Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: 486 Yards of Offense

I don't know, guys. How can you complain about a defensive effort that netted FOUR turnovers? Sure, they gave up a lot of yards, but they also got off the field and handed the ball to the offense four times! The offense did almost nothing with the opportunities the defense handed them.

If the offense could have stayed on the field, the defense gives up a lot fewer yards. But they couldn't. Philly beat us in TOP by almost 10 minutes despite coughing up the ball four times.

This game is down to the offense failing IMO. The defense could not have done a lot more. Only giving up 24 points when you give up ~500 yards is not bad scoring defense. Look how many yards a few other offenses got today, then look at the amount of points they put up.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's not just linebackers. If a TE is eating up a team they usually adjust which means at least some safety help. Celek was wide open the whole game. It's like no one was covering him.
    The people who were supposed to were watching Vick when they should have been covering Celek. It takes 1 player to spy on vick not 3 they could have had 2 LBs on Celek or been more effective by rushing him like they did early and it was working.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    The people who were supposed to were watching Vick when they should have been covering Celek. It takes 1 player to spy on vick not 3 they could have had 2 LBs on Celek or been more effective by rushing him like they did early and it was working.
    A spy is an assigned role. It's not decided by the players on the field. Tough to tell whose job it was from TV but it would probably be Ellerbe. That would leave Ray on the TE but he clearly wasn't there so there was some coverage plan that wasn't working and never adjusted.

Philly's D made ours look like really bad. Their coverage was awsome even though the refs made them look better, and the front seven got enough pressure on flacco to make him uncomfortable for most of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    I don't know, guys. How can you complain about a defensive effort that netted FOUR turnovers? Sure, they gave up a lot of yards, but they also got off the field and handed the ball to the offense four times! The offense did almost nothing with the opportunities the defense handed them.

If the offense could have stayed on the field, the defense gives up a lot fewer yards. But they couldn't. Philly beat us in TOP by almost 10 minutes despite coughing up the ball four times.

This game is down to the offense failing IMO. The defense could not have done a lot more. Only giving up 24 points when you give up ~500 yards is not bad scoring defense. Look how many yards a few other offenses got today, then look at the amount of points they put up.
    You keep talking about the turnovers as if they're a sign of a consistently excellent defense. They are not. Turnovers are essentially random. When a receiver tips a ball up into the air and a defender comes down with it, that's luck. Yes--you have to be in the right place at the right time. But there's no guarantee that you bring that pass in.

The same is true of a fumble in the field of play--it's essentially random who comes up with it.

Our defense will not be able to collect tipped balls every time they need to be bailed out of giving up 80 yard drives. Just think about it. You're NOT concerned that the Eagles receivers ran wild at will against our secondary? Watching Vick complete pass after pass to uncovered receivers is very, very worrying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    You keep talking about the turnovers as if they're a sign of a consistently excellent defense. They are not. Turnovers are essentially random. When a receiver tips a ball up into the air and a defender comes down with it, that's luck. Yes--you have to be in the right place at the right time. But there's no guarantee that you bring that pass in.

The same is true of a fumble in the field of play--it's essentially random who comes up with it.

Our defense will not be able to collect tipped balls every time they need to be bailed out of giving up 80 yard drives. Just think about it. You're NOT concerned that the Eagles receivers ran wild at will against our secondary? Watching Vick complete pass after pass to uncovered receivers is very, very worrying to me.
    I don't think it's relevant whether they're random or not. I do think that getting turnovers and not taking advantage of getting them is an offensive problem, not a defensive problem.

I think a big problem that i touched on all offseason and it was blown off by posters here was the lack of a nickel LB, especially if BA is not gonna be in that role. Celek is a good player but the day he had was just ridiculous. Hopefully its addressed soon, i was on the road so i didnt see the game but it sounds like the run defense was pretty good. Heard the pass rush was still anemic and besides that nothing else really alarming but Celek's numbers just pop off the box score.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I think a big problem that i touched on all offseason and it was blown off by posters here was the lack of a nickel LB, especially if BA is not gonna be in that role. Celek is a good player but the day he had was just ridiculous. Hopefully its addressed soon, i was on the road so i didnt see the game but it sounds like the run defense was pretty good. Heard the pass rush was still anemic and besides that nothing else really alarming but Celek's numbers just pop off the box score.
    This is something I don't understand. The Ravens had the best 3rd down defense in the NFL last year and you are going to take your Nickel LB out of his role??? It's one of the bigger head scratchers for me in the Pagano - Pees transition

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    This is something I don't understand. The Ravens had the best 3rd down defense in the NFL last year and you are going to take your Nickel LB out of his role??? It's one of the bigger head scratchers for me in the Pagano - Pees transition
    I dont get it either, go down the list of our LB's and they are all pretty horrible covering in space, Ray looks better since he's dropped weight but besides that we have nothing besides BA.

...was not the reason we lost. Under the current rules, that Eagles offense is built almost perfectly. They are fast everywhere and have a mobile QB. The defense did a good job to hold them to 24 points.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When is the last time a Ravens defense allowed almost 500 yards of offense against them?
    Wait until next week when Pees rushes 3 against Brady and gives him all day to find an open receiver. We'll wish it was only 500 yards given up.

My guess would be the Jets game the final week in 2000, where they got over 500 yards, but we won because Vinnie threw, I think, 4 interceptions, and Jermain Lewis ran back 2 punts for TDs.

That was a great game because we had nothing at stake with the #4 seed wrapped up, but the Jets needed to win to make the playoffs.