games, it was a game where winning 1 more play on several different occasions would have won the game.
    What worries me this week is that the Patriots also like to pass between the numbers. They even sign KWII so they can don't have to adjust that system with Hernandez out. Obviously they don't have to worry about Brady running but the coverage in that part of the field better be much improved this week.

The run threat from Vick and mccoy forced the lbs up in a way almost no one can.
    The pass rush at home with much less contain and run threats should get to the an in time more often.

:T2: